CB&Q Electrification

Discussion relating to the BN, and its predecessors GN, NP, CB&Q, SP&S, SL-SF, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
Tadman

CB&Q Electrification

Post by Tadman »

Was electrification ever studied for CB&Q's CUS-Aurora main? I know the big electrifcation craze was going on when the road triple-tracked in 1922, and built CUS in 1925 and IC started to electrify a few years later on their terminal operations. It seems a logical progression both then and today for Metra's busiest line, and also a nice way of not having to wye every scoot that goes downtown. Going past Aurora now, I can't even see where trains were wyed.
Dig the new rr.net Instagram account: @railroad_dot_net

Engineer Spike

Post by Engineer Spike »

1. I don't know if they studied electrification.
2. C&NW and Milwaukee had "scoots", The Q has "dinkies."
3. They are not turned. There is a cab control car on the east end.
4. In steam days, ther were turntables for the engines.

Tadman

Post by Tadman »

Makes sense about turning just the engine.

As for scoots, I stand corrected - however, since the legacy roads haven't been a factor since around 1980, and there was also a Plug (GM&O), Dummy (PRR), and Suburban (IC, as opposed to "commuter") I just call them all scoots except for the electric lines.
Dig the new rr.net Instagram account: @railroad_dot_net

Hawko

Post by Hawko »

In Chicago, BNSF crews still call commuter trains dinkys or suburbans.

route_rock

Post by route_rock »

If its close to 7 am and I am coming up the Mendota sub I call them Nap time lol

Dinkies, road blocks Nap time,pains in the rear. many names for them depending on the direction your trying to get your train to.

Engineer Spike

Post by Engineer Spike »

Rock,
I have spent many hrs. napping at Montgomery, Aurora, or W. Eola waiting for dinkies. I worked the dinkies '97-'98.

Return to “Burlington Northern, GN, NP, CB&Q, SP&S, SL-SF”