Railroad Forums 

• Bar Harbor Express - East Wind (B&M/MEC Seasonal Service)

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1074416  by gokeefe

I received a particularly excellent reply in the Maine Eastern 2012 thread from user: eastwind regarding my trip report of First Class service on the Maine Eastern Railroad this past Saturday, August 18, 2012. eastwind addressed a number of very specific points with information that I felt would make a great start to a topic that I had been thinking of starting regardless. A search of the forum showed no topics that were sufficiently open ended to allow for continuous discussion of the summer seasonal services offered for so many years by the B&M and the MEC.

The Bar Harbor Express in particular lends itself to considerable discussion for several reasons. Among these are its clear status as being one of the foremost among several legendary named trains to have ever run along the B&M and MEC. And its substantial size which as discussed and documented elsewhere often required nearly a half dozen sections on more than one occasion. The Bar Harbor Express was of such importance to the MEC that I recall reading that the President of the railroad would personally make a full inspection of the entire right of way between Portland and Trenton each year prior to the beginning of service.

Even on the other major host railroads, PRR, B&A (briefly) and the NH (NYNH&H), I have seen descriptions and discussion of the Bar Harbor Express that referred to it in terms with an elite cachet usually reserved for such trains as the Broadway Limited and the 20th Century Limited.

Other accounts and discussion that I have seen elsewhere have also indicated that by many accounts the Bar Harbor Express was by far the finest service to ever run over the MEC in any era. Opinions and discussion of this particular aspect would be appreciated.

Here is eastwind's reply in full:
eastwind wrote:
gokeefe wrote:One of my particularly special reasons for wanting to ride in this car was to experience not only a) travel in a streamliner era Parlor Car but also b) travel in Maine in a Parlor Car. It could probably be argued that the Alexander Hamilton is in a very elite group of First Class cars that have ever provided regularly scheduled service in Maine the others having been in service on The Gull, Bar Harbor Express and East Wind, to name a few.
To those of us old enough to remember, there was a distinct difference between the two types of first-class service then available: parlor cars and sleeping cars. Both services required the purchase of a first-class rail ticket. Unlike current practice, which has only two charges—the rail fare, good in coach or first class, and the space charge for the room or business/first-class seat you occupy—prior to Amtrak there were two classes of rail fare, coach and first class. Coach was good only in coach. For occupancy of any parlor or sleeper accommodation, you had to pay the higher, first-class rail fare plus the space or seat charge.

Until the breakup of the company on January 1, 1969, sleeping cars in North America (with a few exceptions) were operated by the Pullman Company. Wherever you travelled, if you were in a sleeping car, you expected the same uniformly high quality service that the Pullman name stood for, whether on the Super Chief or the State of Maine.

Parlor cars, on the other hand, were for the most part operated by the individual roads. The occasional exception was noted prominently in the timetables as "Pullman parlor car." The Pennsylvania and the New Haven had the largest fleets of parlor cars in the nation; New York Central also had quite a few. All exclusively for day runs. Each road's parlor cars were unique to that road. Even on the interline trains with mixed equipment, such as The Senator between Boston and Washington, you could tell the moment you entered whether the car belonged to the PRR or the New Haven: The cars were configured and outfitted differently, and the attendants' uniforms indicated clearly which road they worked for and the rules by which they were governed.
gokeefe wrote:Maine Eastern's literature, which was passed out by ME's very helpful "Volunteer Ambassador", also reminded me that East Wind had terminated in Rockland after the war.
It did, but not for very long, and when it did, it did not carry parlor cars. Before the war, the East Wind ran from Washington to Bangor as an all-coach day train. Rockland was reached by connecting train. For a year or two, the train's cars were painted a bright yellow, leading to the nickname "The Yellow Kid."

After the war, when the train was revived, the pattern varied. According to the June 21, 1946 B&M timetable, the East Wind ran daily, June 22 through September 22, leaving Washington at 7:00 am, New York at 10:50 am, arriving Portland at 6:50 pm and Rockland at 9:25 pm. It carried three coaches and a buffet lounge from Washington to Rockland and a dining car as far as Portland. At New York, additional coaches and, on Fridays and Saturdays, another dining car were added to the train: one coach for Rockland and the rest of the cars for Portland. There were no connections to Bangor or other points, limiting the usefulness of the train.

The June 20, 1947 B&M timetable shows the train running on an earlier schedule, only from New York Penn Station (8:55 am) to Portland (5:15 pm), with four coaches, a buffet lounge, and a dining car. Connections to Rockland and Bangor were via the Pine Tree at Portland, which carried a B&M-MC parlor car Boston-Bangor, through coaches Boston-Bangor and Boston-Rockland, and, on Fridays only, through coaches and a sleeping car Boston-Saint John. Again, daily June 20 through September 20.

The next timetable I have is an Official Guide from June, 1951. It does not show the East Wind at all, only the perennial Bar Harbor, with the usual through sleepers from Washington, Philadelphia, and New York to Ellsworth, Rockland, Portland, and Plymouth NH.

According to the April 26, 1953 B&M timetable, the East Wind was back. It left Grand Central at 10:30 am (Daylight Saving Time) and arrived in Portland at 6:20 pm. It carried a Pullman Parlor Lounge car, grill or dining car, and "deluxe streamline coaches." (The grill cars were, as far as I know, unique to the New Haven, which used them on day runs where demand for dining service was expected to be lighter than would require a full dining car. Unlike dining cars with tables (and chairs) for four, the grill cars had longitudinal couches the length of the dining section and fixed tables for two facing across the aisle. As I recall, the menus were the same as in the dining cars; only the seating arrangement differed.) Connections to Rockland and Bangor were, again, via the Pine Tree at Portland, which had lost its Boston-Bangor parlor car and Friday cars to Saint John. The daily run lasted two weeks less, as well: June 27 to September 13.

Others with access to more information will have to say whether the East Wind ran beyond the 1953 season.

So, gokeefe, the short answer is: the East Wind did run to Rockland for at least a year, but not with parlor cars.

The train that did carry a parlor car to Rockland was the Kennebec to/from Boston, up in the morning and down in the afternoon. The B&M-MC parlor car ran during the summer only and, as far as I can tell, in 1946 and 1947 but gone by 1951.
gokeefe wrote:So in short the Alexander Hamilton is almost certainly the only other Parlor Car ever to travel regularly on the Rockland Branch aside from whatever First Class service there may have been on the East Wind. As far as I'm concerned that alone is enough to qualify Maine Eastern's service on the Rockland Branch as being of major significance to the history of the line.
I remember well seeing the Alexander Hamilton on the rear of the Afternoon Congressional at Newark NJ, where I used to hang out in the '60s watching Pennsy's afternoon parade: Broadway Limited, Spirit of St. Louis, Penn Texas, Cincinnati Limited, etc. etc. I used to wish I had the time (and money) to ride that car, one of a very few parlor-observation cars on any road. What a class act. Nice to know it's still around, giving people a taste of what used to be....
 #1075552  by gokeefe

The Pennsylvania Railroad Technical & Historical Society has an excellent document, written by a Christopher T. Baer (September 8, 2009 ed.), titled "NAMED TRAINS OF THE PRR INCLUDING THROUGH SERVICES" with what appears to be nearly definitive accounts of both the Bar Harbor Express and East Wind.

Here they are:

The Bar Harbor Express
BAR HARBOR EXPRESS:
Est. on PRR 6/11/1917 as WASHINGTON-BAR HARBOR EXPRESS; #175-176; summer-only,
all-Pullman train, Washington-Bangor-Rockland and Mt. Desert ferry (Mt. Desert definitely by
6/17/18); NEW YORK-BAR HARBOR EXPRESS ran from Grand Central prior to 1916;
combined with PRR train at Portland, Maine; Bretton Woods car added 6/29/1917; PRR train
renamed PHILADELPHIA-BAR HARBOR EXPRESS 6/14/1920; in 1922 operates twice a week
in May and Sept.-Oct. and three times a week June-Sept.; renumbered #169-170 6/19/1928;
renumbered #170-171 4/26/1931; NEW YORK-BAR HARBOR EXPRESS makes last run
9/20/1931, and beginning in 6/3/1932 a single BAR HARBOR EXPRESS operates via Penn
Station; renumbered #111-132 5/20/1932; last trip 9/27/1942; discontinued for war; restored
6/7/1946 (weekend) and 6/24/1946 (daily) operating via Providence & Worcester instead of
Norwich & Worcester (file - A-sheet says restored 6/25/46 daily north of Phila.); by 6/20/49
operates only three times a week; by 1951 operates only north of Philadelphia; PRR #184-185
discontinued between Philadelphia and New York 6/28/1954; continues to carry through cars
from Philadelphia and Washington; in 1955 operates twice a week; last trip daily car to Bretton
Woods and weekend car to Plymouth 9/3/1956; last trip Bangor-Ellsworth 9/15/1957; last trip
Philadelphia-Rockland car 9/1/1958; in 6/20-9/14/58 season is #184-185 THE BAR HARBOR;
last trip 9/5/1960.

The East Wind
*THE EAST WIND:
Est. 6/21/1940: #190/91-90/191; summer-only, all-coach heavyweight streamlined train,
Washington-Worcester-Lowell-Exeter-Portland-Bangor via PRR/NH/B&M/MEC; discontinued
as war measure, last trip 9/20/1942; revived 6/21/1946 as #192-193, Washington-Bangor; last trip
south of New York 9/22/1946; starting 6/20/1947 operates from New York with through cars
from Philadelphia; last trip of Plymouth, N.H., sleeper 9/11/1949; last trip from Penn Station
9/11/1949; begins operating from Grand Central Terminal as #120-121 6/26/1950; last trip
9/10/1950; revived from Grand Central 6/26/1953-9/12/1953, 6/25/1954-9/11/1954,6/24/1955-
9/10/1955; last trip 9/10/1955; name revived by Amtrak for Northeast Corridor trains 11/14/71-
2/14/76.
 #1075553  by gokeefe

In finding the above I also found the following:
WATERVILLE EXPRESS:
Est. on PRR 6/14/1932; #134/220; all-first class train operating 4 times a week, New York-
Portland-Waterville via NH/B&M with through cars from Washington; runs combined with the
STATE OF MAINE EXPRESS south of ___; combined with the BAR HARBOR EXPRESS eff.
9/6/1932; last trip 10/16/1932; not revived in 1933. (ran from GCT with cars from Penn Sta.!
from Guide have LT from GCT 9/18/32!)
This train ran for one summer and one summer only. Prior to reading about it today I had never heard of this train.
 #1075554  by gokeefe

The original Downeaster (The Down Easter) which I have read about before is also mentioned in the above quoted document:

The Down Easter
*THE DOWN EASTER:
Est. 7/1/1927; summer-weekend-only train Grand Central-Portland with through cars Bar Harbor,
Van Buren and Halifax; begins running from Penn Station 4/27/1941; summer-weekend-only
train Penn Station to Waterville, Maine, via NH/B&M/MEC; last trip 9/7/1942; discontinued for
war; revived 6/27/1947; #122-123; last trip of Plymouth, N.H., sleeper 9/5/1949; last trip
9/4/1950.
 #1075573  by gokeefe

To my further surprise and delight I was able to find a full color picture of the "New England Canary".

This site for modelers also has an excellent example of a poster for The East Wind, which was apparently marketed a lot more than I had ever realized.

This site, run by the New Haven Railroad Historical and Technical Association, has an excellent page dedicated solely the The East Wind.

Of note:
The East Wind proved very popular and was renewed again during the 1941 summer season. Here's the front cover of the folder that was distributed to promote the train's return in 1941. The length of the East Wind's season was slightly extended during 1941. The northbound train ran from June 20st until September 26th. The southbound train ran from June 21st until September 27th.
Furthermore:
The interior of the 1940 East Wind folder featured illustrations showing the interiors of the train's cars. Although the East Wind was a coach train, it served a fairly well-to-do clientele of people who had summer homes in Maine. Each coach seat on the train was reserved and many first class services normally associated with parlor cars (such as attendants) were available. Note the New Haven grill car interior shown at right.
So while The East Wind was without a doubt a "All-Coach" train, NH clearly was marketing it towards a crowd that would normally ride only in First Class.
 #1075807  by eastwind

gokeefe wrote:The East Wind
*THE EAST WIND:
Est. 6/21/1940: #190/91-90/191; summer-only, all-coach heavyweight streamlined train,
Washington-Worcester-Lowell-Exeter-Portland-Bangor via PRR/NH/B&M/MEC; discontinued
as war measure, last trip 9/20/1942; revived 6/21/1946 as #192-193, Washington-Bangor; last trip
south of New York 9/22/1946; starting 6/20/1947 operates from New York with through cars
from Philadelphia; last trip of Plymouth, N.H., sleeper 9/11/1949; last trip from Penn Station
9/11/1949; begins operating from Grand Central Terminal as #120-121 6/26/1950; last trip
9/10/1950; revived from Grand Central 6/26/1953-9/12/1953, 6/25/1954-9/11/1954,6/24/1955-
9/10/1955; last trip 9/10/1955; name revived by Amtrak for Northeast Corridor trains 11/14/71-
2/14/76.
Gokeefe, thanks for finding this document. Cataloging Pennsylvania RR train names for the entire 20th century is a massive undertaking, and I commend the author for making the attempt.

I did, however, notice a couple of errors in the listing for the East Wind:

(1) "revived 6/21/1946 as #192-193, Washington-Bangor" should read "revived 6/21/1946 as #192-193, Washington-Rockland," as noted in my previous post. This is what is printed in the June 21, 1946 Boston & Maine timetable, which I have. If the train was rerouted after the PTT was issued, that information would be in the Official Guides for that summer, which I do not have.
(2) "last trip of Plymouth, N.H., sleeper 9/11/1949" should not be there. The East Wind was a day train and did not carry sleepers.
(3) "last trip 9/10/1955" is indeed what is printed in the April 24, 1955 B&M timetable, and that was the plan. However, as Noel Weaver pointed out in his post in the NH Maine Passenger Service (with B&M/MEC/PRR/NYC) thread,
noel Weaver wrote:When the floods hit on August 19, 1955 the New Haven simply no longer operated the East Wind on any route and the train never again returned to the timetables.
The one-two punch of Hurricanes Connie and Diane in August 1955 devastated Connecticut and dealt the New Haven a blow from which it never recovered.
eastwind wrote:Others with access to more information will have to say whether the East Wind ran beyond the 1953 season.
I poked around down in the basement and discovered B&M timetables from April 25, 1954 and April 24, 1955. The East Wind ran GCT-Portland during the summers of both years, on essentially the same schedules, and with the same equipment.

Here are the schedules for 1953-1955 (all times Daylight Saving Time, not all stops shown):

1953 — GCT 10:30 am, New Haven 11:58 am, Hartford 12:43 pm, Worcester 2:48-3:00 pm, Lowell 4:05 pm, Portland 6:20 pm.
1954 — GCT 11:30 am, New Haven 12:58 pm, Hartford 1:43 pm, Worcester 3:50-4:00 pm, Lowell 5:02 pm, Portland 7:05 pm.
1955 — GCT 11:12 am, New Haven 12:43 pm, Hartford 1:29 pm, Worcester 3:38-3:50 pm, Lowell 5:03 pm, Portland 7:10 pm.

Equipment for all three years was: Pullman Parlor Lounge Car, Dining Car, and Deluxe Streamline Coaches.

I believe the shift to an hour later in 1954 was to allow a connection at New Haven from Philadelphia and New York Penn Station via the PRR-NH William Penn (Philadelphia-Boston), departing Philadelphia 9:30 am, New York 11:00 am, arriving New Haven 12:33 pm. This connection is shown in the timetable and was probably guaranteed.

Also interesting is that the 1954 schedule was shortened by 15 minutes over the 1953 schedule. In 1955 the schedule was lengthened by 23 minutes, which suggests that they had trouble keeping to the shorter schedule.

eastwind

[Edited for accuracy]
 #1075827  by eastwind

gokeefe wrote:In finding the above I also found the following:
WATERVILLE EXPRESS:
Est. on PRR 6/14/1932; #134/220; all-first class train operating 4 times a week, New York-
Portland-Waterville via NH/B&M with through cars from Washington; runs combined with the
STATE OF MAINE EXPRESS south of ___; combined with the BAR HARBOR EXPRESS eff.
9/6/1932; last trip 10/16/1932; not revived in 1933. (ran from GCT with cars from Penn Sta.!
from Guide have LT from GCT 9/18/32!)
This train ran for one summer and one summer only. Prior to reading about it today I had never heard of this train.
Rockland and Bar Harbor weren't the only destinations for summer people in Maine. They were just the longest-lasting, from a railroad point of view.

There was the Kineo House hotel, owned by the Maine Central and run by the SamOset, on an island in Moosehead Lake. Maine Central ran through sleepers up the Somerset branch to Kineo station, where passengers boarded a ferry for the short trip across the lake.
There was the Rangeley Lakes region, reached by through sleepers through Rumford to Oquossoc and Kennebago, and by through sleepers to Farmington for connection to the Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes narrow gauge.
And there was the Belgrade Lakes region, home to so many summer camps where urban dwellers sent their kids for the polio season. I wonder how many of those camps that remain today once received their campers by special "camp trains."

It was this latter region that prompted the Waterville Express. Whereas the Bar Harbor ran up the Back Road via Lewiston right through Belgrade, it made no stops between Portland and Waterville. To handle the Belgrade passengers, another train, following on the heels of the Bar Harbor, made all stops—Lewiston, Monmouth, Winthrop, Maranacook, Readfield, Belgrade, North Belgrade, and Oakland—up to Waterville, where it terminated.

In later years, the sleepers continued to run, but not in their own dedicated train. At various times, they ran in the Bar Harbor itself as far as Portland, where they were shunted onto another (unnamed) train that made the local stops to the Waterville terminus. Or they ran in another train, such as the Down Easter to Portland with the same forwarding by the Maine Central. It was only in its last years (the final season was the summer of 1960) that the Bar Harbor made the stops in the Belgrade Lakes region. By that time, the Waterville set-out cars were gone.

eastwind
 #1076039  by eastwind

eastwind wrote:It was only in its last years (the final season was the summer of 1960) that the Bar Harbor made the stops in the Belgrade Lakes region.
I should add that in the final year of its operation—1960— the Bar Harbor ran via the Lower Road through Augusta. The Maine Central had discontinued all passenger service on the Back Road via Lewiston the previous year.
 #1076178  by eastwind

gokeefe wrote:The Bar Harbor Express in particular lends itself to considerable discussion for several reasons. Among these are its clear status as being one of the foremost among several legendary named trains to have ever run along the B&M and MEC. And its substantial size which as discussed and documented elsewhere often required nearly a half dozen sections on more than one occasion.
Lest anyone doubt gokeefe's assertion, here is the consist of the Bar Harbor Express, B&M train 85, daily except Sunday, June 24 to Sept. 13 inc. (also Friday June 21), as given in the B&M timetable for June 21, 1946, the first season following the end of the war and the return to a peacetime economy:

"Sleeping Cars: Weekdays unless otherwise indicated.

Car W2 Washington to Ellsworth. 10 Sec. D.R. 2 Comp.
Car P4 Philadelphia to Ellsworth. 10 Sec. D.R. 2 Comp.
Car P6 Philadelphia to Ellsworth. 6 Comp. 3 D.R.
Car P8 Philadelphia to Ellsworth. 2 Comp. D.R. Buffet Lounge
Car P14 Phila. to Farmington. Fridays. 10 Sec. D.R. 2 Comp.
Car P16 Philadelphia to Portland. 10 Sec. D.R. 2 Comp.
Car P18 Philadelphia to Rockland. 10 Sec. D.R. 2 Comp.
Car P22 Philadelphia to Plymouth. Fri. only. 12 Sec. D.R.
Car N10 New York (Pa. Sta.)-Ellsworth. 10 Sec. D.R. 2 Comp.
Car N12 New York (Penn. Sta.) to Ellsworth. 12 Sec. D.R.
Car N14 New York (Penn Sta.) to Ellsworth. Ex. Fri. and Sun. 10 Sec. D.R. 2 Comp.
Car N20 New York (Pa. Sta.)-Rockland. 10 Sec. D.R. 2 Comp.
Car N22 New York (Pa. Sta.) to Rock. 12 Sec. D.R. Ex. Fri. and Sun.
Car N24 New York (Penn Sta.) to Plymouth. 10 Sec. D.R. 2 Comp. Except Saturdays and Sundays.

Fridays only June 28 to Aug. 30, inc. from New York. From Portland to Waterville on M.C. No. 5.
Car 146 New York (Pa. Sta.)-Waterville. 8 Sec. D.R. 2 Comp.
Car 147 New York (Pa. Sta.) to Waterville. 12 Sec. D.R.
Car 148 New York (Pa. Sta.) to Waterville. 12 Sec. D.R.
Car 149 New York (Pa. Sta.) to Rockland. 12 Sec. D.R.
Car 150 New York (Pa. Sta.) to Rockland. 6 Comp. 3 D.R.
Car 151 New York (Pa. Sta.)-Rockland. 8 Sec. Buffet Lounge.
Car 152 New York (Pa. Sta.)-Plymouth. 8 Sec. D.R. 2 Comp.
Dining Car: Philadelphia to New Haven.
Coach (reclining seat): Philadelphia to Ellsworth. Portland to Rockland."

Whew!

This train left Philadelphia (Broad Street) daily except Sunday at 4:30 pm (Standard Time) with 8 cars, 6 of them Pullmans (including Car W2, which had been brought up from Washington on a New York express). A decent-sized train in its own right.
Fridays it carried 2 additional Pullmans, one bound for Plymouth N.H. (Lake Winnepesaukee) and one bound for Farmington! (Rangeley Lakes), for a total of 10.

At New York, the train increased in size.
Monday through Thursday it left New York with 12 cars, 10 of them Pullmans.
Saturday it left New York with 13 cars, 11 of them Pullmans.
On Fridays the Bar Harbor Express left New York at 6:30 pm with 21 cars, 19 of them Pullmans, a length that would outstrip the capacity of all but the longest platforms at Penn Station. And these are just the regularly assigned cars, not counting any temporary additions (notice the gaps in the car numbers for just such an occasion) or private cars. There is no doubt in my mind that this train frequently ran in sections.

One clue to this is that in the following year, 1947, the Bar Harbor Express carried only cars to Portland, Ellsworth and Rockland. The Friday-only Waterville and Plymouth cars and additional cars to Rockland (the Philadelphia-Farmington car had been discontinued), were carried in the Down Easter, which left New York Penn Station (where it originated) Fridays only, 40 minutes after the BHE.

At Portland, the train arrived at 3:30 am (Standard Time)—minus the dining car, which had been taken off at New Haven, and minus the Plymouth cars, which had been taken off at Lowell—and was broken apart.
• Eight cars, 7 of them Pullmans, continued to Ellsworth (except Friday night-Saturday morning, 7 and 6), departing at 3:50 am, arriving Waterville at 6:00 am, Ellsworth 7:35 am. Breakfast was available in the Buffet Lounge in Car P8.
• One car, Car P16, was set out at Portland for occupancy until a more reasonable hour.
• Three cars (on Friday night-Saturday morning 5), all of them Pullmans, continued to Rockland in MeC train 53, which also carried a rider coach Portland-Rockland, departing at 4:50 am, arriving Brunswick 5:29 am and Rockland 7:33 am. Breakfast was available in the Buffet Lounge in Car 151 on Saturday mornings only.
• Three cars, all of them Pullmans, were put on MeC train 5 for Waterville, Saturday mornings only, departing at 6:15 am, arriving Lewiston 7:29 am, Belgrade 8:39 am, and Waterville 9:08 am. Presumably, breakfast was available in the station in Portland.
• Finally, one car, Car P14, was put on MeC train 7 for Farmington, Saturday mornings only, departing at 6:50 am and arriving Danville Jct. (Poland Spring) 7:33 am, Lewiston 7:45 am, and Farmington 9:40 am.

It must have been fun to be in Lewiston station on a Saturday morning to see, first, the Bar Harbor Express come barreling through without stopping, followed about two hours later by train 5 with three sleepers for Waterville, followed 16 minutes later by train 7 with two more sleeping cars, for Farmington, one off the Bar Harbor Express from Philadelphia and one off the State of Maine Express from Grand Central.

What about those coaches? Wasn't the Bar Harbor an all-Pullman train? In 1947 and following years, it was; the coach ran in the Down Easter, restoring the Bar Harbor to its all-Pullman status. But in 1946, when everything ran in one train, one coach was in the train between Philadelphia and Ellsworth, and another on train 53 Portland-Rockland, no doubt for the household staff who accompanied their employers to their "summer cottages."

eastwind

[Edited for clarity]
 #1076343  by eastwind

This post from Noel Weaver in the NH Maine Passenger Service (with B&M/MEC/PRR/NYC) thread provides additional information about the operation of the East Wind and about how through cars from PRR points were handled by the New Haven:
Noel Weaver wrote:The summer of 1949 was the last summer that the East Wind ran out of Penn Station, New York so that was the last year that the Pennsylvania Railroad was involved in this operation. Starting in 1950 the East Wind was strictly a New Haven and Boston and Maine operation between Grand Central Terminal, New York and Portland, Maine.
In addition to this there were a number of trains which operated on the New Haven especially in the summer months that were mostly a New Haven, Boston and Maine and maybe Maine Central operation which operated out of Grand Central Terminal, New York but carried through sleepers from south of New York via the Pennsylvania Railroad. For the most part these particular cars were forwarded between PRR points and New Haven on trains 168 and 169 and switched at New Haven. The Night White Mountains to Bretton Woods, NH and the Night Cape Codder to Hyannis both had sleeper(s) to and from Washington and in the case of the Night Cape Codder these cars were switched at New Haven while the Bretton Woods cars were either switched at New Haven or at White River Junction. My old passenger timetables from the New Haven over the years gave details of these interesting operations, a lot of revenue passenger cars were switched at New Haven, both pullmans and coaches. In those days the New Haven had station switchers at both ends of the passenger station, the East End job and the West End job, there was a lot of work in New Haven in those days. There was an additional West End job on nights as well as a Mail Engine that just switched the mail house around the clock, it was that busy in those days.
Noel Weaver
Thank you, Mr. Weaver.

eastwind
 #1078554  by eastwind

Cross-posted from the Surviving Maine Central Passenger Equipment thread:
gokeefe wrote:As noted in Mr. Van Bokkelen's roster of Maine Central Passenger equipment MEC #15 Merrymeeting and MEC #16 Arundel were separated from the other MEC Pullman Lightweight Stainless cars when they were sold in 1960 to the Missouri Pacific (MP). Merry Meeting and Arundel were sold to the Chicago & Eastern Illinois (C&EI), were they were given named and numbered Merry Young, #603 and (oddly) Merrymeeting #604 respectively. Ironically, the C&EI was taken over by the MP in 1967, however part of the merger stipulation required some portion of the railroad (and apparently rolling stock as well) to go to the Louisville & Nashville Railroad (L&N). #15 & #16 were among the rolling stock that transferred to the L&N were they were named and numbered Dixie Traveler, #2800 and Dixie Journey, #2801 respectively. Although unlikely it at least seems possible that some of the former MEC cars would have been operated together at some point between 1967 and 1970 before the L&N assumed control of their portion of the C&EI.
The Maine Central diners were "separated from the other MEC Pullman Lightweight Stainless cars [that] were sold in 1960 to the Missouri Pacific" because they had already been sold—in 1951, to the C&EI as you noted. In other words, the Maine Central owned two brand-new LW dining cars for only four years.

From timetables of the period I can find evidence that these dining cars' regular assignment was only in the summer-only Bar Harbor, between Portland and Ellsworth and between Portland and Rockland. If these cars were in fact idle during the rest of the year (I would appreciate any clarification on this point), no wonder the Maine Central was willing to part with them so soon.

But it also begs the question: Since the summer 1953 B&M timetable, two years after the sale, again shows the Bar Harbor carrying dining cars Portland-Ellsworth and Portland-Rockland, whose cars were they? Again, I would appreciate any input.

That these cars were in Amtrak service—or at least ownership—between 1971 and 1977 is a fascinating footnote. Where did they run? Is it possible some of us may have actually ridden in them and not known it? And what became of them after their retirement?

eastwind

[Attachment from The Official Pullman-Standard Library, Volume 10—Northeast Railroads, page 130.]
Attachments:
MeC_diners.jpg
MeC_diners.jpg (124.22 KiB) Viewed 11006 times
 #1237145  by eastwind

In the State of Maine - The Gull thread I posted some information on sleeper-lounge cars that were also used on the Bar Harbor. I just wanted to cross-reference that information, and also to bump up this thread since it's been inactive for over a year.
 #1237206  by gokeefe

eastwind wrote:That these cars were in Amtrak service—or at least ownership—between 1971 and 1977 is a fascinating footnote. Where did they run? Is it possible some of us may have actually ridden in them and not known it? And what became of them after their retirement?
Look further down in the surviving passenger equipment thread. I was able to locate ARUNDEL. MERRYMEETING BAY is still status "unknown". ARUNDEL's ownership trace is fairly straightforward. MERRYMEETING BAY vanishes into thin air when Amtrak's Heritage Fleet is sold off.
 #1238470  by eastwind

There's an interesting two-page thread in The NHRHTA New Haven Railroad Forum about the East Wind. It includes a listing of the consists both pre- and post-war, as well as confirmation of which Atlantic Coast Line diners were assigned to the train.
 #1238534  by gokeefe

Some of the discussion appears to indicate that the names of cars used by the modeling company may be fictitious. A quick check of the Passenger Car Photo Index listing for the Atlantic Coast Line appears to support this.

Regardless its certainly a very useful thread. I found the information regarding articles in historical jounals to be particularly significant. These are likely some of the best write ups ever done on these subjects anywhere.