Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #624041  by BR&P

Further Bob's post - Ah yes, the once-a-month (Thursday night?) travelogue - attended a good many of them, seem to recall one lecturer named Thayer Soule and countless others whose name I have forgotten. Sometimes boring, sometimes interesting,and a few occasions where they showed railroads in whatever location was the subject and that was the high point for me.

Also, would like to say that having been over every inch of the tracks in the area I never saw any signs of old embankments, nor have I even seen any old maps, indicating B&O crossed over to access that line. I would say with 99.9% certainty it did not ever do so and am 100% that is the case from let's say 1950 on.

The First Belt sometimes went back into the Old Way, other times the Second Belt, (some days both) and on occasion they spent quite a bit of time there. The day President Kennedy was assassinated, we were dismissed from school early. A friend and I arrived at Keystone Builders just as the Second Belt did, and in an unusual occurrence they had an extra caboose, NYC 20014, being deadheaded north and it was right behind the power (the regular caboose was at the rear of their train out on the Charlotte Branch main). We knew the head brakeman, "Farmer" Heeg, and rode the caboose while they switched Keystone, went back to the train, and pulled down to Kodak. (the power, as usual, was Alco RS-1s).