Railroad Forums 

• Some Former Comet I's have run their last...

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#998487  by njmidland

Who owns those Comets?
The Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society. They have been renumbered back to their EL numbers: 1700, 1705 and 1802. They already carry the new numbers. Next year we hope to put back the original windowband with EL and faux NJDOT logos.
 #998583  by Sid Farkus

njmidland wrote:
Who owns those Comets?
The Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society. They have been renumbered back to their EL numbers: 1700, 1705 and 1802. They already carry the new numbers. Next year we hope to put back the original windowband with EL and faux NJDOT logos.
That sounds great, where are these cars stored?
 #1001782  by blockline4180

vingong wrote:Just came across this:

http://youtu.be/cibJHE1dXRs
Yes, that was 2 years ago! Old news!!

Let's just hope the same doesn't happen to the Comet I's in Raritan!!
 #1020052  by nomis

Per the SJRA group :

7 Comet-1 cars (3 cab, 4 trailers) are sitting on the Winslow Connecting  
Track now, MMC crew brought them down - I have no idea where they're going  
from here.
 #1020058  by ACeInTheHole

nomis wrote:Per the SJRA group :

from here.
A man can dream that they will make up train 854 today (which I will ride) with one of the CNJ Geeps on the back... Oh how I wish. Probably gonna end up with the same crappy 6 CV/PL42 set as all the other times. However I do not mind this if the cab is 6083, that K5LA is outright epic.
 #1020072  by Jtgshu

from here.
Wow, they made it down there relatively quick...they were taken out of Raritan sometime Saturday afternoon/night. They were supposed to go earlier in the day, but they had some trouble getting the brakes working in one or two of the cars, so mechanical people had to come out and do some work on them. I dunno when they actually left raritan.

I have no idea where they are going or who is picking them up, but thats an interesting place to leave them. Only thing I can think of at that location is the SRNJ. I know NJT has picked up/dropped off cars for the SRNJ at that location before.

As far as I know, with the departure of these 7 cars, there will be no more Comet 1s left on NJT property, they are all gone now.
 #1020185  by glennk419

Jtgshu wrote:

from here.
Wow, they made it down there relatively quick...they were taken out of Raritan sometime Saturday afternoon/night. They were supposed to go earlier in the day, but they had some trouble getting the brakes working in one or two of the cars, so mechanical people had to come out and do some work on them. I dunno when they actually left raritan.

I have no idea where they are going or who is picking them up, but thats an interesting place to leave them. Only thing I can think of at that location is the SRNJ. I know NJT has picked up/dropped off cars for the SRNJ at that location before.

As far as I know, with the departure of these 7 cars, there will be no more Comet 1s left on NJT property, they are all gone now.
CMSL? Don't the "LV" F7's have HEP?
 #1020192  by blockline4180

glennk419 wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:

from here.

Well, if they were brought to Winslow Jct. then CMSL seems like the only logical choice, no?? Unless SRNJ wants to get into the passenger business now!! LOL
 #1020198  by ns3010

blockline4180 wrote:
glennk419 wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:

from here.

Well, if they were brought to Winslow Jct. then CMSL seems like the only logical choice, no?? Unless SRNJ wants to get into the passenger business now!! LOL
Probably. SRNJ is always a possibility, but very unlikely, considering that they have listed their Susquehanna RDC for sale.

And just for the record, the sale ad for the seven CI's is still listed on Sterling Rail. Not that that means much, but still...
 #1020204  by Jtgshu

R36 Combine Coach wrote:What about the I-Bs that returned from Montreal? Not all of the I-Bs went west to Caltrans.
I wasn't including the 1Bs as they weren't part of the Comet 1 fleet that was the EL cars built by Pullman. There are no more actual Comet 1s on the property, as far as I know.

Hmmm the CMSL is an interesting thought. They would be able to run them push pull, and not have to use a loco on either end like they seem to do alot.

However, and im just saying this because its a fact, not to start any arguments about the CMSL, but they don't seem to have an equipment shortage for the amount of trains they run (or don't run for that matter). What the SRNJ would do with them is beyond me, although it would be very interesting if they were to start their own excursion trains or something like that....maybe why they bought the RDC in the first place, but it didn't work out? But what would they do with 7 Comets is also beyond me, short of them sitting in Winslow Jct with all the other stuff.....

Maybe they are just being stored down there while they are for sale, maybe they were sold to a scrapper down there, maybe this, maybe that. But its an interesting place for them to be sitting.
 #1020210  by glennk419

The SRNJ has recently scrapped some of the more derelict pieces of their collection, let's just hope it's not turning into Naparano South down there. :(
 #1020213  by NorEasterNick

Jtgshu wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:What about the I-Bs that returned from Montreal? Not all of the I-Bs went west to Caltrans.
I wasn't including the 1Bs as they weren't part of the Comet 1 fleet that was the EL cars built by Pullman. There are no more actual Comet 1s on the property, as far as I know.

Hmmm the CMSL is an interesting thought. They would be able to run them push pull, and not have to use a loco on either end like they seem to do alot.

However, and im just saying this because its a fact, not to start any arguments about the CMSL, but they don't seem to have an equipment shortage for the amount of trains they run (or don't run for that matter). What the SRNJ would do with them is beyond me, although it would be very interesting if they were to start their own excursion trains or something like that....maybe why they bought the RDC in the first place, but it didn't work out? But what would they do with 7 Comets is also beyond me, short of them sitting in Winslow Jct with all the other stuff.....

Maybe they are just being stored down there while they are for sale, maybe they were sold to a scrapper down there, maybe this, maybe that. But its an interesting place for them to be sitting.
JT,

I live a few miles from Winslow Jct....took a trip down this afternoon, very neat seeing them parked on that siding, almost reminiscent of the lines birth...its been years since the ACL saw these cars. Hopefully they won't be scrapped and will be saved either by SRNJ or CMSL (the more logical choice) would be interesting to see these soldier on in some fashion in South Jersey