Railroad Forums 

• MOM Rail Service

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#508802  by danny700

From Friday's Asbury Park Press:
$1.5M asked from U.S. for MOM study
FREEHOLD — Monmouth County officials have applied to the federal government for $1.5 million in funding for the final environmental impact study for the proposed Monmouth-Ocean-Middlesex commuter rail line.

The request went to U.S. Sens. Frank R. Lautenberg and Robert Menendez for funds; the impact statement is needed before the rail project can advance to preliminary engineering and design.

NJ Transit is conducting a draft environmental impact study on the three proposed routes for the MOM line that would start at Lakehurst in Ocean County.

The Monmouth Junction route, backed by freeholders in Monmouth and Ocean counties and opposed by Middlesex County, would run on an existing freight rail line through western Monmouth County and three southern Middlesex towns before joining the joint NJ Transit-Amtrak Northeast Corridor line at South Brunswick.

The other two routes would join the North Jersey Coast Line at Matawan, via a former rail line that is now the Henry Hudson Trail, or at Red Bank, using the Southern Branch freight line.

Monmouth County freeholders reiterated their support for the Monmouth Junction route in a resolution last week. Ocean County freeholders also sent a letter to the governor supporting the Monmouth Junction route.

Gov. Corzine indicated he didn't back the Monmouth Junction route after speaking at a forum in Middlesex County earlier this month to promote his plan to increase tolls and borrow against the revenue to pay down the state's debt and fund transportation projects.

"Completion of this study is necessary before one of three rail options is chosen," Lillian G. Burry, Monmouth County freeholder director, said in a prepared statement. She reiterated that the Monmouth Junction route "will provide the best relief for our congested roadways."

The routes have to be studied.

Corzine administration officials would make their preference for a route known when state and Federal Transit Administration officials meet about the study fundings and federal funding.
http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 8802220328

#508855  by AMoreira81

GSC wrote:Hasn't an EIS been done already? I seem to recall one of the multitude of studies was environmental.

Someone should remind Trenton of something called "eminent domain". If they really wanted to do this, they'd just do it. No one had any problems stealing property away from people to build something else, and NJT already owns or has easements over the ROWs, and the NIMBYs did buy next to rail lines...

If they wanted the old Freehold & Jamesburg ROW for a feeder road to the Turnpike, they'd have it by next week.

Frustrating. They could, and often do, complicate a paper clip.
Now, just as a railfan who wants to see improved service for that area...can NJT or the NJDOT begin eminent domain proceedings BEFORE the EIS is finished...or does NJT have to wait until the end (i.e., if the property is taken and then federal funding isn't approved)?

#508987  by jb9152

AMoreira81 wrote:Now, just as a railfan who wants to see improved service for that area...can NJT or the NJDOT begin eminent domain proceedings BEFORE the EIS is finished...or does NJT have to wait until the end (i.e., if the property is taken and then federal funding isn't approved)?
It would not be prudent to start such proceedings when there is not even consensus on station locations, parking lot sizes, possible right of way realignments, etc.

Eminent domain is a convenient and over-used rail buff argument to "get this thing off the ground" but in practice it's politically damaging, cumbersome, and not an easy thing to do. Much easier to sit at home and type "eminent domain" as if it's the answer to every rail planning issue. It's not.

Better to wait, if they're going to do it at all.
 #509824  by runnerup

If/when MOM ever gets built, what would it be named? How would it appear on the departure boards at Penn Station?

Would it really show up as "MOM" (which reminds me too much of mom jeans)?

What if South Brunswick gets its way, and the line doesn't go through Middlesex County? Would it be "OM" or "MO"?

Would they pick something boring like "Central Jersey Commuter Line" or "Lakehurst Branch"?

I think that because the line would extend into the Pine Barrens that they should call it the "Leeds Devil Line", the "Carranza Flier" or something similarly Piney.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

#509847  by M&Eman

I would expect either the Lakehurst Line (not branch, it is long enough to be its own line) or the Freehold Line (if it hopefully goes through Freehold), or maybe the Southern Line (after its modern name the Southern Secondary and its historical division name in the CNJ as the Southern Division)

#514929  by danny700

From the Asbury Park Press on 3/7:
Lawmakers: Keep all 3 MOM line options open
BY Larry Higgs • STAFF WRITER • March 7, 2008

Two New Jersey congressmen have written to Gov. Corzine asking him to reconsider his decision to eliminate the Monmouth Junction route from the three being considered for the proposed Monmouth-Ocean-Middlesex commuter rail line.

Reps. Jim Saxton and Christopher H. Smith, both R-N.J., asked Corzine on Feb. 27 to include the Monmouth Junction route in the draft environmental impact study.

In the letter, Saxton and Smith warn the governor that not following the federal process and ruling out the Monmouth Junction route before the study is completed could jeopardize federal funding for other major mass transit projects.

"Not following this designated process aimed at determining a preferred environmentally sound alternative could put scarce federal dollars for our state at risk,'' Smith and Saxon wrote.

Among project funding that could be affected, in addition to MOM, are the second Hudson River Tunnel and the Lackawanna Cutoff, the lawmakers wrote.

The Monmouth Junction line would serve western Monmouth and three southern Middlesex towns before joining the Northeast Corridor line in South Brunswick. The proposed Red Bank route would join the North Jersey Coast Line in Red Bank, while the third option would lay tracks along the Henry Hudson Trail and join the North Jersey Coast Line in Matawan.

Corzine took the Monmouth Junction route off the table at a Feb. 10 public meeting in Middlesex County about his proposed plan to dramatically raise tolls on the three toll roads and borrow against the revenue to pay off state debt and fund transportation projects.

State Transportation Commissioner Kris Kolluri said in an earlier interview that the Monmouth Junction route would have to continue to be studied or federal officials would require the draft environmental impact study, which is under way, to be started over. Once the study is presented, a preference for a route would be expressed by state officials, Kolluri said.

“No final decision has been made and NJ Transit is doing the study,'' said Jim Gardner, the governor's spokesman. “It would be premature to comment before the final determination is made.''

Ocean and Monmouth County officials support the Monmouth Junction route, which, studies have shown, would have the most ridership of the three. Middlesex County opposes the route.
It seems to me on the surface that Corzine is the in the back pocket of Middlesex County and giving Ocean and Monmouth the shaft once again.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 0880307006

#514934  by danny700

From Thursday 3/13 Asbury Park Press' LETTER OF THE WEEK: Corzine takes wrong track with MOM rail

The following is from a Fred Koch, Jr. in Malboro who writes and I quote:
I read that Gov. Corzine told Middlesex County residents Route 440 tolls are off the table, and the Monmouth-Ocean-Middlesex rail line plan has become the Monmouth-Ocean line. What? ("Tolls out for 440; Middlesex route nixed for MOM line," Asbury Park Press, Feb. 11.)

Rail service from Lakehurst to Matawan won't help Monroe, with all the development that has created a traffic nightmare.

A train coming through Jamesburg and South Brunswick would ease considerable commuter traffic.

It could create an east-to-west link this state sorely needs.

It is easy to see why Corzine would say this: money.

If you take cars from that area off the road, you lose all those toll revenues.

Once he realizes Routes 9 and 33 are well used too, up will go some more tolls.

Just wait until summer, when the tourists decide to get off the main roads to avoid tolls and cause a local traffic nightmare.

What about the two other routes considered for the MOM line?

The proposal that goes through Freehold to Matawan is riddled with problems, one being no existing rail tracks left and the line traversing Route 520 and Route 79.

There are no places other than Freehold to pick up passengers, because everything along the old Central Railroad has been eliminated or built upon over the years.

It also does not allow for any east-west connection.

The Red Bank line plan also goes in the wrong direction.

I wonder what would have happened if he walked into the high school in Marlboro the week earlier and stated the MOM line is dead and it's only a MO line now?

I can just imagine.
http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 8803130303

You can see from this letter by Mr. Koch, that they (the State/Corzine) is putting Middlesex County's interests ahead of the state's interests and what the people want. Who gets the shaft here? Ocean and Monmouth, that's who and its very sad.

#515193  by E-44

There are many interests involved:
  • Truckers and shippers
    Road building contractors hired by the state and their laborers (union fundraisers and voters and polticians who represent those interests)
    County government that distributes patronage contracts as sidecars to highway and street improvements
    Local interests who are involved in real estate deals whose valuation is affected by these projects ("Minutes to shopping and schools")
An entire foodchain of interests.

Wanna guess who is lowest on this foodchain?

#518523  by Mark Schweber

app.com

March 26, 2008

Town: Slam brakes on rail route

By LARRY HIGGS
COASTAL MONMOUTH BUREAU

The Borough Council officially opposed the Red Bank route of the proposed Monmouth-Ocean-Middlesex rail line because its 30 trains a day would gridlock local streets when added to the current 80 North Jersey Coast Line trains that stop here.

The council voted to oppose that route and support the Monmouth Junction route, which would serve western Monmouth and southern Middlesex County towns.

"Trains cross (borough streets) 80 times a day. The amount of train service they're asking to add will create havoc," Council President Arthur Murphy III said. "We are not in favor of this; it impacts parking and a lot of things."

The Monmouth Junction line would serve western Monmouth and three southern Middlesex towns before joining the Northeast Corridor line in South Brunswick. The proposed Red Bank route would join the North Jersey Coast Line in Red Bank, while the third option would lay tracks along the Henry Hudson Trail and join the North Jersey Coast Line in Matawan.

Gov. Corzine took the Monmouth Junction line out of the picture at a Feb. 10 public meeting on his toll increase plan. State transportation officials said it will continue to be studied or they will have to do a new draft Environmental Impact Statement. Middlesex County officials have opposed the Monmouth Junction route, citing concerns about the effect commuter trains would have on their towns.

State officials also suggested that the Red Bank route might be preferable to serve whatever facilities are built at a redeveloped Fort Monmouth.

Borough officials said adding a second commuter line to Red Bank would affect the quality of life in an already congested municipality. It would send commuter trains over two additional railroad crossings, adding to the four Coast Line grade crossings.

"It will strangle this municipality," Mayor Pasquale "Pat" Menna said. "This municipality will have no movement."

Councilwoman Mary Grace Cangemi, who lives near the North Jersey Coast Line railroad tracks, said that it's the wait at the grade crossings, not train horns or bells, that affect her and her neighbors.

"It's the six to seven minutes it takes to get out of my street," Cangemi said. "There are so many grade crossings — this is not optimal."

Murphy said that he and Borough Administrator Stanley Sickels met with NJ Transit officials about the MOM line and voiced these concerns about the Red Bank route.

"All trains stop in Red Bank. We're a hub. Five NJ Transit buses depart from here," Murphy said. "We do our fair share."

Studies showed that the Monmouth Junction route would attract more riders than the other two. Results of a poll released in late December showed that a majority of residents surveyed in the three counties supported the Monmouth Junction route.

Freeholders in Monmouth and Ocean counties reiterated their support for the Monmouth Junction route after Corzine's February announcement. The Monmouth Junction route also is supported by the New Jersey Association of Railroad Passengers.
http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... /1001/NEWS

#518549  by radioboy

It's weird, they're making almost the exact same argument as the Monmouth Junction people, expect I support Red Bank on this. Probably something to do with the fact I'm in favor of Monmouth Junction, but 110 trains over 6 crossings in already congested Red Bank and turning the station into a hub stop does seem pretty ridiculous, in comparison to a new station in Monmouth Junction.

Also, one thing I wish writers of these articles would do is emphasize that it doesn't involve LAYING tracks on the Henry Hudson Trail, but RElaying tracks. Tracks that good money was already paid to tear up.

#518636  by Jtgshu

I heard a news report last night on 107.1 FM (the Breeze) about how Monmouth County freeholders met with state officals last night and it was basically re-affirmed to them that they are against the Monmouth Jct. route and that Red Bank was the favored option.

I hate to say it, but its looking more and more bleak for MOM every day :(

I don't blame Red Bank either, but the other two grade crossings that would be blocked would be Bergen Place (already as a Xing on the Coast Line) and Sycamore Ave, again, already as a Xing at Route 35, at that disaster of an intersection. And its not like the trains are going to be going real slow at those locations, slowing down for coming onto the Coast Line, but not like they are in the station.

And NJT could do a much better job with the grade crossings in Red Bank as well. There is NO reason why Shrewsbury Ave can't go up while a train is in the station. Same with Monmouth Street/Bridge Ave. Make trains stop short of the Xing and let the gates go up like they do at Middletown/Hazlet and Matawan. Then have the Conductor key down the gates when ready to depart. You can get stuck in traffic for more than 5 minutes at Shrewsbury Ave, even longer if there is a westbound coming as well (there are many meets around Red Bank) so its a double whammy. It really does cause traffic gridlock in town.

Same at Bethany Road - there is no reason why those gates have to stay down while a train is in Hazlet Station going west, or at Beers St. while a train is in the station going east. they have this techonology on other lines, there is no reason why it can't be on the Coast Line as well.
 #518647  by Douglas John Bowen

Not all that long ago, diesel multiple-unit (DMU) service was declared a virtual certainty for Bergen County's Northern Branch, and LRT's potential was similarly assessed as unlikely. While the issue there, like MOM, is yet to be resolved, NJ-ARP would assert that the picture in Bergen County has changed dramatically.

We never dismiss the power of state officials, including governors. But many things remain in motion, and we're not at all convinced true MOM's prospects are cooked. Change is now; things that seem to be solid are not.
 #544542  by JADes718

Well this doesn't help. I guess this will be used against the use of the Freehold Secondary. However, it seems to me that this is just the opion of the acting director of the DEP's Division of Park and Forestry. Does this have as much weight as the Environmental Impact Study? Personaly I think she is off base. I mean the railline existed before the park did. The rail line doesn't prevent the passage of trail users. And really does that many people use that park, to warrant the prevention of the rail line which would benefit so many more!

http://newstranscript.gmnews.com/news/2 ... e/002.html
 #545086  by JADes718

ya, ok it's someone new revisiting an old idea. But the question remains, how much does her "opion" count for?