Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1084741  by lilbluefoxie

I think I may have asked this before but I cant find where. Someone said that one of the midday weekday Waterbury branch trains uses Shore Line East equipment instead of the usual shoreliners and bl20gh. Which train is it and is it a regular occurance?
 #1084753  by DutchRailnut

The Waterbury does not use BL20gh they get a P32acdm on their 3 car shuttle.
the midday round trip runs the SLE equipment as the MNCR shuttle goes to New haven for fuel.
 #1084767  by runningwithscalpels

lilbluefoxie wrote:I think I may have asked this before but I cant find where. Someone said that one of the midday weekday Waterbury branch trains uses Shore Line East equipment instead of the usual shoreliners and bl20gh. Which train is it and is it a regular occurance?
I've seen it on 1926/1973 with regularity - usually a P40 and the Mafersa coaches - I've seen a GP40 on #1981 but that's DEFINITELY not a regular occurrence.
 #1084932  by DutchRailnut

they do not use SLE equipment on waterbury branch on weekends
and yes all other trains during week are MNCR equipment.
 #1084959  by M1 9147

Was gonna day that I did a YouTube video over the summer when the BL's had their issues, and the one shuttle from Waterbury to Bridgeport did in fact use 2 BL20GH's "Elephant Style" on the south end with the usual 3 cars (cab on north end). Like Dutch said, it was a rare occurance in that matter at the timeas now P33AC-DM's are the regular stuff now.
 #1085372  by runningwithscalpels

Otto Vondrak wrote:I miss these days: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ottomatic77/2475710085
March: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJHgO94bMAE :)

P.S.: BL20 mini today, we shall see how long THAT lasts.
 #1085615  by Jeff Smith

runningwithscalpels wrote:I've seen it on 1926/1973 with regularity - usually a P40 and the Mafersa coaches - I've seen a GP40 on #1981 but that's DEFINITELY not a regular occurrence.
I'm going to have to ride that next week, then.
 #1110247  by DutchRailnut

Engineers(or mechanics) are not smart enough on waterbury to run BL20gh's.
 #1110400  by DutchRailnut

yup but they keep breaking them ;-)
 #1110415  by Steamboat Willie

It was not long ago that the BL20's were on the Waterbury. One of the reasons why I am guessing you don't see them on it now is because Waterworld is ongoing. 1121/1926/1973/1640, all use the Mafersa/P40/GP40 combo.

Even Brewster is down a spare mini and a protect engine. The BL20's have been failing on the Harlem as well lately..
 #1110492  by DutchRailnut

In Brewster they fail and then they park them under magic healing bridge and it fixes itself.