Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1229095  by RearOfSignal

It looks like the majority of the track work in the Bronx is done...

http://new.mta.info/press-release/metro ... -bronx-and
MTA Metro-North Railroad today announced that it will complete a major track improvement project in the Bronx this weekend that will improve reliability with all four tracks in the area back in service for the first time since the intensive upgrade began July 1.
In addition to the return of all four tracks to service in a six-mile stretch from Woodlawn to Melrose, track speed will be increased by 15 miles per hour to 75 mile per hours on three of the four tracks in the area for the first time in five years.

------------

Busing continues weekdays and weekends for Melrose and Tremont stations while right-of-way improvements continue for an additional two miles from Melrose south to the Harlem River Lift Bridge. Additional track work also is underway elsewhere on the Hudson, Harlem and New Haven Lines. This extended work last through the end of the year, with minimal impact to service expected.
It will be nice to see the speed in the Bronx to go back up to 75mph.
 #1229098  by DutchRailnut

other than track 3 the speed has been up on 1-2-4 for a week now,its not noticeable on track 1 due to 40 mph speed restriction from Tremont to BG.
 #1229103  by RearOfSignal

DutchRailnut wrote:other than track 3 the speed has been up on 1-2-4 for a week now,its not noticeable on track 1 due to 40 mph speed restriction from Tremont to BG.
Well I haven't been in passenger service since that time, so my statement remains the same... It will be nice to see the speed in the Bronx to go back up to 75mph. Thank you for your concern though!
 #1229325  by eastwind

DutchRailnut wrote:other than track 3 the speed has been up on 1-2-4 for a week now,its not noticeable on track 1 due to 40 mph speed restriction from Tremont to BG.
Is this a permanent speed restriction? Why would the express track have a lower speed limit than the local track?
 #1229341  by Amtrak7

Steamboat Willie wrote:Track 1 needs some additional repairs and MN wants all 4 tracks back for the holiday season. They also want to wrap up CP109 hence the imposed 40mph restriction on track 1.
So is Melrose/Tremont busing continuing through 1/4?
 #1229347  by lirr42

Amtrak7 wrote:
Steamboat Willie wrote:Track 1 needs some additional repairs and MN wants all 4 tracks back for the holiday season. They also want to wrap up CP109 hence the imposed 40mph restriction on track 1.
So is Melrose/Tremont busing continuing through 1/4?
If they want all tracks back for the holiday season that sounds like it would include train service at Melrose and Treemont.
 #1229571  by truck6018

As of about 8:30 last night, track 3 was back in service from CP106 to CP113 (Melrose to Fleetwood). I think think my train was the second one to operate on it. Concidering the leaves, rain, and the fact that Water World had not scrubed it this season, it was not a fun ride.
 #1230993  by monica012077

Clean Cab wrote:The concrete ties actually work quite well in areas with soft soil and good drainage. The tracks in the Bronx are basically in a big bowl. The granite bedrock is only a few feet below the tracks so any rain water has nowhere to drain off. The wooden ties absorb moisture, obviously concrete ties do not. MN invested in concrete ties knowing that they would still need routine tamping and ballast renewal, and that was done. However, MN thought that the ties themselves would last 50 years as was claimed by the manufacturer. So far they haven't lasted more than a few years in the Bronx. The tracks have gotten so bad that the track speeds that at one time were once as high as 80 MPH are now half that. Now MN is making repairs to the tracks by installing wooden ties in the worst mud spots, but are strangely leaving most of the concrete ties in place. I believe MN is trying to come up with some sort of drainage system as well, but only time will tell if it is successful.
Where do Metro North trains travel at 40 mph in the Bronx? At Riverdale they are going 70 mph, and probably 75 along the Harlem line south of Fordham...
 #1230997  by monica012077

truck6018 wrote:As of about 8:30 last night, track 3 was back in service from CP106 to CP113 (Melrose to Fleetwood). I think think my train was the second one to operate on it. Concidering the leaves, rain, and the fact that Water World had not scrubed it this season, it was not a fun ride.
Rode the Harlem line 4 times yesterday and each ride was smooth and comfortable. It's just one long straight line. 3 of my trains were a few of min late. The last one, the 7:05pm Express at White Plains was 20 min late but got me to Harlem-125 St pretty fast. It was even snowing so I'm sure the rails were slippery. Do you feel the train sliding or something?
 #1231032  by truck6018

monica012077 wrote: Rode the Harlem line 4 times yesterday and each ride was smooth and comfortable. It's just one long straight line. 3 of my trains were a few of min late. The last one, the 7:05pm Express at White Plains was 20 min late but got me to Harlem-125 St pretty fast. It was even snowing so I'm sure the rails were slippery. Do you feel the train sliding or something?
I heard chatter on the radio that the 7:05 train was partially delayed due to sliding past Valhalla. My train was the express after that one scheduled at White Plains at 7:23 where we stop at Hartsdale and Scarsdale and we slid past both those stops. These occurrences were due to the snow squall.

You generally can't feel anything when the train slides unless you know what to look for.
 #1231033  by DutchRailnut

The sliding in Valhalla is not snow, but still leaf residue, the station is in dark spot (shadow) and is slick for weeks.
 #1231906  by monica012077

truck6018 wrote:
monica012077 wrote: Rode the Harlem line 4 times yesterday and each ride was smooth and comfortable. It's just one long straight line. 3 of my trains were a few of min late. The last one, the 7:05pm Express at White Plains was 20 min late but got me to Harlem-125 St pretty fast. It was even snowing so I'm sure the rails were slippery. Do you feel the train sliding or something?
I heard chatter on the radio that the 7:05 train was partially delayed due to sliding past Valhalla. My train was the express after that one scheduled at White Plains at 7:23 where we stop at Hartsdale and Scarsdale and we slid past both those stops. These occurrences were due to the snow squall.

You generally can't feel anything when the train slides unless you know what to look for.
Thanks for the reply! The first time I went to White Plains I was planning on leaving on a 1:05 pm Express that I thought I missed but showed up about 20 min late so I thought it was a common occurrence. The day you mentioned I was expecting to catch the 7:23 pm but I finished up early and was blasted by a snowy wind on my way to the train station. The 7:09 also showed up 5 min late on the outbound track glad I didn't take it since we passed it along the way. Ours only stopped at 125 St so not sure of the sliding. I did just have a wheel with a flat spot underneath my seat on an M7. I swear it felt like a there was a Flintstones wheel on it lol I wouldn't mind seeing a train just slide past a stop!
 #1231912  by Tadman

Try riding an Amtrak LD train across 6-7 states with a flat wheel. It made for a long night around Christmas 2007.