Railroad Forums 

• Silverliner Vs Out of Service - Technical Topics

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1400864  by JeffK

EDM5970 wrote:... and Boeing tried their hand at trolley cars nearby.
Boeing's LRVs were definitely the outliers in that list of manufacturers. I forget the exact circumstances around how they got into the transit-vehicle business, but suffice it to say that their excellence in aerospace didn't translate to designing and building trolleys. The cars were trouble-plagued almost from day one and were pulled after barely a decade.
 #1400871  by Head-end View

Boing's trolleys weren't well liked in Boston either apparently. Though I thought they were better looking vehicles than their stable-mates built by Kinki-Sharyo I believe. The Boeings are gone but the K/S's continue to soldier on there.
 #1400953  by Limited-Clear

They at least found the latest defect while keeping a close eye on them, not many cars affected, Septa says they are still on track to bring the cars back within the stated timeline (I read into that, that the Equalizers are still being made and an adjustment for the defective pins will be implemented as the new bars are fitted) that last statement is my own personal interpretation and shouldn't be taken as actual fact
 #1401198  by Gilbert B Norman

Oh well, at least this fellow, with to say the least, a "diversified" career but with one common denominator - politics, been in Philly, safe assumption his "CV" would have included a stint at SEPTA:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forrest_Claypool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1401258  by AlexC

Let's bring the discussion back to TECHNICAL topics. -alex
 #1403565  by glennk419

Without kicking the beehive here, has anyone heard how the modified / redesigned equalizer bar shoe pins are working out? Has the clearance issue been fully resolved?
 #1404431  by bth8446

I'm glad I saw this topic before posting. Glad I saw that info about the current 'fix' being temporary, and hope its accurate.
Because what I saw, I didn't like. I was riding car 822 home on Saturday night, when I noticed 2 things wrong (its the same issue,
just verifiable two different ways).
1) It just caught my eye. but it was noticeable. Looking and engineers cabin, the back wall of the engineers cabin seem like there was a noticeable
gap between the ceiling and the wall. at the outer edge where the engineers cabin meets the outside wall, it meets, but as the wall progresses
inwards towards the center, there is a gap. so things shifted around there. In addition:
2) this was me riding in the back of the train, so the engineer was not present. but the conductor was stowing goods there.
He swung the door, and started walking away. The door bounced back. Nothing unusual. perhaps he didn't push it hard enough to overcome
the latch. so he tried again. nope, didn't work. he had to apply pressure at the bottom of the door with his toe/foot to get it flush to close
When all this was going on, I noted that the top of the door met with the door jamb before the bottom. so when the top of the door was totally
inside the door enclosure area, the bottom still stuck out, until pressure was applied to force it in.

My conclusion, was that the body was warped, top to the left (from the rear facing position). nothing visually noticeable except those two items
I mentioned.

And I admit, I could be totally off, perhaps this one car was like this, always. Perhaps what I describe has nothing to do with the repairs and
proper alignment. I didn't have my laser accurate devices to determine what is 'level' and to see if all was congruent.

but, visually, and thru actions witnessed, at least this one car, seemed ever so slightly off.

And with a car expected to last many many years, just that little bit of 'off'ness associated with stresses in the body to maintain this 'off'ness,
I would think issues would arise in the future for this car, and others, if same issue exists elsewhere.

But if all is temporary, and the 'real' fix will be coming along, all is moot. but I'd hope someone WILL be there making sure that all that was square
and even before, remain square and even after the permanent fix is in place