Railroad Forums 

• Location of South Paterson

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1521424  by TDowling

Where exactly was the South Paterson station on the Main Line and when did it close? Could not find any info on Google.
 #1521494  by JasW

I'm assuming you mean the South Paterson station on the Newark Branch of the Main Line, and not the Lake View station in South Paterson that was on the actual Main Line prior to the merger with the DL&W. It was here, on Main Street opposite and a little north of Hemlock Street. Here's a photo:

South Paterson station.jpg
South Paterson station.jpg (60.02 KiB) Viewed 3073 times

Note that the building on the right in the background is still there on the other side of Main with a redone facade, and houses Bendita Arepa.

Commuter service ended on the Newark Branch in October 1966, though I'm not sure if service to the South Paterson had already ceased before that. The tracks were elevated just a few years before commuter service ended.
 #1521550  by Roadgeek Adam

South Paterson of the Newark Branch lasted till near the Passaic Plan and was near the Getty Avenue yard.

South Paterson built in the Passaic Plan by the EL was on the stretch of overpass between Main and Getty on the Main, closed in the circa 1986 area after being a threat to close for years.
 #1522466  by Roadgeek Adam

Actually bumping this cause I found this by accident (Passaic Daily News, May 23, 1885):

#1522518  by pumpers

Well, 101 years was a pretty good run.

EDIT: I just found another picture of the Erie South Paterson station on line at
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... rc&uact=8
SOUTH PATERSON STATION.jpg
SOUTH PATERSON STATION.jpg (32.82 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
The view is 180-degrees around from the picture posted above (note the tower in the back left of the station in the earlier pic).

Note also there are ~3 tracks on the near side of the station in this picture, and there was at least 1 on the other side in the earlier picture. Looking at the 1915 Sanborn map https://maps.princeton.edu/catalog/princeton-pv63g2421, the 3 tracks on the near side are Erie , and the one on the other side (in the previous picture) is the DLW Paterson Branch (a freight spur going a few more blocks into Paterson), which was not served by the station. (Note no platform on the side of the station in the earlier picture.)