Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1052275  by Clean Cab

Those are for LIRR. MN will get them a few years later.
 #1052422  by DutchRailnut

M-9's(odd number) would be for Harlem and Hudson, not New Haven (even Number)
 #1055383  by Jeff Smith

Apologies for the Collateral Damage cleanup. It was actually funny but non-sensical without the quotes.

I saw something on this somewhere else; I'll track it down and add. I think I've posted the RFP here before.

NH line won't need replacements for EMU's for years unless the win every lottery in every state and decide to electrify everything. The M8 fleet is big enough to replace everything AND run on SLE, freeing that fleet for NHHS.

The thing on the M9's I think is a joint proposal for both LIRR and MNRR railroads and interoperability (which would negate the need for the "a" designation for MNRR cars). What that would involve is way too early to speculate on, although current chief Lhota is making big noise on sharing equipment all across the metro area.
 #1056614  by Clean Cab

M9s are a joint deal for both LIRR and MNR. LIRR will get the majority of the cars due to them having many more M3's than MNR to replace. I don't know how many M3's LIRR has, but MNR has 142.
 #1056674  by Backshophoss

MNR picked ACESII for their PTC,LIRR will always do something different,there will be a M-9(a)
It never fails!
 #1056689  by Clean Cab

Do you mean ACSES (Advance Civil Speed Enforecment System)?
 #1056696  by Backshophoss

I have seen it tagged as ACESII but mean it to Amtrak's version,and LIRR will find their own way to be different.
LIRR has always found a way to change the basic spec's!
 #1056699  by DutchRailnut

MNCR's version is already a cut back version of amtrak's ACSES, to keep it compatible LIRR won't be able to cut it back any more.
and as of M-8's its off the shelf technology that fits M-8, M7 and M7a.
 #1058785  by Fan Railer

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet. Yes it is listed under the LIRR procurement page, but there's also an order for M9As which I wonder about, but then again, I just found it and haven't gotten around to reading the documentation yet.
http://mta.info/lirr/about/Procurement/ ... Status.htm
http://mta.info/lirr/about/Procurement/M9/Documents.htm
This will be posted on the LIRR forum, and should perhaps be (for the majority) discussed there.
 #1058808  by Jeff Smith

I found the RFP 6; that's what led me to question the singles, doubles, powered, non, etc. But the site is a good link, thanks!

Here's the status from the above link:
M-9/M-9A Commuter Railcar ProcurementCurrent Status
Long Island Rail Road, on behalf of itself and MetroNorth Commuter Railroad, will shortly issue two simultaneous Request for Proposals for the design, manufacture, test and delivery of up to 676 M-9 and 160 M-9A commuter railcars. Contract award is expected to be made in the 4th Quarter of 2012 with delivery of the first pilot cars for testing expected in the 2nd quarter of 2016.
 #1058893  by lirr42

Will the manufacturer for the M9A cars for Metro-North be able to avoid the "power problems" that the M7A's have (not being able to run in trains longer than 8 cars)? Or will MNR have to keep it's 12 car sets of M3's until they completely and totally die?
 #1058984  by DutchRailnut

on MNCR its not m-7a cars having power problems, but the railroad, upper harlem from Viginia rd to southeast was basicly constructed for max of 6 cars in 1984 and 6 minute headways.
by raising voltage from 625 to 770 volt they were able to run 8 car M series cars, now the M-7a pushed that demand up to 160% for 8 car train.
unless the sub stations are rebuild you won't see trains of over 8 cars, each train cycles on all schedules on both Hudson and Harlem.
on lower Harlem in Bronx longer trains are being operated including 10 car M-8 trains on regular basis.
 #1083715  by amm in ny

It sounds like you're saying that the new cars (I assume that "M-7a" is the designation for the "new" MUs we're seeing on the Hudson line, I'd always heard "M-7") draw significantly more current than the old ones.

Usually, the new technology is supposed to result in more efficiency, so I'm a bit surprised that the manufacturer(s) wouldn't get some flak over this. What has changed that has increased the amount of power the new trains demand?