Railroad Forums 

• Historical Discussion

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#916375  by aquadan005

Hmmmmm.... Don't know why I can't remember the inbound side station building, but I definately remember the outbound side.
 #918912  by RedbirdR33

There is a book titled "The Road From Upper Darby." It was printed in 1967 and has since been reprinted and is available at the SEPTA on-line store for about $12.00. It is an excellent history of the Market Street Subway-Elevated and goes into some detail about the Schuylkill River Bridge and the subsequent relocation of the line into a tunnel. There are many excellent back and white photos of the entire line including several of the long forgotten Delaware Avenue line and of the four track bridge at 30 Street. The book also includes a roster and a track map. (as of 1967). I hope this helps.

Larry, RedbirdR33
 #932052  by rbreslow

Does anyone know about the turntable at Chw station? Oh and there is a building beside the Austin tower line building that's small and shows the prr keystone, any intel?
 #932294  by Franklin Gowen

rbreslow wrote:Does anyone know about the turntable at Chw station?
Yes, I know there was once one there.
rbreslow wrote:Oh and there is a building beside the Austin tower line building
You're going to have to re-phrase that so we can understand you. Thanks.
rbreslow wrote:that's small and shows the prr keystone, any intel?
Help us to help you. :)
 #932371  by rbreslow

Um, I'll have to take a picture on my commute tomorrow. It's right beside the "Austin Tower Line Maintenance" building in the parking lot where the turntable was of CHW Station. It's a shed that has a PRR keystone on both sides of it. Facing the tracks it's a wall but on the side you can go in (nothing is in it) Very weird. Like I said picture on the way tomorrow!
 #936770  by metroliner800

rbreslow wrote:Um, I'll have to take a picture on my commute tomorrow. It's right beside the "Austin Tower Line Maintenance" building in the parking lot where the turntable was of CHW Station. It's a shed that has a PRR keystone on both sides of it. Facing the tracks it's a wall but on the side you can go in (nothing is in it) Very weird. Like I said picture on the way tomorrow!
Ok, it's been 2 weeks where's the pictures?
 #936795  by rbreslow

metroliner800 wrote:
rbreslow wrote:Um, I'll have to take a picture on my commute tomorrow. It's right beside the "Austin Tower Line Maintenance" building in the parking lot where the turntable was of CHW Station. It's a shed that has a PRR keystone on both sides of it. Facing the tracks it's a wall but on the side you can go in (nothing is in it) Very weird. Like I said picture on the way tomorrow!
Ok, it's been 2 weeks where's the pictures?
Oh right! The pictures....ya.... Um, well I have them and you can see them after I charge my phone.
 #980845  by aquadan005

So I came across this video of the BSS and it got me to reminiscing about the days when I rode downtown on the subway with my mom, late 60's early 70's. We would catch the bus at Cheltemham and Mountain Ave. to Fern Rock station and board the train to center city. I can recall with great detail the sounds the train made, the smells and the sight of the tunnel lights zipping by the open windows (yes remember the open windows?). Anyhow, I remember the red exterior colored cars with the puke green interiors, I also remember other paint schemes (vaguely) and was wondering if anyone could match the paint scheme with the years they were placed in service? Whatever anyone can remember or confirm will really be appreciated. Photos would be a bonus to the nth degree!
 #981051  by TWTRTECH

aquadan005 wrote:So I came across this video of the BSS and it got me to reminiscing about the days when I rode downtown on the subway with my mom, late 60's early 70's. We would catch the bus at Cheltemham and Mountain Ave. to Fern Rock station and board the train to center city. I can recall with great detail the sounds the train made, the smells and the sight of the tunnel lights zipping by the open windows (yes remember the open windows?). Anyhow, I remember the red exterior colored cars with the puke green interiors, I also remember other paint schemes (vaguely) and was wondering if anyone could match the paint scheme with the years they were placed in service? Whatever anyone can remember or confirm will really be appreciated. Photos would be a bonus to the nth degree!
My Memory is pretty much what yours was. Though there was one time when my mother and father and I were getting off at Lindley Ave exit, I was to slow and the doors closed on me, I was around 10 years old. My father started banging on the door and the door opened up again and I ran off. Now not sure if there are any photos of the subway in color, I did find these..ImageImage and an inside shot.Image and as brand new cars..ca.1927.Image
 #981055  by glennk419

Color photos do seem to be pretty rare although I did find this one: http://www.jerryapp.com/arcv2/ja-t094.jpg

My memory is also pretty much limited to the red cars although I also remember a couple Bridge Line cars that sat in Fern Rock yard for a while which had a more rounded carbody and were painted blue and silver. I also remember some orange cars but they may have been for MOW use.
 #981058  by TWTRTECH

glennk419 wrote:Color photos do seem to be pretty rare although I did find this one: http://www.jerryapp.com/arcv2/ja-t094.jpgImage

My memory is also pretty much limited to the red cars although I also remember a couple Bridge Line cars that sat in Fern Rock yard for a while which had a more rounded carbody and were painted blue and silver. I also remember some orange cars but they may have been for MOW use.
Yes the Bridge cars, that would be theseImageImageand insideImage
 #981136  by aquadan005

Love the replies. So I'm sure you remember the the sounds right? That "WHIRRRR"of the motors, and the deafening sound through the open windows.............
 #981160  by JeffK

The Bridge Line cars always stood out because they shouted "Art Deco" from all directions. A few of them were repainted (or maybe just given a thorough exterior cleaning ?) and put in revenue service to supplement the dwindling fleet before the first K-cars were delivered. I was in grad school at Temple during that period; the presence of a Bridge Line car in a consist was one of the few bright spots in my commute.
 #981181  by Patrick Boylan

I agree completely that the Bridge cars were the nicest of the Broad St, and perhaps all of Philly's subway-elevated fleet. I'm too young to have remembered the original Market St cars, or the 1920's Frankford cars. For some reason the Bridge cars always seemed to ride much more smoothly than the older north and south cars. Are those the correct terms for the other types of Broad St heritage equipment?