Railroad Forums 

• Hoboken Terminal Capacity

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1470782  by CLamb

What is the Hoboken terminal capacity? How much of its maximum capacity is currently being used?
 #1470918  by sullivan1985

17 depot tracks are used for passenger. 19 exist.

During peak periods the 17 depot tracks are never empty for very long especially nif equipment is being manipulated as a result of earlier delays of service distrustions. If Midtown trains from Dover and Great Notch get thrown into the mix it can get pretty messy very quickly.

The yard has room for about 5 extra trainsets during mid day layovers but only two spots capable of handling anything bigger than 6 cars. This is why the Port Jervis 7-cars sets run all day with middle trips. Hoboken Yardmasters have gotten creative and stored big trains on main tracks as a last resort when yard space runs tight.
 #1470936  by trainbrain

The issue with >6 car trains explains why there are the three Multilevel sets when they could've just as easily put them on the NEC and kept the Main/Bergen Line all single level. They used to run a few 7 car sets in Main/Bergen service (not Port Jervis), and that stopped when the began running Multilevels there.
 #1470946  by sullivan1985

trainbrain wrote:The issue with >6 car trains explains why there are the three Multilevel sets when they could've just as easily put them on the NEC and kept the Main/Bergen Line all single level. They used to run a few 7 car sets in Main/Bergen service (not Port Jervis), and that stopped when the began running Multilevels there.
The Hoboken Division is home to four 7-cars sets.

One out of Suffern, one from Spring Valley and two from Port Jervis. Occasionally the Raritan set that runs to Hoboken on #2406 is a 7-car ML set, too.
 #1470952  by SecaucusJunction

Way back in the day, they typically ran 8-9 car sets on commuter trains...
 #1470963  by andrewjw

SecaucusJunction wrote:Way back in the day, they typically ran 8-9 car sets on commuter trains...
Now, those cars are all going to Penn. If they had more coaches, perhaps they would run longer Hoboken trains.
 #1470967  by oknazevad

The difference, of course, is that the trains that used to be 9 single level cars are now 7 multilevels, which is actually an increase in seats without having to extend the platforms, which is kinda the whole point of multilevls in the first place.
 #1470975  by EuroStar

None of the lines served out of Hoboken now has need for 8-9 car sets. Most stations on the Bergen/Main/PJ/Pascack lines do not have platforms long enough even for 7 cars. The Metro-North 7 car sets will not get replaced with multilevels until Metro-North buys some which is not going to be any time soon given that the Comets they got have a lot of years left in them. And just for the record, the Hoboken lines do not have 7 car multilevel sets in regular service at this time.

Hoboken will get 6 new platform tracks eventually once the Long Slip Canal is filled. Those new tracks will not have easy access to the existing yards though. There are probably a few places where the existing yards could be reconfigured to gain a car length or two on certain tracks, but that would cost money that NJT does not have right now.
 #1470980  by trainbrain

I have never seen a 7 car set on the Main/Bergen Line on anything but the Port Jervis trains. It works well there because most of the Metro North stations can platform those trains. Middletown, Campbell Hall, Salisbury Mills, Harriman, Suffern, Route 17, Secaucus, and Hoboken can fit all or most of a 7 car train on the platform.

They will have to order multilevels if they build the second yard, or they may just put some more Comet V's in MN colors.

There are three Multilevel sets on the Main/Bergen Line which are all 6 cars. In the evening rush they are on 1167, 1169, and 1173. In the morning I know one is on 1154, I think one is on 1152, but I don't know where the third one is.

There is increased peak demand with all the offices that are located in Hoboken and Jersey City, and having those 6 extra tracks will help quite a bit. Also if there's ever an emergency that requires diverting New York bound trains to Hoboken it would help. I also think it would be a good idea to have more service via the Waterfront Connection which would give Hoboken/Jersey City residents easier access to Amtrak and the airport.
 #1471017  by SecaucusJunction

1169 used to be 7 single levels until the change to ML. For a time last Spring/Summer, the train was running with 7 ML. There is still a 7 car NJT single level set out of Suffern.

The 8 or 9 car sets used to be prevalent in the 1980's/early 1990's. I believe many platforms along the Main Line have been shortened from what they once were. If you look at the Ramsey station, the platform used to extend across the street (you can still see where it used to be)
 #1471049  by sullivan1985

trainbrain wrote:There are three Multilevel sets on the Main/Bergen Line which are all 6 cars. In the evening rush they are on 1167, 1169, and 1173. In the morning I know one is on 1154, I think one is on 1152, but I don't know where the third one is.
There are five ML sets in rotation on the Main and Bergen. Three start in Hoboken, one from Suffern and one from Raritan. The Raritan set only does one round trip on the Erie Lines but the other four cycle all day.
 #1471282  by Defiant

Going back to Hoboken Terminal Capacity, wasn't there a Sandy recovery project to fill in the remaining section of the canal next to the terminal and build six high level platforms? This would've significantly increased the terminal capacity.

Anyone had an idea of what happened to that project? I thought it had funding from the Sandy funds... Is it still in process of being approved by the Byzantine levels of various US government entities?
 #1471307  by trainbrain

It was mentioned earlier in the thread. I don't know what became of it. Looking at Google Earth the new tracks would not be where the canal was. They'd be where a few storage tracks are now between track 17 and the light rail platforms. They'd be expanding the yard to where the canal used to be (which the light rail is on the other side of). I'm also not sure if they've reactivated Track 5 where the Fall 2016 crash was.
 #1471332  by sullivan1985

The project is still live just quiet at the moment. It will eventually fill in the long slip and result in a heavy reconfiguration of the south side of the yard and sections of the light rail.
trainbrain wrote:I'm also not sure if they've reactivated Track 5 where the Fall 2016 crash was.
5 Depot remains out of service. The bumping block and the signal have yet to be replaced for whatever reason.
 #1474742  by TDowling

SecaucusJunction wrote:1169 used to be 7 single levels until the change to ML. For a time last Spring/Summer, the train was running with 7 ML. There is still a 7 car NJT single level set out of Suffern.

The 8 or 9 car sets used to be prevalent in the 1980's/early 1990's. I believe many platforms along the Main Line have been shortened from what they once were. If you look at the Ramsey station, the platform used to extend across the street (you can still see where it used to be)
One YouTube video shows an 8 car comet set on the erie main in harriman back in 1983. The issue i was told was that the seating configuration on the trains was different. 2x2 as opposed to 3x2