Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1233780  by LRail

The NYTimes printed a quote from a RR official stating that there was no way to avoid push pull because they couldn't turn an engine at GCT. Isn't there a loop track?
 #1233782  by Steamboat Willie

They loop trains all the time in GCT, although it would be nearly impossible to loop that many trains every day given the amount of traffic GCT handles. You would be limited to arriving/departing on tracks 38-42 and would have to come around up the east side, and reverse down back into tracks 38-42. Not a fesiable option.
 #1233790  by DutchRailnut

It would be impossible to loop all diesel trains, the loop simply does not have enough capacity , now lets drop stupid idea's
 #1233810  by runningwithscalpels

And furthermore...how do you expect the trains to get looped at their end terminals?
 #1234150  by shlustig

FYI, what we used to do was either loop trains inbound off Track 1 to Tks. 40 / 41 /42 or loop outbound from Tks. 38 / 39 / 40 / 41 / 42 to Tk.1.
 #1234216  by RearOfSignal

shlustig wrote:FYI, what we used to do was either loop trains inbound off Track 1 to Tks. 40 / 41 /42 or loop outbound from Tks. 38 / 39 / 40 / 41 / 42 to Tk.1.
Trains with passengers are prohibited from operating around the loop.
 #1234221  by JimBoylan

RearOfSignal wrote:
shlustig wrote:FYI, what we used to do was either loop trains inbound off Track 1 to Tks. 40 / 41 /42 or loop outbound from Tks. 38 / 39 / 40 / 41 / 42 to Tk.1.
Can you please help us find that prohibition, and its age, since there have been emergencies and times of track work when it's happened.
 #1234224  by RearOfSignal

JimBoylan wrote:
RearOfSignal wrote:
Can you please help us find that prohibition, and its age, since there have been emergencies and times of track work when it's happened.
It's somewhere in the ETT: GCT Special Instructions; not sure when it was added. Trains can go through the loop with passengers only with permission from some MNR official VP of Ops or something like that.
 #1234998  by theseaandalifesaver

I don't understand why the push/pull situation keeps getting brought up in every single thread and article I'm reading about this. This is a method that'd been used by railroad for years simply to cut down time and costs of turning a train around to send it back out.
 #1235004  by DutchRailnut

And after all had nothing to do with what transpired.
 #1239432  by Terrapin Station

theseaandalifesaver wrote:I don't understand why the push/pull situation keeps getting brought up in every single thread and article I'm reading about this. This is a method that'd been used by railroad for years simply to cut down time and costs of turning a train around to send it back out.
Isn't it being brought up because the Shoreliner cab cars don't have the alerters that the locomotives do?
 #1239727  by Patrick Boylan

Terrapin Station, I assume you and Dutch are talking about the recent Spuyten Duyvil wreck, which so far nobody has named in this thread. About all I can quibble about Dutch's statement is a bit of hyperbole, the push operation had very little to do with what transpired. Do you doubt that the wreck's immediate cause was engineer's inattention? Other than alerters and other locomotive noises, which might not have helped the engineer pay attention better, what is there about push vs pull that you feel contributed to that wreck?

Again assuming you and Dutch are talking about the Spuyten Duyvil wreck thread I bet many of this thread's dear readers might appreciate if we devote this one to if one can turn at GCT, the answer to which seems to be yes, despite LRail's NYTimes printed RR official's quote that they couldn't turn an engine at GCT.