Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1109494  by lirr42

If I may point out one photo from your impressive collection, Mr. L, I call attention to this one of a M4:

Notice how this one has a rollsign? I know some of the older series cars experimented with rollsigns at some point, but it's just interesting to see one that has survived on a train to as recently as 2011 (when the photo was taken).

Just merely and observation--I wonder if they still change it (if it can still change), or if there are other MU's rolling around out there with old rollsigns.

Enjoy!
 #1109523  by lilbluefoxie

There are a few M2s here and there still with rollsigns, I see them more often on the M4s and M6s which are newer and thus had less heavy maintenance. As for the rollsigns, sometimes they are accurate. I know there are M3As with them here and there as well.
 #1109534  by Travelsonic

lilbluefoxie wrote:There are a few M2s here and there still with rollsigns.
M2s? I mean, maybe possible I don't know, but are you sure those weren't just M4 pairs [I know there are more triplets than 8934/8935 that have had their middle D car removed - forgot which ones... I also know an M6 or two has undergone this same thing.]
 #1109559  by lilbluefoxie

Travelsonic wrote:
lilbluefoxie wrote:There are a few M2s here and there still with rollsigns.
M2s? I mean, maybe possible I don't know, but are you sure those weren't just M4 pairs [I know there are more triplets than 8934/8935 that have had their middle D car removed - forgot which ones... I also know an M6 or two has undergone this same thing.]
It might have been just M4s ive seen with the signs. I dont remember offhand.

As for the converting the 4s and 6s to pairs, I noticed that recently. What is up with that?
 #1109682  by Tadman

Hey if a broken watch can be right twice a day, a busted old rollsign is right occasionally, too.

Unless of course, you're talking about the possessed rollsigns out here that go totally haywire some days. You'll be riding along and suddenly you hear that mechanical noise of a rollsign changing, and it cycles through all the destinations for a minute or two, then returns to the route we're on...
 #1109753  by lilbluefoxie

Clean Cab wrote:Very nice series of pictures. What camera do you use?
Canon Eos Rebel XSi with the basic 18-55mm IS lens. For a kit lens it gives very good performance. The exif info for my photos is on the site, showing all my settings and stuff used for those who are curious and to help people learn.