Railroad Forums 

• Regional rail to Pottstown

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1523117  by rcthompson04

mcgrath618 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:16 pm
Backshophoss wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:16 pm No wire =no service
SEPTA will NOT buy any Diesel or dual mode power.
NS may not play along anyway
What was under RDG is now lost.
I wouldn't be so sure; I've heard quite the opposite.
Yea from what is in the public domain, it sounds like SEPTA is not really going to pay for it. If the Democrats win the County Commissioner race in Chester County, I suspect the County will come to the plate and pay for part of the extension.
 #1523124  by mcgrath618

rcthompson04 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:20 am
mcgrath618 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:16 pm
Backshophoss wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:16 pm No wire =no service
SEPTA will NOT buy any Diesel or dual mode power.
NS may not play along anyway
What was under RDG is now lost.
I wouldn't be so sure; I've heard quite the opposite.
Yea from what is in the public domain, it sounds like SEPTA is not really going to pay for it. If the Democrats win the County Commissioner race in Chester County, I suspect the County will come to the plate and pay for part of the extension.
I’ve heard that the most SEPTA is willing to pay for us crews. Phoenixville and the county will pay for the lease of Dual Modes.

I’m not sure how they’re getting NS to play ball. Does SEPTA retain trackage rights from the 70s or will they have to lease?
 #1523146  by ExCon90

I may be getting dates mixed up here, but I think the last passenger service was operated by Conrail under contract to SEPTA (therefore prior to 1983), so the issue of trackage rights did not arise; by the time the line was conveyed to NS the passenger service was long gone.
In any case, I believe that for any sort of viable service to be operated, major track and signal improvements will be necessary to avoid conflicts with NS trains--and Black Rock (?) Tunnel will still be a choke point. Someone will have to pay for that, and it won't be NS.
 #1523148  by mcgrath618

ExCon90 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:25 pm I may be getting dates mixed up here, but I think the last passenger service was operated by Conrail under contract to SEPTA (therefore prior to 1983), so the issue of trackage rights did not arise; by the time the line was conveyed to NS the passenger service was long gone.
In any case, I believe that for any sort of viable service to be operated, major track and signal improvements will be necessary to avoid conflicts with NS trains--and Black Rock (?) Tunnel will still be a choke point. Someone will have to pay for that, and it won't be NS.
SEPTA Trains won’t go through Black Rock tunnel. They’ll join the line at Abrams.
 #1523151  by glennk419

mcgrath618 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:47 pm
ExCon90 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:25 pm I may be getting dates mixed up here, but I think the last passenger service was operated by Conrail under contract to SEPTA (therefore prior to 1983), so the issue of trackage rights did not arise; by the time the line was conveyed to NS the passenger service was long gone.
SEPTA Trains won’t go through Black Rock tunnel. They’ll join the line at Abrams.
They'll use the tunnel if they go to Pottstown or Reading though. yes?
 #1523162  by Backshophoss

SEPTA uses ACSES,NS uses I-ETMS for PTC,this mixed bag is already done by NJT on the Raritan Valley/CASO near the Aldene Ramp.
NS will balk on the ACSES install SEPTA Needs.
SEPTA STAYS far away for diesel service,WILL NOT consider expansion with diesel,they dumped Diesel service ages ago!
 #1523192  by mcgrath618

glennk419 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:12 pm
Forgive me, I was confusing it with Flat Rock Tunnel.
 #1523232  by nova08

But aren't we just talking Phoenixville right now? The line is 2 tracks (and the 3rd Abrams lead track) with some space for additional track up to Phoenixville. The tunnel comes into play if they get Phoenixville to work and want to extend further.
 #1523233  by pumpers

Perhaps it was posted earlier in the thread, but what is the actual track mileage from Norristown to Pottstown (or from Bridgeport using the old Reading mileposts), and are there estimates for the actual proposed travel time? It already is at least 45 minutes Norristown to 30th St for a Septa expresss.
It would be interesting to look up the old Reading timetables...
 #1523239  by nova08

pumpers wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:17 am Perhaps it was posted earlier in the thread, but what is the actual track mileage from Norristown to Pottstown (or from Bridgeport using the old Reading mileposts), and are there estimates for the actual proposed travel time? It already is at least 45 minutes Norristown to 30th St for a Septa expresss.
From the NS connection to Septa (CP Norris) to Phoenixville just short of Blackrock tunnel (CP Phoenix) it is 10 track miles.

From CP Norris to Stowe Yard in Pottstown is ~23 track miles.
 #1523285  by rcthompson04

nova08 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:13 am
But aren't we just talking Phoenixville right now? The line is 2 tracks (and the 3rd Abrams lead track) with some space for additional track up to Phoenixville. The tunnel comes into play if they get Phoenixville to work and want to extend further.
Yes we have seen two types of responses from Norfolk Southern depending how far we are going... Phoenixville is not too hostile. Royersford is a hard no. The Black Rock Tunnel would seem to be a big reason for the difference in opinion.
 #1523842  by ExCon90

pumpers wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:17 am Perhaps it was posted earlier in the thread, but what is the actual track mileage from Norristown to Pottstown (or from Bridgeport using the old Reading mileposts), and are there estimates for the actual proposed travel time? It already is at least 45 minutes Norristown to 30th St for a Septa expresss.
The November 1968 Official Guide shows two morning trains taking 69 and 64 minutes from Pottstown to Reading Terminal and 48 and 44 minutes from Phoenixville, both originating at Reading Outer and the second offering Reclining Seat Coaches at no additional charge. Two evening trains took 67 and 66 minutes from Reading Terminal to Pottstown and 45 and 46 minutes to Phoenixville; the first one, out at 5.05 pm, was the King Coal (already an ironic name by 1968) for Pottsville, also with reclining seat coaches; the second one was destined to Reading. I don't know whether RDCs were used on that service in 1968, but at least the two trains with reclining seats would have been locomotive-hauled.
 #1523851  by glennk419

ExCon90 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:34 pm
The November 1968 Official Guide shows two morning trains taking 69 and 64 minutes from Pottstown to Reading Terminal and 48 and 44 minutes from Phoenixville, both originating at Reading Outer and the second offering Reclining Seat Coaches at no additional charge. Two evening trains took 67 and 66 minutes from Reading Terminal to Pottstown and 45 and 46 minutes to Phoenixville; the first one, out at 5.05 pm, was the King Coal (already an ironic name by 1968) for Pottsville, also with reclining seat coaches; the second one was destined to Reading. I don't know whether RDCs were used on that service in 1968, but at least the two trains with reclining seats would have been locomotive-hauled.
The reclining seat trains were five cars long and operated pull / push with FP-7's on each end. The cars had conduits along the roof lines so that the locomotives could be MU'd. I fondly remember those trains laying over at Reading Terminal, always on Track 1.
 #1523985  by RDGAndrew

Haven’t been here in awhile. Extending to Phoenixville would definitely be good and could open the door to dual-mode extensions elsewhere. I looked at Phoenixville on Google Maps and it appears NS has moved the double-to-single track interlockings back a few hundred feet at both approaches to the Black Rock Tunnel. Any ideas why?