Railroad Forums 

• COVID-19 Effects on SEPTA

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1537524  by NorthPennLimited

I’m retiring at the end of the month. My age concerns me about commuting on the train, so I’ve been driving to the city. The experts on TV say the older you get, the greater your chances are for complications if you get the virus. I can tell you that ridership has definitely plummeted just from looking at head-counts on the train or observing parking lots.

But everything in life (and business) is cyclical. The ups and downs are what make it interesting. Making out of the down times are what make us stronger to attack the next challenge life throws at us.

I’m sure in the not too distant future, oil prices will go back to the stratosphere, traffic will get unbearable, and suburbanites will flock back to the train when it becomes a cheaper, faster, easier alternative to commute to work.
 #1537742  by rcthompson04

Regional Rail drops to essential service schedule effective March 30 after a whopping 94% drop in ridership. Basically 2 hour headways on each line other than some rush hour times will be an hour and 4 hour headways past Malvern on Paoli-Thorndale. Cymwyd gets 3 trains a day in each direction Monday-Friday. Airport Line runs once an hour. No service to Newark or Churchmans Crossing.

https://www.septa.org/service/rail/midday-schedule.html
 #1537808  by JimBoylan

This is old news from SEPTA.org, but may still be in effect, especially the last line:
March 20
Temporary Closure of Regional Railroad Station Ticket Windows & Waiting Rooms
Following the health recommendations for social distancing, we are temporarily closing the Ticket Windows & Waiting Rooms at ALL outlying Regional Rail Stations beginning Friday, March 20
Fares will continue to be available for purchase at the five Center City Station Ticket Offices and the SEPTA Key Fare Kiosks at these stations
Regional Rail Service Continues to Operate - Please check www.septa.org - for the latest service and schedule information
Until further notice, all cash fares paid on board trains for travel from an Outlying Station, will be at the reduced Weekend/Evening rate
 #1537906  by ChesterValley

March 30th, 2020

Overnight service will be suspended on the Market Frankford and Broad Street Lines between 1 a.m. to 4:30 a.m. All other times, the Saturday schedule will be in effect. These changes will be in effect 7 days a week. Please check back for further schedule information.

Please note: MFL/BSL Owl service will not operate during service suspension hours
no more 24/7 service on the el and no replacement bus service.

I am beginning to wonder the ramifications of COVID-19 long term, transit is down 70% and regional rail down 94%.

Gas prices are rock bottom right now with the fight between Russia and Saudi Arabia with oil nearing 25 dollars a barrel, unemployment across the nation skyrocketing to 3.5 million in the span of a week with PA accounting for 540,000. Drexel right now is having a hell of a time with its co-op program, everyone I know had their co-ops delayed in some manner to the beginning of April or May with some large companies outright cancelling co-ops

I just wish that all the track work and repairs could be taken care of now.
 #1537930  by AlexC

https://www.fox29.com/news/septa-announces-schedule-changes-patco-announces-station-closures-amid-covid-19-pandemic
The following PATCO stations will close temporarily:

- Ashland (riders are encouraged to use the Lindenwold or Woodcrest Stations)
- Westmont (riders are encouraged to use the Haddonfield or Collingswood Stations)
- City Hall (riders are encouraged to use the Broadway Station)
- 12/13th & Locust St. (riders are encouraged to use the 9/10th or 15/16th & Locust St. Stations)
 #1538567  by JimBoylan

Somehow, this didn't get posted here earlier:
All Fools' day changes:
Rte. 101 Media trolley using substitute busses on a half hour schedule.
Rte. 102 Sharon Hill trolley service suspended.
Mar. 30 changes:
No subway or replacement Owl bus service between 1 a.m. and 4:30 a.m.
 #1538943  by glennk419

Further reductions to Septa service across all rail modes:

Fair use quote:
PHILADELPHIA - A new SEPTA lifeline service schedule will go into effect on Thursday, April 9. The new schedule focuses on providing access for essential workers traveling to hospitals, grocery stores and other life-sustaining services.
https://www.fox29.com/news/septa-announ ... 5xOoLZhEKE
 #1538971  by phillyrube

NorthPennLimited wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:15 pm I’m retiring at the end of the month. My age concerns me about commuting on the train, so I’ve been driving to the city. The experts on TV say the older you get, the greater your chances are for complications if you get the virus. I can tell you that ridership has definitely plummeted just from looking at head-counts on the train or observing parking lots.

But everything in life (and business) is cyclical. The ups and downs are what make it interesting. Making out of the down times are what make us stronger to attack the next challenge life throws at us.

I’m sure in the not too distant future, oil prices will go back to the stratosphere, traffic will get unbearable, and suburbanites will flock back to the train when it becomes a cheaper, faster, easier alternative to commute to work.
Kids are getting bored, 5 of them rolled a postal worker the other night at City Hall station.
 #1539038  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: (Post 1 of 2)

SEPTA has posted detailed information on service changes effective April 9, 2020:
http://septa.org/covid-19/service-information.html

These Regional Rail Lines remain in service with revised schedules:
Fox Chase
Lansdale (no service to Doylestown)
Media-Elwyn
Paoli-Malvern (no service to Thorndale)
Trenton
Warminster

Regional Rail Lines suspended:
Chestnut Hill East AND West
Cynwyd
Manayunk/Norristown
West Trenton
Wilmington/Newark

RRD Train Crew shortages may be the reason for these drastic cutbacks...MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1539041  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: (Post 2)

The Market-Frankford Line will serve these stations (in order west to east):
69th Street
60th Street
52nd Street
40th Street
34th Street
30th Street
15th Street
11th Street
8th Street
Spring Garden
Girard
Berks
Huntingdon
Erie-Torresdale
Arrott (Margaret-Orthodox)
Frankford TC

The Broad Street Line will serve these stations:
Fern Rock TC
Olney
Hunting Park
Erie
Allegheny
North Philadelphia
Cecil B. Moore
Girard
Race/Vine
City Hall
Walnut/Locust
Ellsworth/Federal
Snyder
Oregon
NRG/Pattison

The Broad-Ridge Spur will serve these stations Monday to Saturday:
Fern Rock, Olney, Erie, North Philadelphia, Girard, 8th Street.

Sub-surface trolley stations closed: 13th, 19th, 33th and 36th Street.

There is a group of 50 bus routes remaining in service.
All other routes are suspended until further notice.

These are tough cutbacks in a transit-dependent City of Philadelphia.
With crew and staff shortages this is a necessity for now at least...MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1539067  by bikentransit

On a railroad related note, I wonder if SEPTA will run pilot trains on the OOS lines to maintain the physical plant or if everything will be left to rust.
 #1539078  by MACTRAXX

Patrick Boylan wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:27 pm It would be nice if they'd say which are the 50, or is it 60, routes that will remain in service.
PB: Scroll down the listings of the posted changes effective 4/9.
The schedules for 48 transit routes are shown along with mention of buses
such as the Horsham Breeze that will remain in service. I counted 50 total.
MACTRAXX