Railroad Forums 

• CFA-16-4 (and all of the other 1600 hp iterations)

• Discussion of Fairbanks-Morse locomotive products. Official web site can be found here: www.fairbanksmorse.com.
Discussion of Fairbanks-Morse locomotive products. Official web site can be found here: www.fairbanksmorse.com.

Moderator: pablo

#1022386  by andersonwill

I'm in the midst of upgrading my FM C-Liner drawings (http://www.trainweb.org/willstrainart/FM_line.htm) and have hit a snag, of sorts.
The CLC units (CN & CP), both freight and passenger variants, show three roof fans, two on the fireman's side, one on the engineer's. They also show a blanked radiator area beneath the missing fan (at least in most of the earlier photos). Do the 1600hp units out of Beloit follow the same pattern on the roof? From what photos I find on line. the NYC, MILW and PRR locos show grills beneath where the fan might be missing, but I can find no clear photos of the roof of these units to show if there are three or four fans. It is clear that the 2000 hp and 2400 hp C-Liners have all four.
Then with the MILW photos, it seems that there are three fans at center-line of the back, rather than the side-by-side configuration. I've read no indication of any repowering by MILW or EMD to rearrange this.
This may seem anal retentive, but there are enough people that will critique my drawings that I want to get it right, but I can't seem find the photographic proof. Photos or links to photos would be a great help.
Thanks.
 #1079273  by Desertdweller

There was an FM OP engine, I suspect from a C-liner, at the City powerplant at Cashton, WI. I think it is probably still there.

I used to sell Diesel supplies on a parts route, and called at this facility. I recall there being two other FM engines in the powerhouse, both submarine types, but they were older engines, not OP types.

These engines, powering electrical generators, could run continuously for years on natural gas. Oil and filter changes could be performed without shutting the engine down. Who knows how long an engine like this could continuously run?

My first exposure to FM products was operating an FM track scale.

Les