Railroad Forums 

• DRPA seeking federal money to reopen Franklin Square Station

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1526434  by WashingtonPark

The DRPA's not interested in any more rail lines. This is why they didn't put in to operate the Trenton or Glassboro Lines, although they were quick to agree to handle all the grant money for the eternally studied Glassboro line. They actually had TNJ look at taking over the PATCO line but I was told it was too much of a white elephant and they'd still have to keep all the physical plant to maintain subway cars on standard gauge track. I also heard they tried to pawn it off on SEPTA and they didn't want it either, but I only have second hand knowledge of that. PATCO also refused to run the line any further south which is how AMTRAK and NJT got into running to AC.
 #1526462  by rcthompson04

DRPA taking over the MFL or Broad Street Line is beyond a fantasy. The only reason PATCO appears to be better ran is that it is a stand alone operation with a very narrow focus. I am in favor of abolishing DRPA for other reasons (bloated patronage and cronyism).

I have wondered for a while if the best way to handle PATCO and the Atlantic City Line would be for them to be folded into SEPTA from an operations perspective with NJ Transit owning PATCO so all commuter entering Philadelphia was under one banner.