Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #432476  by arnstg

I grew up in South Buffalo in the late 40's. I recall my parents taking me to a restaurant somewhere south that was along side the former BR&P.

As I recall, it may have been somewhere south of Orchard Park. It was on a 2 lane road that went through rolling hills.

There was a downgrade to go under the old BR&P which went roughly NW to SE. On the upgrade to the right was the driveway to the restaurant.

When you entered the restaurant, there a bowling alley off to the left with maybe 4 lanes. Across from the entrance was a bar on the west side which went north and curved west. The floor was wood which makes me think that there was entertainment on weekends.

Tables were arranged along the North and East side for meals. It was from these windows that B&O freight could be seen. Quite a sight for a pre-teen at that time.

As I recall, the name of the place began with an L. The only names I can recall were something like "Luder's" or "Luber's".

My question is where it was, its name, and if anything still exists of it.

Tjhanks in advance for info.
Last edited by arnstg on Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

B&P

#445326  by AbandonedRailroader

I believe you are talking about N. Lake Drive at S. Buffalo rd. in Orchard Park. From what i know it is all apartment over there now. The line is still active but hasn't seen a train in 10 years at this location.

#445544  by arnstg

Much appreciate the response. I will check it out next summer when I visit old friends that live around Buffalo.

Again, thanks!
 #492762  by tomjohn

I seem to recall that the restaurant that you are mentioning was or is in Springville,NY because I have eaten there, I definitely know the B.R. & P. RY ran through there ...

Tom
 #493015  by arnstg

Hmm. The name "Springville" rings a very vague bell with me.

Does the place still exist and where is/was the the restaurant?

Strange. A memory from the late 40's still haunts me some 60 years later.

Appreciate the response.

Jerry