Railroad Forums 

• West Trenton Rush-Hour Express

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1340685  by Head-end View

I'm going to be in the Trevose area for a few days next week and will be doing some train watching and riding. Can anyone tell me if they still run a locomotive hauled/7-car express to West Trenton in the evening rush-hour? And if so, which of the several express trains on the timetable is the loco-equipped one. Thanks!
 #1340693  by zebrasepta

If I remember correctly, it gets out of Center City as train #6378 because I waited at temple station watching that train zoom past Temple while waiting for a train to go to Lansdale (about 3-4 years ago before the schedules were changed) (And wow the schedules really changed a lot in just a few years as 6576 would leave AFTER 6378 but now 6576 leaves BEFORE 6378)
 #1341838  by Head-end View

You were right Zebrasepta. It is train #6378. Six cars with the cab-car leading outbound, unlike a few years ago when the loco used to face outbound. The similar express #4382 about 25 minutes later is 4 MU cars. Didn't get to check out the half-hour earlier express #6374. Maybe next trip.
 #1341859  by zebrasepta

Head-end View wrote:You were right Zebrasepta. It is train #6378. Six cars with the cab-car leading outbound, unlike a few years ago when the loco used to face outbound. The similar express #4382 about 25 minutes later is 4 MU cars. Didn't get to check out the half-hour earlier express #6374. Maybe next trip.
I don't think it was ever lead by a locomotive heading towards West Trenton, all i remember is the cab car leading it
It faces outbound heading towards PRR though not RDG
 #1341969  by Head-end View

Thanks Scotty; you saved me the trouble. Zebra, you could be right. I thought I remembered the loco leading to W. Trenton, but I could be mistaken......... The loco's do face inbound on the trains parked at Fern Rock during the day.
 #1342099  by glennk419

zebrasepta wrote:
Head-end View wrote:You were right Zebrasepta. It is train #6378. Six cars with the cab-car leading outbound, unlike a few years ago when the loco used to face outbound. The similar express #4382 about 25 minutes later is 4 MU cars. Didn't get to check out the half-hour earlier express #6374. Maybe next trip.
I don't think it was ever lead by a locomotive heading towards West Trenton, all i remember is the cab car leading it
It faces outbound heading towards PRR though not RDG
The last West Trenton trains I ever remember with the loco leading toward WT were the Railworks trains back in the 90's which were powered by leased NJT U34CH's.
 #1360226  by Head-end View

I was in the Bucks/Phila. area again this past week, so I positioned myself at Woodbourne Station to see # 6378 arrive, but to my surprise it was a 6-car EMU train, not the loco-push/pull. This was on Thurs. Dec. 3rd. Is that train no longer a push/pull or do they sometimes substitute an EMU train in its place?
 #1360367  by rslitman

6378 had Silverliner 4's today instead of the usual push pulls.
 #1362341  by SEPTA2461

As of the past two weeks, both 6374 an 6378 have been using Silverliner Vs. This probably has to do with the Rotem overhaul project, or possibly a dead engine or two.
 #1368434  by rslitman

Morning express 6325 had push pulls this morning (Wednesday, January 27), the first time I'd seen a push pull set on this line in a while. By the way, there are two push pull cars in the Woodbourne freight yard. I wonder if they are Comets waiting to go to a scrapper.