Railroad Forums 

• "Lost" stations on R3 West Trenton?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#89146  by R3 Rider

The other day, I took the trolley and got off at 15th Street so I could catch my train at Suburban, and noticed a SEPTA system map that dates back to the mid-1970s, most likely, as it had the old SEPTA logo in the red circle, and it still identified the Regional Rail lines as seperately belonging to Penn Central and Reading.

The map showed two stations on the R3 that I've never seen any remnants of while riding the train, nor any photos over at The Blue Comet. One is Parkland, which was apparently between Neshaminy Falls and Langhorne, and the other is Fairless Junction, between Langhorne and Woodbourne. Both stations were gone by 1984, the date on the old system map you used to be able to find at numerous stations.

Anybody have any information about those two stations, including photos?
 #89181  by aem7

The Fairless Jct. stop was under the Maple Ave overpass in front of the EPRR office and Parkland was a stop about 1 mile south of Langhorne. The remnants of of pedestrian overhead walkway can be still seen from the train.

#89183  by SPUI

Fairless Junction was named for the branch to Fairless steel works that split at that location and ran right next to the PRR Trenton Cutoff.
 #89187  by glennk419

aem7 wrote:The Fairless Jct. stop was under the Maple Ave overpass in front of the EPRR office and Parkland was a stop about 1 mile south of Langhorne. The remnants of of pedestrian overhead walkway can be still seen from the train.
At the time Fairless Junction station existed, Maple Avenue was still a grade crossing. I remember about 4 tracks at the crossing, including the southern entrance to Woodbourne yard. Once the station was closed, the building was moved to Newtown where it remains today.

I have a softcover book called "Rails along the Schuylkill" which has a couple pictures of Parkland station from the 1930's. The pictures show steam but it was after electrification and the ROW was four tracks wide at that time.

Apparently there were a couple other stations along that section of the branch. One was called Janney and was located between Parkland and Neshaminy Falls. The other was Roelofs, between Woodbourne and Yardley. A few years ago, there were still a few remnants of the platform and possibly a foundation at Roelofs right next to the Stony Hill Road crossing. Not sure if anything's left today.
Last edited by glennk419 on Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #89230  by R3 Rider

glennk419 wrote:The pictures show steam but it was after electrification and the ROW was four tracks wide at that time.
When did they tear up the fourth track? I've often wondered about this, because the ROW from Neshaminy onward seems awfully wide for just three tracks.

#89260  by aem7

I heard the Reading took out the fourth track sometime in the late 50's when they also took up the 2 outside main tracks between Wood Interlocking and Yardley. It was done shortly after the B&O stopped running passenger service to Jersey City.

#89486  by R3 Rider

So the track being used by NS to run freight, is that single-tracked all the way into Philly, or does it become double-tracked at some point? I'd think that would be a logistical nightmare trying to coordinate those trains going in and out on a single track.

#89537  by glennk419

The single track freight line is actually used by CSX. It is mostly single track between Woodbourne yard and Cheltenham Junction except for a long passing siding at Byberry, which runs from just south of Neshaminy Falls station to just north of Byberry Road. CSX/Septa are also in process of dedicating single track to each of their respective operations between Cheltenham and Newtown Junction. Outbound R8 Fox Chase trains have historically run on the "freight" track as far as Lawndale where they crossed over to the single track to Fox Chase. Once this occurs, there will be no physical connection between the two railroads between NX and Bourne. Traffic levels will occasionally call for a meet at the Berry passing track, other trains are held in Woodbourne yard as needed.

#90357  by RDGAndrew

Glenn, are meets at Bourne recent? I used to go down Street Road all the time, and it seemed like every time I crossed over CSX, there was something waiting in the hole.

#90425  by glennk419

My son lived near Woodbourne until recently and I frequently saw eastbounds waiting in the yard for westbounds to pass. On some weekends, the procession of trains seemed endless, sometimes three to four trains in an hour in both directions, plus the Septa activity.
 #90642  by aem7

Actually, CSX tries to avoid using Woodbourne Yard as a passing point for their trains. They usually use Berry siding or hold one north of Trent in the double track area.

One day last week, during the mid-day, there was a broken frog at the CP Woodbourne switch (along the main track side) and every CSX train had to use Woodbourne Yard (#4 track I beleive) until it was fixed. Took about 4 hours to repair.

#91319  by R3 Rider

aem7 wrote:...Parkland was a stop about 1 mile south of Langhorne. The remnants of of pedestrian overhead walkway can be still seen from the train.
I think I saw it* today. It's on the inbound side, and it looks like a billboard was built next to what little is left of the walkway.

How did people get to this station? If there was any parking to be had, I'm assuming they parked on the outbound side, because it looks like there's just a narrow one-lane access road running along the inbound side.

*I was referring to Parkland station. Sorry for any confusion. :(
glennk419 wrote:The single track freight line is actually used by CSX.
My bad. I meant to say CSX.
Last edited by R3 Rider on Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

#91349  by glennk419

R3 Rider wrote:
aem7 wrote: How did people get to this station? If there was any parking to be had, I'm assuming they parked on the outbound side, because it looks like there's just a narrow one-lane access road running along the inbound side.
At the time Fairless Junction was open, Maple Avenue was a grade crossing. The station building and parking lot were on the inbound side and accessed directly from the road. I don't have the exact date that the overpass was constructed but it was sometime in the mid to late sixties and done in conjunction with the building of the Route 1 bypass and I-95.

#91575  by R3 Rider

Oh, crap... I just realized I quoted the wrong part of aem7's post; I was actually referring to the Parkland station. Will fix above.

#91801  by aem7

Parkand station did not have a parking lot. It was a "walk to" station only. To my best recollection, it was always a flag stop. Very few passengers, if any used it. All they had out there to spot the stop was a small 10 foot platform.