Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#781072  by Fred G

Clean Cab wrote:Why all the fuss about seeing the M8's? It's not like they're only going to be here for a short while and then disapear? We'll be seeing the M8's for the rest of our lives!!!
cuz riding the M2's is teh crappage :P

Seriously if I didn't see any fuss, I'd be taking people's pulses.
 #781406  by StevieC48

ChiefWrex wrote:
Clean Cab wrote:Why all the fuss about seeing the M8's? It's not like they're only going to be here for a short while and then disapear? We'll be seeing the M8's for the rest of our lives!!!
Completely agree with this statement. in a year or two they'll be all over the place and the novelty will where off.

Agree when the new Seimans Blue Line cars for the MBTA once they arrived on the line it was a matter of 6 months before the Hawker Siddley cars were phased out. Now the cars are running full time with 6 cars dialy and they are holding 20 of the old cars in active storage for a contingency fleet.

So enjoy the nostalgia while it is still in abundance. :wink:
 #783272  by JohnJ

Clean Cab. wrote:Scheduled delivery of the two remaining test pairs...........

9106/9107: Arrived in Baltimore 2/4, delayed by snow storm. Delivery in NH 3/5.

9100/9101: Will ship from Japan 2/24 and arrive in Baltimore 4/2 and in NH 4/20.

No further pairs will be shipped until test trains gathers enough data. Possible resumption of shipments, late fall 2010.

Any update on the shipment of two remaining pairs? Scanning through the forum, I don't find any mention of the third set arriving in New Haven. Has it arrived yet?
 #783393  by Silverliner II

JohnJ wrote:
Clean Cab. wrote:Scheduled delivery of the two remaining test pairs...........

9106/9107: Arrived in Baltimore 2/4, delayed by snow storm. Delivery in NH 3/5.

9100/9101: Will ship from Japan 2/24 and arrive in Baltimore 4/2 and in NH 4/20.

No further pairs will be shipped until test trains gathers enough data. Possible resumption of shipments, late fall 2010.

Any update on the shipment of two remaining pairs? Scanning through the forum, I don't find any mention of the third set arriving in New Haven. Has it arrived yet?
The third set was spotted on the tail of a CSX freight heading through West Trenton a few days ago by a poster to the Trentonline yahoo group. It should be in Selkirk by now...
 #784092  by subbuff

The 2 M8s are in cedar hill yard, north haven, as of 10:02am.
 #784174  by railaw

Anyone have a guess as to when/how they will make the final move to NHV? I'd like to catch them going by.
 #784199  by subbuff

CSX takes the cars fron Cedar Hill to Union Station, where they hand it to Metro North, who will probably hook up a BL20 and take it to the M8 yard.
 #784256  by Clean Cab.

Only one pair to go, then the 8 car test train will begin full time testing by the summer. Hopefully they will perform well and not delay the delivery of the other 292 (If CDOT/MTA pick up options).
 #784498  by Jeff Smith

The "first" option of 90 cars (on top of the 210 "base" order) has already been exercised. The options still open are for an additional 80, whether they be bar cars, or SLE, or pool is up to CDOT and MNRR. If they are "bar" or "SLE", CDOT picks up the entire tab.
 #784570  by railaw

9106 and 9107 are making their first stop at state street as i write.
 #784575  by milkyoreo27

railaw wrote:9106 and 9107 are making their first stop at state street as i write.
aww, shoot, I want to be there.. :(
 #785133  by Nasadowsk

Fred G wrote:

Have they gotten that much worse since the late 90's? Ok, granted the M-2/4/6 cars were never amazingly reliable, fast, good riding, or really amazingly anything, but I was under the impression they were more functional than normal as of late.
 #785330  by Clean Cab

The M2's are slightly better, the ones that went through the CSR program that is. But time is definately not on their side. No matter how much "new" technology you introduce them to, you cannot overcome their ancient and complex wiring. There are just too many points of failure between the line voltage and the traction motors.
 #785983  by Fred G

Nasadowsk wrote:
Fred G wrote:

Have they gotten that much worse since the late 90's? Ok, granted the M-2/4/6 cars were never amazingly reliable, fast, good riding, or really amazingly anything, but I was under the impression they were more functional than normal as of late.
I can only speak to some recent sore butt-cheek rides and not on any operational matters other than I got to my destination on time and in one piece.
 #786378  by Fan Railer

Sarge wrote:The "first" option of 90 cars (on top of the 210 "base" order) has already been exercised. The options still open are for an additional 80, whether they be bar cars, or SLE, or pool is up to CDOT and MNRR. If they are "bar" or "SLE", CDOT picks up the entire tab.
didn't they CDOT excercise the first 42 cars of the option? (total 342 cars)