Railroad Forums 

• ALP-45-DP Usage/Service Patterns

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1160601  by Jeff Smith

This thread is for the discussion of the ALP-45-DP and it's usage and service patterns. Please restrict your discussion to that topic.

Off-topic posts, flame wars, and thread hijacks will be deleted without warning.

Please use the report function for such posts; do NOT feed the trolls.

Warnings will be issued for all such posts.

For prior discussion of delivery, design, etc. please see this topic: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 69&t=77543
 #1160612  by morris&essex4ever

If NJT got all of their ALP 45's, why is it showing that their fleet has 23 of them instead of 35?
 #1160625  by rvlch

morris&essex4ever wrote:If NJT got all of their ALP 45's, why is it showing that their fleet has 23 of them instead of 35?
I believe that was answered here:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/0 ... rt_m-rpt-1

previously posted here:

Re: Hurricane Sandy
by Adirondack » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:16 pm

the operative quote at the end of the article:

"...a dozen of the locomotives on the property did not officially belong to NJ Transit yet, so manufacturer Bombardier is on the hook for the insurance claims, officials said."
 #1160931  by CNJGeep

MM-8 brought an ALP down the Coast Line last night. I do not know if it stayed or if it went right back
 #1161786  by ChrisU

CNJGeep wrote:MM-8 brought an ALP down the Coast Line last night. I do not know if it stayed or if it went right back
4518 was on Y10 today in LB.
 #1162144  by srock1028

NJTArrow2 wrote:
CNJGeep wrote:MM-8 brought an ALP down the Coast Line last night. I do not know if it stayed or if it went right back
4518 was on Y10 today in LB.
It is there for training.
 #1162385  by bbobes327

do they have these operating on any of NJT's main lines yet?

I thought these were originally intended for the NJCL from Bay Head to NY Penn and the Raritan Valley Line from High Bridge to NY Penn Station?
 #1162402  by CNJGeep

bbobes327 wrote:do they have these operating on any of NJT's main lines yet?

I thought these were originally intended for the NJCL from Bay Head to NY Penn and the Raritan Valley Line from High Bridge to NY Penn Station?
They've run on most of the lines in revenue service, and have run test trains on each line. Don't expect to see one-seat rides to NY anytime in the near future, acc't capacity issues in the tunnel.
 #1162417  by bbobes327

CNJGeep wrote:
bbobes327 wrote:do they have these operating on any of NJT's main lines yet?

They've run on most of the lines in revenue service, and have run test trains on each line. Don't expect to see one-seat rides to NY anytime in the near future, acc't capacity issues in the tunnel.

That's a bummer, im getting sick of the PL42s on the RVL! hahah

They haven't run on the NEC though right?

Would be good idea to use those to take a few trains a day from Trenton - Hoboken. Possible new service idea here??? Or is that just not in the cards?
 #1162491  by Jtgshu

NJT used to run trains from Trenton into Hoboken, and the number series still exists...they are 2800 series trains. (5800 series is Trenton to Newark). They run them as extras sometimes when Amtrak is doing major catenary work and they shut down the power. Last time I remember a major outage like that with major train changes was when the Alexander Road bridge was replaced in Princeton Jct.

IIRC, the second to last named train on NJT (with the Pony Express being the last) was the "Diesel Express" which ran from Trenton to Hoboken. Right after 9/11/01, it was converted to an electric set and ran into New York Penn, to help deal with the major ridership changes and shifts after the PATH was knocked OOS to lower Manhattan for so long.
 #1162870  by 25Hz

bbobes327 wrote:They haven't run on the NEC though right?
Between the waterfront connection and NYP they were in revenue service due to M&E (midtown direct trains affected) catenary being shut off over the one weekend beginning of this month.

JT - could they put those diesel expresses back?
 #1162895  by ThirdRail7

25Hz wrote:
bbobes327 wrote:They haven't run on the NEC though right?
Between the waterfront connection and NYP they were in revenue service due to M&E (midtown direct trains affected) catenary being shut off over the one weekend beginning of this month.

JT - could they put those diesel expresses back?
The Midtown Directs don't use the Waterfront Connection. They use the Kearny Connection.
CNJGeep wrote:Isn't the waterfront connection wired up now?
Yes.