Railroad Forums 

• NJCL Matawan spur

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1404150  by oknazevad

It's the stub remnant of the old Jersey Central Highlands Branch.
 #1404227  by ThirdRail7

It is electrified because in the early 80's, NJT extended electrification from South Amboy to Matawan. That section of the former Highlands branch was named (if memory serves) Church Yard. At the very outside, it was a left handed interlocking named Church. Electric trains turned at that location. Additionally, two train sets were kept there overnight. Once the electrification was extended to Long Branch in the late 80's, Church was no longer used.
 #1404313  by GSC

Have to find that old railroad map I had that shows just how intricate a junction this used to be. The Freehold Branch had a wye and a small yard within it, there was a track from the Freehold Branch side that crossed the NY&LB at grade to the Highlands Branch, connections from the westbound NY&LB to the Highlands Branch, along with a yard on north side of today's station platform, and quite a few industry spurs. MR Tower was sure a busy place at one time.
 #1404506  by ChrisU

It is now called the Natco Industrial Track which is a hold over from Conrail who operated freight service to IFF in Union Beach until October 1983. Every once in a while you'll see some MOW equipment stored there and I believe a couple winters ago NJ Transit stored a few trainsets there when there was a coastal flooding threat for Bay Head.
 #1406108  by Zuccaraillo

The fact it's electrified gives me feels that some Matawan locals are turned around there. I may be wrong.
 #1406299  by ChrisU

Zuccaraillo wrote:The fact it's electrified gives me feels that some Matawan locals are turned around there. I may be wrong.
There's only one Matawan local left (Train 3441) which I'm pretty sure deadheads back New York and turns right at the station.