Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#508364  by sullivan1985

nick11a wrote:Yup.... At least Purrfect that engineers on the Hoboken side get more variety now (theoretically) with the PL42ACs more spread out.
Very true. At almost any given time you could show up in Hoboken and see maybe an ALP, a few MU's and anywhere between 8 to 12 PL's. Gets boring after a while.
 #508402  by purr-fect transportation

Oh, the Ergonomics Committee did a fantastic job! I don't fault those guys at all! You should have seen those meetings- the Transit/ Chairdude representative would take these careful, detailed notes, repeat everything back to us, email us, have his secretary type them and U.S. Mail them to us, and then at the next meeting nothing had changed! And we'd repeat the process all over again. After a year I resigned. I applaud my Union Sisters and Brothers who toughed it out. "Mans GOT to know his limitations"
 #508440  by nick11a

purr-fect transportation wrote:Oh, the Ergonomics Committee did a fantastic job! I don't fault those guys at all! You should have seen those meetings- the Transit/ Chairdude representative would take these careful, detailed notes, repeat everything back to us, email us, have his secretary type them and U.S. Mail them to us, and then at the next meeting nothing had changed! And we'd repeat the process all over again. After a year I resigned. I applaud my Union Sisters and Brothers who toughed it out. "Mans GOT to know his limitations"
Yup, and they take pride in what they were able to accomplish. It could have been a whole lot worse....

#511816  by AMoreira81

Train 652 was spotted with 4026 pushing it on the Morristown Line. Here is photo proof, at Dover.

By contrast, about a month ago, this same train was being pushed by locomotive 4120.

#514968  by transit383

My first attempt at black & white photography, I didn't care much for the following shot at first. But its since grown on me. It is of train 5711 coming into High Bridge Station with a PL42 leading:

NJT 4031 at High Bridge

#514983  by thebigc

transit383 wrote:My first attempt at black & white photography, I didn't care much for the following shot at first. But its since grown on me. It is of train 5711 coming into High Bridge Station with a PL42 leading:

NJT 4031 at High Bridge
Nice shot. Back in the day, I always had my X700 for K64 and my SRT101 loaded with Plus X.

#515159  by Steve F45

not sure what the loco # was, but while I was trying to put air in my tires at the shell station in hasbrouck heights a pvl e/b was approaching. As the cars started to pass I can hear a loud thump, thump, thump, thump and as the pl42 passed by the lead truck had a really bad flat spot on it. was very surprised by it.

#538713  by Matt Johnson

transit383 wrote:My first attempt at black & white photography, I didn't care much for the following shot at first. But its since grown on me. It is of train 5711 coming into High Bridge Station with a PL42 leading:

NJT 4031 at High Bridge
You know, these things have grown on me a bit, but why can't they make a modern diesel locomotive that looks as good as this?

#538714  by firthorfifth06

thats a pretty sweet engine
 #542915  by NJT Rider

The PL42 that was damaged is back on the road. It is currently roaming the Hoboken Division. I have a pic on my phone, I will try to upload later. You can visably see the damage on the car body.

Good to see they did not give up on it.
 #543018  by purr-fect transportation

I like that- "....roaming the Hoboken Division...." like it has the freedom to go where ever it wants to. New engine, different set of problems.
 #551703  by purr-fect transportation

Amtrak has a problem with them going very far on their system and I can't blame them. The first problem was when paired with a Comet 5 they could be pulled but would not respond to the controls of the cab car when swapping ends to be run in the push mode. Then they had a nasty habit of just shutting down and the computer screen locking out...there are no resets like the older locomotives, so unless you can "reboot" the computer its call AAA (your friendly MM job) for a tow. The most recent problem is with a wire fraying on the PL-42 side of a train and sending a false signal to unintentionally open the doors of the train- of course there are no door controls on the Diesel locomotive but the electronics don't know that- so the crew must cut out the zone switch between the PL and the first car. I think you'll eventually see them systemwide (even AC), but it will be after a long period of time and the big shots are convinced that all the bugs are out. It is a shame though that one railroad can spend so much money on buying a new piece of equipment, only to have another railroad restrict its use or refuse to allow it on its property all together- I thought thats what the test track in Pueblo was for. " Senjiya- your goin' home"
 #563763  by Grump

Yesterday 8/4/08, 2309 had a PL42 on the point.... Not sure if this was the first revenue trip on the NJCL...
 #563782  by Jtgshu

Grump wrote:Yesterday 8/4/08, 2309 had a PL42 on the point.... Not sure if this was the first revenue trip on the NJCL...
wonderful............there goes the rush hours