Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#597975  by DutchRailnut

Is it smarter , maybe, specially during a economic down turn.
Will it be better ?? we will know in 15 years.
 #695625  by Darien Red Sox

DutchRailnut wrote:
1691 MARK TWAIN (SLE cab)
1693 THE YANKEE CLIPPER (SLE cab)
1695 THE CONNECTICUT RIVER (SLE cab)
Have these cabs been moved to the Metro North Equipment Pool Yet? I have not seen any SLE trains with shoreliner cabs in quite a wile.
 #695656  by Noel Weaver

Let's get back into history, way back, to the late 1930's when the New Haven decided that they needed some new passenger
locomotives for passenger service east of New Haven.
They ordered ten beautiful passenger 4-6-4 type locomotives from Baldwin, numbered 1400-1409 and officially called the
"Shoreliners". Unfortunately they did not last long enough, the railroad got their first passenger diesels from Alco/GE, the
DL-109's a few short years later and the 1400's gave a good account of themselves but their careers were shortened by the
diesels. All were sold for scrap in 1951.
These were the first "SHORELINERS" at least in my book. At least Metro-North has kept the name in use for which I am
happy to see.
Noel Weaver
 #696295  by DutchRailnut

The shoreliners all have a 4 channel radio.
 #1218410  by NH2060

(Forgive me for resurrecting this)
DutchRailnut wrote: 6175 WORKING CLASS HERO
Why didn't they just name it JOHN WINSTON ONO LENNON ? ;-) Or did MNR think the ambiguity of the title would resonate better among the traveling public (especially the lower and lower middle class) and not with Beatles fans LOL?

Also as a side note anyone think we'll ever see a ConnDOT coach (should one still be in service in X amount of years) re-named GOVERNOR M. JODI RELL ? That temporary naming on M-8 9111 has been all but forgotten after all :-P
 #1218607  by shadyjay

Well, isn't/wasn't one named after William O'Neil?

I'd rather have Jodi Rell get a car named for her over Weicker or Rowland any day.