Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1217054  by NHAirLine

One time I rode SLE down to STM to transfer there to MN (well technically the SLE trainset is an MN train south of NHV, but I'll call it SLE for sake of this discussion since I'm talking about equipment). Never again will I do that. It was awful. The thing was vibrating and bouncing all over the place. The SLE coaches didn't handle the track down there well. However, they also have a weird vibrational thing going on the Shore Line, so maybe it's just a peculiarity of those cars. The M-2/4/6 sets ride much nicer, they are like Cadillacs, big and heavy, so they just sort of float over the tracks. The M-8's were bad at first, but I think they have broken in, as they feel a lot nicer now. I haven't ridden on Amtrak south of NLC, so I can't compare that.
 #1217716  by truck6018

TacSupport1 wrote:Is it technically possible that the M2/M6/M8's run on the Harlem line to provide additional service?
There was plenty of red in both the North White Plains "A" yard and passenger yard this morning. In fact there was so much red there both my engineer and myself were shocked.
 #1221643  by russellsal8

I noticed this morning going through the Bronx that they've started work on track 3 (the NB local track), and that there are bridgeplates at all of the Bronx NB platforms. Judging from the three previous track closures, it seems to take them 4-5 weeks to work on each track. Since this is the last track to be worked on, will we see all four tracks back in service next month? Or is there other work that needs to be done?
 #1221879  by truck6018

russellsal8 wrote: Or is there other work that needs to be done?
Currently they are on the last leg of finishing up the drainage project. Last I heard it was 70% complete.

Although I can't say for sure I would think that once completed they will pick back up on the CP109 project.
 #1224991  by MetroNorthRider098

Amtrak7 wrote:http://mta.info/BronxROW/bronxrow_improvements.html

New schedules in effect 11/17. I wonder how those speed restrictions are going to make the non-Bronx ROW November schedules differ from the pre-July schedules?
I'm wondering the same thing...Will travel times improve at all? Anyone know? Are the ~10 minutes they added to each schedule (plus extra delays) going to be the new norm?
 #1225191  by MetroNorthRider098

truck6018 wrote:
MetroNorthRider098 wrote:Are the ~10 minutes they added to each schedule (plus extra delays) going to be the new norm?
Extra time added on to the schedules are nothing new.
I know that. Basically, I'm just wondering if it's going to get any better (or, heaven forbid, worse). But I guess we'll just have to wait and see. So no one has an estimated completion date for the Bronx right-of-way project? Yes, I know it's 80% done and that "work will continue through the fall." But what does that mean? I'm so sick of Metro North PR fluff.
 #1225228  by RearOfSignal

MetroNorthRider098 wrote:
truck6018 wrote:
MetroNorthRider098 wrote:Are the ~10 minutes they added to each schedule (plus extra delays) going to be the new norm?
Extra time added on to the schedules are nothing new.
I know that. Basically, I'm just wondering if it's going to get any better (or, heaven forbid, worse). But I guess we'll just have to wait and see. So no one has an estimated completion date for the Bronx right-of-way project? Yes, I know it's 80% done and that "work will continue through the fall." But what does that mean? I'm so sick of Metro North PR fluff.
It means they don't know. They're hoping to have track 3 back into service by the time the new schedule goes in effect. But that doesn't mean the project will be completed by then.
 #1225243  by DutchRailnut

Don't forget, the time added is not only for bronx improvement, but also because overall speed on MN is reduced.
not much better time will be a seen in winter timetable.
 #1225387  by TCurtin

Yesterday I rode the New Haven line (GCT-Stamford & back) for the first time in a long while and and found the slow running terrible. I didn't see any obvious (to me) reason for this but I can tell you we never got over 60 mph once, the entire ride. FWIW: 1) Eastbound I was on #1530, with M2/4/6 equipment --- including, incidentally, a working bar car. 2) We ran track 1 all the way from Woodlawn to Stamford, and it didn't feel like we were catcing signals at all. Good God, is it like this all the time?

(Note: my steed estimate was from timing the mileposts)
 #1225395  by Clean Cab

TCurtin wrote:Yesterday I rode the New Haven line (GCT-Stamford & back) for the first time in a long while and and found the slow running terrible. I didn't see any obvious (to me) reason for this but I can tell you we never got over 60 mph once, the entire ride. FWIW: 1) Eastbound I was on #1530, with M2/4/6 equipment --- including, incidentally, a working bar car. 2) We ran track 1 all the way from Woodlawn to Stamford, and it didn't feel like we were catcing signals at all. Good God, is it like this all the time?

(Note: my steed estimate was from timing the mileposts)

Sadly, yes. MN has come full circle from the days of fast moving commuter trains, back to the dark days of the 1970's. Bad track and crummy equipment.