Railroad Forums 

• CSX on morristown line

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1473725  by blockline4180

By chance I caught GP40-2 CSX 6228 heading west at Mount Tabor today 5/22... I looked elsewhere and some have said it was for PTC testing to Denville... Could someone please explain to me why they borrowed a CSX engine for this when they could have used their own or a NS one?? Never seen a CSX engine on this line before so it just strikes me as odd.
 #1473777  by Ken W2KB

sullivan1985 wrote:Probably testing power assigned to Conrail's Shared Assets pool that will operate over portions of NJT's Newark division to ensure the system is working properly.
I've also read that NJT has an equipment shortage due to installation of PTC requiring units in the shop so may not have had anything surplus to use.
 #1473786  by sullivan1985

Ken W2KB wrote:
sullivan1985 wrote:Probably testing power assigned to Conrail's Shared Assets pool that will operate over portions of NJT's Newark division to ensure the system is working properly.
I've also read that NJT has an equipment shortage due to installation of PTC requiring units in the shop so may not have had anything surplus to use.
This CSX unit was strictly on a test run to test PTC hardware on the engine. Nothing more.
 #1473822  by blockline4180

CentralValleyRail wrote:Too bad no one caught a photo or video of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvwNVPclrKo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;