Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1498005  by train2

In the future I have an upcoming trip that will have me driving through the NJT area. The one group of F40s I have never bothered with is the group operating on NJT's. I understand these are Metro North units working west and north of Hoboken. Is that still the current situation? How many total units are in service on a given day? Are these units captive to the Port Jervis line or do they in fact run other lines with any consistently?

Are these rush hour only, weekday only operated units? Or do they run on the weekends as well?

I see on the map between Seacacus and Glen Rock there are two routes, which will the Port Jervis trains operate?
 #1498096  by Backshophoss

MN's units and cars are pooled with the NJT fleet,while supposed to confined to the Mainline/Bergen county line services,
But windup all over the Hoboken Division,and have wandered on the Newark division side when used on MMC based equipment moves to Morrisville(NEC)
and to Bayhead(North Jersey Coast Line)
 #1498136  by Graeme Salt

In February last year, I saw seven out of the eight MNCRR F40s in service over two days. I was back in late October and they were notably fewer, with at least four NJT GP40s in use on Port Jervis trains - so I wondered if most of the F40s were shopped for PTC installation at that time.
 #1498313  by train2

I am afraid I don't know which lines comprise which divisions, can you share that info?
 #1498337  by Graeme Salt

Presumably Hoboken division = Main/Bergen lines to Suffern and onwards into MNCRR territory to Port Jervis, and Pascack Valley line to Spring Valley; Newark Division = everything else except the Atlantic City line. However whereas the former are non-electrified and in theory any train could get a Metro North loco, on the Newark lines realistically it's only anything originating in Hoboken and going beyond Dover on either the Morristown or Montclair-Boonton lines that's in with a chance (and perhaps as stated above, the Bay Head shuttle, but this must be very rare.) All trains from NY Penn to NJT non-electrified territory are worked by ALP45-DP dual modes.
 #1498338  by MACTRAXX

T2 - I will second GS and add this historical information:

Hoboken Division: Morris and Essex Lines, Main Line/Bergen County Lines, Montclair/Boonton Line
and Pascack Valley Line. These were once the commuter lines of the Erie-Lackawanna Railroad.

Newark Division: Northeast Corridor Line, North Jersey Coast Line and Raritan Valley Line.
The predecessor railroads were PRR/PC (NEC and NJCL to South Amboy); CNJ (Raritan Valley Line)
and the NY&LB (a "paper" railroad owned by both PRR/PC and CNJ - the NJCL from South Amboy
to Bay Head Junction); Atlantic City Line: PRSL (owned by both PRR/PC and RDG).

The Metro-North West of Hudson equipment is sometimes used as part of the Hoboken Division
equipment and it is was not unusual to see them used on NJT trains. In more recent years the
MN equipment is usually kept on trains operating to NYS points: The Port Jervis Line - Suffern
to Port Jervis and to Pearl River, Nanuet and Spring Valley on the Pascack Valley Line.

The Main/Bergen County Line schedule does show which route the trains in question will operate
by - provided that the train in question makes intermediate stops over one or the other route.

In closing Hoboken is likely the best place to find the Metro North WOH F40s...MACTRAXX
 #1498360  by train2

Going to the Hoboken station did cross my mind. I have been there once before and walked the platforms. It that still possible today, any tickets need for the platforms.
'
'Here is a nore interesting question: Is there any location just outside of Hoboken you can see all the trains before they spit to their various routes? Any stations in that zone?
 #1498367  by Graeme Salt

Not being a local I can't answer the second part of this except to say there are no stations inbetween Hoboken and the junction at which the Newark and Secaucus lines diverge, which is only a couple of miles from the terminal.

As to Hoboken itself, there is uncontrolled access to all the platforms - I spent several hours there at various times last year and never had any issues wandering round or taking photos. In fact out of the major US stations I visited (New York Penn and GCT, Chicago Union and OTC, and Boston South,) Hoboken was the only one where I felt comfortable walking up to the platform ends to photograph the engines. Elsewhere - and this may just be my paranoia, but I do know people this has happened to - I felt I was risking being pulled in for questioning.

My pictures from Hoboken and elsewhere are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127988932 ... 2086036652" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1498372  by CNJGeep

train2 wrote:Going to the Hoboken station did cross my mind. I have been there once before and walked the platforms. It that still possible today, any tickets need for the platforms.
'
'Here is a nore interesting question: Is there any location just outside of Hoboken you can see all the trains before they spit to their various routes? Any stations in that zone?
No, the former Lackawanna Lines split off from the former Erie Lines at WEST END Interlocking, which is not publicly accessible.

My advice would be to camp out prior to the PM Rush Hour at the Lower Level of Secaucus, one is bound to turn up sooner rather than later.

As an FYI, NJT is currently running certain trains with a cab car on both ends, so the engine is buried. Otherwose, it will usually be on the west end, facing away from Hoboken.
 #1498454  by train2

Anyone have a photo to post of what the lower level of Secaucus looks like?
 #1498544  by amtrakowitz

CNJGeep wrote:No, the former Lackawanna Lines split off from the former Erie Lines at WEST END Interlocking, which is not publicly accessible.
Since they all run parallel now on the former Lackawanna ROW through Secaucus, and a significant length of the former Erie ROW east of the Turnpike is now part of Exit 15X, the "split off" is now further west on the line, although West End is where the track selection for respective routes occurs.
 #1498552  by WhartonAndNorthern

The M&E and the ex-Boonton line do not run through Secaucus, they split at West End. The only M&E trains (and Montclair-Boonton trains) that see Secaucus are the Midtown Directs after they switch to the NEC.
 #1498675  by train2

Thanks for the video. While that station view is nice, the look to the east with those horrid high voltage powers lines is pretty bad. Probably won't go there after looking at this.
 #1498746  by kilroy

The power lines aren't good but you have the signal bridge and if you have a telephoto lens you can get a decent shot.