Railroad Forums 

• FM C Liner drawings?

• Discussion of Fairbanks-Morse locomotive products. Official web site can be found here: www.fairbanksmorse.com.
Discussion of Fairbanks-Morse locomotive products. Official web site can be found here: www.fairbanksmorse.com.

Moderator: pablo

#1339793  by RGlueck

I've been around the net and collected a few line drawings of Fairbanks-Morse C-Liners, but I'm wondering if anyone has blueprint style drawings of of the big "cabin cruisers"? I am going to attempt building one in 1.6" scale. The truck configuration will be "B"-"A1A", ala' LIRR and NH
 #1339809  by Allen Hazen

I assume that one of the drawings you have already found is this one
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/nyc-dpa6m.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
a New york Central diagram available at George Elwood's marvellous "Fallen Flags" rail image site.
It's small, not very detailed, but does have a few dimensions marked.
--
The rear, A1A, truck is, I think, of the same design as that used on the Erie-Built units: similar to but perceptibly different from that used on the Alco PA.
 #1339833  by RGlueck

Allen, you just alerted me to that image which I do not yet have! Well, yes, I do now. Thank you!
 #1340438  by ex Budd man

Reading the spec sheet it says GM 567 as the power plant. I am inferring from that the engine was to be repowered and derated. Did this come to pass or just proposed but not implimented? I've seen FMs re-engined with EMDs in the past and it looks like a clean job, not a hack job done by 'shade tree' mechanics!
 #1340455  by mp15ac

ex Budd man wrote:Reading the spec sheet it says GM 567 as the power plant. I am inferring from that the engine was to be repowered and derated. Did this come to pass or just proposed but not implemented? I've seen FMs re-engined with EMDs in the past and it looks like a clean job, not a hack job done by 'shade tree' mechanics!
NYC repowered all of their CFA20-4 and CPA24-5 units with 567's. They also repowered most, but not all of their Erie Built units as well.

Stuart
 #1340540  by RGlueck

Repowering are a great subject, particularly if you are chasing locomotives in the late 1960's and early 1970's. What I find interesting is the use of EMD prime movers in ALCO, FM, and Baldwin car bodies, with all manner of sheet metal fabrication. How many of these rebuilds still exist, if any? As I recall, MKT and Rock Island were famous for their kitbashing.
 #1340602  by ex Budd man

I too find repowered locomotives fascinating, especially home built verses factory installed. Some look like what would be called 'rat rods" by gear heads (car guys) and others look as if they were originally meant to be that way. Reading's Baldwin/EMD switcher repower is a good example of a well thought out design while some Alcos with EMD prime movers and cooling system look as if they were in a great rush to turn it around and get it back to work. The repowered DL-109s with the roof top radiator bulges look as if they were pregnant . The PennCentral RS-3 repowers with retired E-7 V12s fall somewhere in between the two extremes. IIRC the first Diesel Spotters Guide had an FM hood unit repowered with an EMD prime mover and the only difference was the location and shape of the exhaust stacks for the 567.