Railroad Forums 

• Locomotives on both ends

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1467368  by TDowling

Not sure if this belongs here, but this morning metro north ran train 71 with a comet ii, 2 comet vs, and locomotives on both ends (NJT Geep on east and MNR F40 on west). There is a slight but noticeable difference in the ride, especially when accelerating out of stations. What were the circumstances that led the rr to operate like this and are there advantages as far as speed?
 #1467369  by GirlOnTheTrain

Might be better off asking that on the NJT forum. Last I knew they had a cab car shortage because of PTC installation on cars at MMC or something.

Edit: and thus I have moved it.
 #1467433  by Backshophoss

NJT is installing ACSES gear on their Cab Cars and are having software problems after the install,2nd unit is subbing for the cab car for now.
Unfortunately all of MN's WOH fleet is tangled in this mess now
 #1467472  by ryanov

I was on this same train the other night on the Morris and Essex Lines. I think the locomotives are 4103 and 4910. Thing sure could love out of a station.
 #1473175  by TDowling

From what I understand, this practice is advantageous. It shaves off a few minutes from the schedule; plus, if one of them breaks down the other one can compensate. How feasible would keeping this setup be for the railroad, barring the possibility of a short supply of reliable locomotives?
 #1488506  by Graeme Salt

Apologies for repeating a question I posted a couple of weeks ago on a different thread, but this might be a better place to ask. Is the ongoing cab car PTC equipment installation programme continuing to require the use of a second locomotive on some train sets, or has the (hopefully temporary) closure of the Atlantic City line coupled with service reductions on other lines improved equipment availability to the point where this is no longer necessary? And if there are stil top'n'tailed trains, are any non-revenue locos still being used as "powered cab cars?"
 #1488536  by CNJGeep

Yes, there are still some trains running with locomotives on both ends. Recent non-revenue sightings include 4119, 4120, 4200, and 4103
 #1488557  by DutchRailnut

TDowling wrote:From what I understand, this practice is advantageous. It shaves off a few minutes from the schedule; plus, if one of them breaks down the other one can compensate. How feasible would keeping this setup be for the railroad, barring the possibility of a short supply of reliable locomotives?
It depends on if Commuters are willing to pay the several thousands of Murican Peso's for running two locomotives.
 #1488613  by NJRAILNUT

CNJGeep wrote:Yes, there are still some trains running with locomotives on both ends. Recent non-revenue sightings include 4119, 4120, 4200, and 4103
This morning, while sitting on route 80 next to the Mt. Arlington train station, I observed a trainset pull in that had F40 4120 leading, with an exceptionally grimy GP-40 trailing (I believe it may have been 4201 or 4203, but I could only make out the 42-- as it the engine itself was too dirty).

Sure was nice to see an F40 leading a train again. I have seen pictures of 4119 out and about, but this was my first time seeing 4120. Horn sounded great!
 #1488847  by Graeme Salt

Yes, there are still some trains running with locomotives on both ends. Recent non-revenue sightings include 4119, 4120, 4200, and 4103
Thanks for the reply. Be nice if the F40s stay in passenger service for a while.
 #1489308  by GSC

On the NJCL, you'll see an occasional locomotive on the tail, probably an equipment move. A few nights ago I saw a six-car train pulled by an ALP45 with another ALP and a GP40 on the tail end. Interesting when you see an ALP46 tagging along below Long Branch, an all-electric loco in non-electric territory. Probably going to or from storage in Bay Head.
 #1489368  by sullivan1985

GSC wrote:On the NJCL, you'll see an occasional locomotive on the tail, probably an equipment move. A few nights ago I saw a six-car train pulled by an ALP45 with another ALP and a GP40 on the tail end. Interesting when you see an ALP46 tagging along below Long Branch, an all-electric loco in non-electric territory. Probably going to or from storage in Bay Head.
If the same crew has work in both Long Branch and Bay Head it's easier to just take the ALP along for the ride instead of making additional moves to keep the ALP under wire.
 #1489399  by JamesRR

GSC wrote:On the NJCL, you'll see an occasional locomotive on the tail, probably an equipment move. A few nights ago I saw a six-car train pulled by an ALP45 with another ALP and a GP40 on the tail end. Interesting when you see an ALP46 tagging along below Long Branch, an all-electric loco in non-electric territory. Probably going to or from storage in Bay Head.
This morning at Hamilton on the NEC, the 7:29 local had an ALP45DP on the front and an ALP46 on the back. No cab cars on the train. I presumed more PTC adjustments. The rear ALP had its pantograph up.
 #1489861  by Graeme Salt

I made another 3500 mile GP40 pilgrimage to New Jersey this last Monday, and although very pleased to find no fewer than ten geeps from the revenue fleet in passenger service (4100, 4201/02/03/06/07/09/11/16/19,) I did not see a single top'n'tailed set running. A contact had noted both 4112 and 4120 in action on the RVL the previous Thursday, so I made a trip to Broad Street just in case, but both turns I saw were Bombardiers with cab cars. So I guess if this is still happening, it's now very infrequent. Shame.
 #1490128  by CNJGeep

Graeme Salt wrote:A contact had noted both 4112 and 4120 in action on the RVL the previous Thursday, so I made a trip to Broad Street just in case, but both turns I saw were Bombardiers with cab cars. So I guess if this is still happening, it's now very infrequent. Shame.
The RVL doesn't go to Broad Street.

For the most part, the engines on the east end has ceased now that more cab cars have come back from PTC installation. It is usually on a day-to-day basis if it happens at all now.