Railroad Forums 

• New SEPTA Loco

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1479174  by mcgrath618

liftedjeep wrote:
mcgrath618 wrote:Time to stop at Radnor station on the way home from work and hope I get lucky!
As of last week, the Septa Sprinters were still in testing. #901 was spotted testing on the West Trenton Line last week.
Ben
It literally says in the article that 901 will be making a run on the Paoli/Thorndale line today.
 #1479175  by zebrasepta

One part of the article that seems to be a typo is
Starting in 2020 and 2021, the locomotives will pull double-decker coaches that are capable of carrying more passengers than standard coaches. SEPTA plans to buy up to 55 of the coaches at cost of $174.3 million.
I thought they were getting 45 coaches/cabs unless there were 10 options
 #1479176  by liftedjeep

mcgrath618 wrote:
liftedjeep wrote:
mcgrath618 wrote:Time to stop at Radnor station on the way home from work and hope I get lucky!
As of last week, the Septa Sprinters were still in testing. #901 was spotted testing on the West Trenton Line last week.
Ben
It literally says in the article that 901 will be making a run on the Paoli/Thorndale line today.
My mistake.
I didn't even see that post with the article until your mention of it. Thank you!
Ben
 #1479177  by mcgrath618

zebrasepta wrote:One part of the article that seems to be a typo is
Starting in 2020 and 2021, the locomotives will pull double-decker coaches that are capable of carrying more passengers than standard coaches. SEPTA plans to buy up to 55 of the coaches at cost of $174.3 million.
I thought they were getting 45 coaches/cabs unless there were 10 options
There were indeed 10 options.
 #1479191  by CNJGeep

9561 tonight, 9538 tomorrow AM if everything goes to plan.
 #1479198  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - in case anyone has not seen the SEPTA ACS64 Inaugural Run press release:

http://www.septa.org/media/releases/2018/7-11-18.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting that they chose CHE for this ceremony remembering the 1987 testing assignment run I
rode on that line for the then-new AEM7s - the locomotive was barely able to get under way before
having to brake again to stop with line stations so close together. Those test runs then determined
that the push-pull trains were best used on runs with longer distances between stations.

CHE may have been used because track space there is readily available for a display of this type.

Train 9561 today and 9538 tomorrow could be a regular assignment for #901 for now.

To better phrase the new multilevel cars to be delivered beginning in 2020: 45 cars with an add-on
option for 10 additional cars to total 55. These cars will help address the 50 percent RRD ridership
increase in the last 15 years (since 2003) and to free up some MU cars for other added services.

MACTRAXX
 #1479226  by ChesterValley

I was on the Paoli train and saw the new ACS-64 come roaring by at Villanova Station. SEPTA's Great Valley flyer has a brand spanking new engine, SPAX 901. Great sight to see the investment in our future. Act-89 has a new shiny engine to show for it, but there is much more work that needs to be done.
 #1479473  by mcgrath618

Decided to splurge a little and rode the GVF today with a friend.
Truly awesome to see it in person
 #1479476  by MACTRAXX

mcgrath618 wrote:Decided to splurge a little and rode the GVF today with a friend.
Truly awesome to see it in person
MCG (and Everyone):
The problem with taking the GVF west of Paoli if you plan to return east is the long gap between
weekday evening eastbound trains from Thorndale: 5:36 and then 7:40 pm.

The current GVF stops at Paoli at 5:38 pm and only Malvern (5:42 W, 5:53 E) would allow enough
turnaround time provided the GVF is on or close to schedule to chance a long (unwanted) layover.
From Paoli east there are more scheduled local trains along with the 106 bus nearby if necessary.

The better long express or push-pull ride is taking one of the afternoon expresses to Newark, DE.
The early express leaves Jefferson Station at 3:05 pm; The PM Peak express leaves JS at 5:04 pm.
These trains arrive at Wilmington 3:55 and Newark at 4:14; 5:57 WIL and 6:26 NRK respectively.

From Newark and Wilmington there are three afternoon/evening limited stop trains to CCP:
4:46, 5:46 and 6:46 pm from Newark; 5:15, 6:15 and 7:06 pm from Wilmington.

I took a Newark afternoon round trip earlier this year using an Independence Pass thanks to this
being one of the longest possible RRD one way rides (38 miles to NRK) from CCP along with there
being no pass or schedule restrictions which are present on other lines that use push-pull trains.

It will remain to be seen how SEPTA replaces the eight current motors (using a PRR term used
for electric locomotives) with the new ACS64 Sprinter units. We may be saying "farewell" within
the next year with at least eight ACS64s in service making outright replacement possible...
MACTRAXX
 #1479507  by glennk419

From both of the photos above, it appears that Siemens has "recommended" to SEPTA that the rear pantograph be raised toward the direction of travel. This is opposite of SEPTA's practice with the AEM-7's and ALP44.

Thanks to Bob and McGrath for the great shots.
 #1479517  by amtrakhogger

Will Septa have throttle limitations when the new locos run on the Reading Side?
 #1479712  by JeffK

This https://www.metro.us/news/septa-locomotives-acs-64 was in The Metro over the weekend.

One sentence caught my eye: "The ACS-64 ...can reach speeds of 100 MPH, although with Positive Train Control on Regional Tracks, no train will go over a top speed limit of 80 MPH". Is the hidden meaning that they might get to stretch their legs on NEC and Keystone rails?
 #1479718  by mcgrath618

JeffK wrote:This https://www.metro.us/news/septa-locomotives-acs-64 was in The Metro over the weekend.

One sentence caught my eye: "The ACS-64 ...can reach speeds of 100 MPH, although with Positive Train Control on Regional Tracks, no train will go over a top speed limit of 80 MPH". Is the hidden meaning that they might get to stretch their legs on NEC and Keystone rails?
They already have. My phone speedometer hit 90 mph on the GVF last week. Take that how you will.