Railroad Forums 

• West Chicago Line

• Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
 #7721  by BN7151

Does anyone know what the status of the (possibly former) BN line to West Chicago, IL is? If it is still active, is there a diamond or flyover near the ex-C&NW line?
 #8715  by Engineer Spike

The connection in W. Chicago is no longer uesd. There is still lots of local work. I worked the line in '97, and switched industries in Batavia.
Just before the line connected with the CNW, it crossed the EJE. That diamond is out.

#9244  by bones

The "Irish Mail" was one of my favorite jobs when I worked there.

#58666  by AmtrakFan

Now their's talk about selling it I hear.

AmtrakFan

#58669  by AmtrakFan

Now their's talk about selling it I hear.

AmtrakFan

#59563  by arnstg

Took a drive up to W. Chicago today and can confirm that the line ends about 1-200 feet beyond the General Mills Distribution Center.

It must have been awhile ago since the residential streets have no hump for a RR crossing but have rails on both sides of the street.

#60465  by MR77100

Was this the CB&Q's original line?

#60554  by AmtrakFan

MR77100 wrote:Was this the CB&Q's original line?
Yes it was.

AmtrakFan

#83003  by Scotty Burkhardt

its been awhile since ive been to w. chicago but isnt the diamond still there? all the tracks are gone but just south of the U.P./ EJE junction theres an abandoned diamond on the EJE. (this belongs in an EJE forum)