Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1501981  by CP-4070

What was the purpose of the short track 100 south of the LL loop?
Thanks!
 #1502188  by CP-4070

Yes, I know but what was originally the purpose of it? I though of a track to get rid of a motor that pulled a train into track 101. Only a guess, though.
 #1502227  by RearOfSignal

It was part of the lower level loop. I don’t think it actually connects to anything anymore.
 #1502231  by CarterB

"Track 100 is the large loop track on the suburban level, the lower of the two track levels. It has no platform and is located quite a ways east of track 101, the first track with a platform, and close to the Lexington Avenue subway, to which it does not connect. The space under it is the baggage and trucking subway that runs at right angles to the tracks at the line of 45th St. (The word "subway" is used here to mean an underpass and "trucking" to mean handtrucks.) This passage is about 10 feet high and more than 25 feet wide. It is shown in diagrams in many books, such as Middleton's Grand Central (Golden West Books, 1977). The reference to track 100 seems to be just a way of referring to the far east end of this passage. Since there is no longer any baggage or express (package) service at Grand Central, parts of these subways are not used much by staff and can provide places to hide at least for a while."
 #1502249  by checkthedoorlight

There's no track 100 on my map, but on this 1931 track map there is a small stub (maybe 2 cars long) that comes off the south end of track 101. My guess is it was some loading/unloading track for supplies for GCT.
 #1502255  by DutchRailnut

101- 102 and 103 use to go to inner loop on lower level , long out of service as it could only handle cars of 75 feet max .
 #1502452  by JamesRR

I, too, thought that was Track 200 - and when in service it was originally a return track from the outer lower level loop, deep below the station. Not really needed now that the LL loops are out of service.
 #1502473  by CP-4070

Thanks for the answers guys. Yes, that eastern most track is track 200. I had no idea about the baggage subway though. Where did it connect to the concours? Did it connect by elevators or ramps?

The track 100 is indeed a southern extension of track 101. You can see it on this map:
http://www.railfanwindow.com/gallery2/v ... p.png.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CarterB: Is that a text pasage? Where is it from?
Dutch: I sadly can't access the link you posted. What is in there?

Best wishes, Andy
 #1502479  by DutchRailnut

looks like a railfan map , nothing official

link was to maps posted on facebook , unfortunately railroad.net does not allow uploads bigger than 1 Mb so I could not post it here.
 #1502482  by CarterB

CP-4070 wrote:Thanks for the answers guys. Yes, that eastern most track is track 200. I had no idea about the baggage subway though. Where did it connect to the concours? Did it connect by elevators or ramps?

The track 100 is indeed a southern extension of track 101. You can see it on this map:
http://www.railfanwindow.com/gallery2/v ... p.png.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CarterB: Is that a text pasage? Where is it from?
Dutch: I sadly can't access the link you posted. What is in there?

Best wishes, Andy
CP... here's the source I quoted....http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/abando ... eople.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1502483  by DutchRailnut

a mistake in Brennans page for sure.

again the lower loop (outer) is track 200 and is still used as yard track to store two trains every day . the west end is no longer there as LIRR station/ticket hall are there now .
 #1502495  by CP-4070

DutchRailnut wrote:looks like a railfan map , nothing official

link was to maps posted on facebook , unfortunately railroad.net does not allow uploads bigger than 1 Mb so I could not post it here.
Yes, it is a railfan map but it can also be seen on this one:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Cen ... ksPlan.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could you share these maps on any other platform?
Best wishes, Andy
 #1502504  by DutchRailnut

yes you can see a tail track, but that map the track numbers are unreadable.