Railroad Forums 

• ALP-45-DP Usage/Service Patterns

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1308046  by srock1028

ACeInTheHole wrote:4300 came through here towing a set with 4514 on it dead. My train is packed. What happened?
mechanical problems
 #1310735  by Port Jervis

I rode these last week and noticed it used an ALP45DP and ran in electric mode all the way to Dover. Is this normal? If it is, is why not run it into NYP? People who want NYP and use 854 have a 22 minute wait at Newark Broad for the next Midtown Direct.
 #1310749  by Ken S.

It's not always an ALP45-DP. There are days when a GP40 or PL42 is assigned to the equipment rotation.
 #1310751  by Port Jervis

Ken S. wrote:It's not always an ALP45-DP. There are days when a GP40 or PL42 is assigned to the equipment rotation.
OK, wasn't sure about it. So it's SOP to operate the dual modes in electric wherever there's wire, no matter where they are going?
 #1310769  by Ken W2KB

Port Jervis wrote:
Ken S. wrote:It's not always an ALP45-DP. There are days when a GP40 or PL42 is assigned to the equipment rotation.
OK, wasn't sure about it. So it's SOP to operate the dual modes in electric wherever there's wire, no matter where they are going?
Yes, Apparantly so. Electric is less expensive than diesel fuel. Even the Raritan Valley Line trains use electric while in the layover yard east of Newark Penn and change over on Newark Penn Track 5 back to diesel.
 #1310785  by ACeInTheHole

Mod note- merged train 851/854 topic into ALP45 thread as the main topic had to do with 45s.

Port Jervis- next time you have an ALP45 related question, please use this thread, it keeps things more organized with information regarding dual modes, and cuts down on the number of threads myself and my fellow moderators have to read. Thank you.
 #1310799  by F40

Ken W2KB wrote:
Port Jervis wrote:
Yes, Apparantly so. Electric is less expensive than diesel fuel. Even the Raritan Valley Line trains use electric while in the layover yard east of Newark Penn and change over on Newark Penn Track 5 back to diesel.
In addition, a diesel is not even close to being as efficient as an electric motor.
 #1340138  by ACeInTheHole

Knowing NJT, with the next batch of bi levels will come a matching batch of new dual modes. Id agree with you on reactivating the F40s, but they would need upgrades to keep schedule with Multilevel sets, where NJT intends to go, which would cost a pretty penny anyway. This is the typical pattern with NJT from bombardier, always two batches of stuff, spread out. I give it, hmm, the 45s showed up in 2012, two, maybe three years tops.
 #1340147  by ApproachMedium

ALP45s are an absolute waste of money and I think even NJT sees that now with the fuel consumption at idle and the fact they will probably never see service in excess of 90mph. The F40s could run with all the single level cars that will end up being banished to the hoboken side freeing up the waste of money dual modes for the newark side. There are plenty of trains going in and out in hoboken with 3-5 car single level sets that you could be pulling dual modes and PL42s off of and replacing with at least 8 of the F40s.
 #1340157  by CNJGeep

ApproachMedium wrote:ALP45s are an absolute waste of money and I think even NJT sees that now with the fuel consumption at idle and the fact they will probably never see service in excess of 90mph. The F40s could run with all the single level cars that will end up being banished to the hoboken side freeing up the waste of money dual modes for the newark side. There are plenty of trains going in and out in hoboken with 3-5 car single level sets that you could be pulling dual modes and PL42s off of and replacing with at least 8 of the F40s.
Uhh aren't they good for 100 now?
 #1340161  by ACeInTheHole

Mod Note- nothing major, but, Approach anc CNJ i brought that discussion from the P40 thread here so as to not derail it.

Yes CNJ. And as for the F40s, I do believe NJT plans on taking out all the single level cars, even from the Hoboken side, so, while yes, I agree that an F40 would be more useful on a four car CV set than a ALP45, it would be short term only. Their focus seems to be helping the ALP46s, then afterward, who knows. Im personally a fan of the 45s, fuel consumption aside, theyre good jack of all trades locomotives, and they get around. Theyre not as present as they once were on the Hoboken side. Do remember what even brought them along was the project that got cancelled, they were designed, developed, paid for and eveb some built when the cancellation came down for ARC. You cant leave 95% baked muffins in the oven like its no big deal. Theyve asserted themselves well in their gap filler role.
 #1340174  by nick11a

Yes, the ALP45s are almost everywhere.

And, to give NJT some credit, the ALP45s were the right thing to purchase at the time. Remember, they were expecting more tunnel capacity to New York and these locomotives were bought with that in mind. Then, of course, Christie cancelled that essentially cancelling the need for them, but like it or not, they came.

NJT has done some smart things with them at least. They used them to help out Hoboken after it had no catenary power post-Sandy. They're providing some RVL and Bay Head direct NYC service. Besides that, there isn't a whole lot more they can do with them with the current infrastructure with the exceptions of:

1) Using them for direct WORM (West of Regal Montclair) MidTOWN Direct service (not enough demand yet for this, forget that)
2) Using them for west of Dover MidTOWN Direct service (not enough demand yet for this, forget that as well)

The Main/Bergen/Pascack Lines can't use them for direct NYC service, so that's kind of it.
 #1340182  by R36 Combine Coach

nick11a wrote:Using them for west of Dover MidTOWN Direct service (not enough demand yet for this, forget that as well).
With the ALP45s, it's already possible, so why not extend a few current peak Dover trains to Mt. Olive or Hopatcong as a trial?