Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #21796  by rnetzlof

The B&O had at least one and maybe more than two long Vanderbilt tenders which were fitted with 3 2-axle trucks. The third truck was roughly halfway between the normal two.

Does anyone know what mechanical arrangement was made to give that middle truck necessary side play when going around curves?

#255796  by steemtrayn

I'd like to know too, so I figured I'd bring this thread back to the top.
 #256437  by hutton_switch

rnetzlof wrote:The B&O had at least one and maybe more than two long Vanderbilt tenders which were fitted with 3 2-axle trucks. The third truck was roughly halfway between the normal two.

Does anyone know what mechanical arrangement was made to give that middle truck necessary side play when going around curves?
My copy of Q - The Definitive History of The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company's Q-Class Mikado Locomotives by Howard N. Barr and William A. Barringer with the assistance of Harry C. Eck and Charles S. Roberts states in the captions for two photos of a three-truck tender on page 162:

(first photo) "No. 18-A tender tank on No. 27-A frame lengthened in 1929. Two new 7'-6" sections added at center and one 4'-0" section at back of hopper. Total increase of 19'-0" with a four-wheel locomotive truck placed in center. End trucks with leaf springs and center truck with inside journals.
(second photo) "Changed in same year by replacing all three trucks by identical Vulcan type freight trucks with coil springs. Used with Q-4b locomotive 4468 from the time first lengthened until a short time after the change, then transferred to an articulated locomotive."
Both photos from the W.A. Barringer Collection

This may or may not answer your question. If not, I suggest you post your inquiry over at the Yahoo B&O Forum (of course, you'll have to join) at this address: http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/B ... e_and_Ohio. Howard Barr is deceased, but Bill Barringer is a frequent participant at this forum, and he should be able to answer your question. The knowledge base at this Yahoo group is the best anywhere about the B&O, and answers to inquiries are nearly always quick, accurate, and comprehensive.