Railroad Forums 

• New CR Station for New Balance in Brighton

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1354121  by rethcir

jbvb wrote:"Boston Landing" may sound cool to somebody's marketing consultant, but the trend of letting them 'brand' places in defiance of common sense and divorced from any prior context is inefficient and annoying.
SoDoSoPa!
 #1354357  by GP40MC1118

Access to the west end of Beacon Park yard was severed at 7AM Saturday. Phase 1 for
the Boston Landing Station.

All moves from the west looking to access the yard will run down the single track to CP-3.

d
 #1354388  by YamaOfParadise

jbvb wrote:"Boston Landing" may sound cool to somebody's marketing consultant, but the trend of letting them 'brand' places in defiance of common sense and divorced from any prior context is inefficient and annoying.
While I do agree with you that the trend isn't a good thing, on the other hand, they are building the station... for this circumstance, I can let it slide.
 #1357463  by The EGE

Real construction progress on the station:

Main station area west of Everett Street. I believe the platform will be in the cleared area and the new westbound track where the trench is:

East of Everett Street:

Old and new ties sitting by Guest Street:

My images from Wikimedia Commons, Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike license.
 #1357475  by BandA

Looks like plenty of room for at least a third freight bypass or express track. Hope they implement that. I'd say it looks like just east of the CP. What is the dark colored box next to the CP, a storage container?
 #1359458  by dbperry

It is east of the current location of CP-4, closer to the bridge where the pictures above are being taken from.

Click here for larger version

There is this upcoming alert:
Due to Boston Landing Station construction in Allston, service will be suspended between Wellesley Farms and South Station in both directions on Friday, December 4 from approximately 9:00 p.m. through the end of service, through Saturday, December 5, 2015, and through Sunday, December 6, 2015.
Sounds and looks like they're going to cut in and activate the new shoo-fly track.

Interesting that they are operating 'stranded equipment' service from Worcester to Wellesley Farms via trains with bustitution only between Wellesley Farms and South Station.
 #1359542  by harshaw

So, since CP-4 is currently west of the new station, does this mean:

A) only one platform for the station
B) CP-4 is moved east of the station and we continue to have the single track through beacon yard
C) They finish double tracking through beacon yard and we don't have to deal with late trains anymore
 #1359543  by BandA

That diversion is pretty smart; Wellesley Farms is just off Route 16 > 128N 1 exit to 30 > Auburn St-Auburndale > left on 16/Washington St-West Newton-Newtonville > Mass Pike.... oh wait...Yawkey. They should annul Yawkey or provide separate shuttle. Yawkey is a reverse bus move from Back Bay or a slow run over "class 2" roads of the 57 bus (former Watertown "A" line). Local bus running after 9PM/weekends costs <= 15 min vs. train through Newton. Much worse in Boston.

Much cooler would be to bustitute between Allston Depot and Wellsley Farms. The low level platform is still there.

I assume they are skipping the Newton stations due to the single track platforms with lack of switches without CP4, and/or interruption of the signal system.