Railroad Forums 

Discussion about Florida passenger rail operations including proposals. Official web-sites:
Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority
For Virgin Rail/Brightline: Virgin Trains Worldwide (includes Brightline)

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

#595817  by livesteamer

Can anybody enlighten me about Tri-Rail's photo policy particularly while riding and trying to shoot pictures through the "railfan window" in the push mode? I was riding north on Sunday and conductor got just a tad bit pissy with me when I attempt to shoot some pictures. I was not in his way and was behind the red strap that blocked the way into the front seats. He never told me it was against the rules but made it very clear I was not welcome to stand near his red strap.
 #595991  by Noel Weaver

livesteamer wrote:Can anybody enlighten me about Tri-Rail's photo policy particularly while riding and trying to shoot pictures through the "railfan window" in the push mode? I was riding north on Sunday and conductor got just a tad bit pissy with me when I attempt to shoot some pictures. I was not in his way and was behind the red strap that blocked the way into the front seats. He never told me it was against the rules but made it very clear I was not welcome to stand near his red strap.
If I had been the conductor on that train, I probably would have told you to sit down too. It is pretty obvious that you were in
the way, the conductors move about from time to time as do the guards.
Riding the first car on a Tri-Rail train in push mode is NOT a good idea anyway. As you could tell riding the train, there are
highway grade crossings all over the place and crossing accidents are a way of life on our commuter trains. Standing in the
head car, you are inviting trouble if not with the crew, in other ways. I ride these trains too sometimes and I do not ride the
lead cab control car if I can avoid it.
Noel Weaver
 #596088  by livesteamer

Riding in the lead car in the push mode has never been a problem for me. As a kid, I rode the head-end car of Lackawanna MUs (in the motorman control cab with my dispatcher grandfather). Commuter lines all over the country use push-pull and the FRA has clearly authorized the lead car for riders. Even in the case of the most tragic commuter rail crash in California, the locomotive was in the lead.

Not back on topic: In this particular case, the lead car was open. I need to make it clear that I was NOT in the conductor's way--he never indicated that I needed to sit down or that I was blocking his way. He simply indicated that shooting pictures out of the front window was not acceptable to him personally--he never cited a Tri-Rail policy and the ticket guard never challenged me either. I did choose to return to my seat in the lower level of the lead car because I did not want to cause a scene standing on my constitutional right to shoot pictures absent a "no picture policy" for Tri-Rail.

Simple put, does Tri-Rail have no photo policy while riding their trains?
 #596151  by Noel Weaver

livesteamer wrote:Riding in the lead car in the push mode has never been a problem for me. As a kid, I rode the head-end car of Lackawanna MUs (in the motorman control cab with my dispatcher grandfather). Commuter lines all over the country use push-pull and the FRA has clearly authorized the lead car for riders. Even in the case of the most tragic commuter rail crash in California, the locomotive was in the lead.

Not back on topic: In this particular case, the lead car was open. I need to make it clear that I was NOT in the conductor's way--he never indicated that I needed to sit down or that I was blocking his way. He simply indicated that shooting pictures out of the front window was not acceptable to him personally--he never cited a Tri-Rail policy and the ticket guard never challenged me either. I did choose to return to my seat in the lower level of the lead car because I did not want to cause a scene standing on my constitutional right to shoot pictures absent a "no picture policy" for Tri-Rail.

Simple put, does Tri-Rail have no photo policy while riding their trains?
Mod edit: Noel, I've cleaned up this post. You can make your point, but there is no call for personal attacks.

The lead car might have been open, most likely it was because they really need all of them these days but often they close
off the extreme front section in push mode.
Yes, you have been OK riding the front car in the past and on the Lackawanna MU's, it was and still is a lot different.
Tri-Rail has a lot of road crossings in their territory and they have an incident just about every week and sometimes even
more. The trains move pretty fast and the automobile and truck drivers are not only careless but often just plain stupid. I have had more than one
clown honk their horn at me for stopping clear of a crossing while traffic was stopped up ahead.
Noel Weaver
 #596191  by Kurt-Trirail

livesteamer wrote:Simple put, does Tri-Rail have no photo policy while riding their trains?
This question can be answered quite easily with an email to TRCX. If anyone can provide me with a genuine email from Tri-Rail providing official documentation outlining their policies (Hearsay from peon customer service representatives does not count), contact me via PM. If the documentation is genuine, I will open this thread once again to publish the information.

In the meantime, this subject is closed.

-Kurt