Railroad Forums 

• Gov't Center Closure 2014 Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1376418  by bellstbarn

I am puzzled by the accessibility issues. Apparently, there are two elevators from fare control (at street level) to the Green Line platform. There are also two elevators from somewhere to the Blue Line. Yet, both platforms appear to be island platforms, so are two of the elevators redundant, something New York could use because of the frequency of elevator repairs? Please correct me if I am wrong.
----
However, I don't understand how a wheelchair person can board a Green Line train. Don't the cars have steep steps?
Many thanks.
 #1376423  by jboutiet

bellstbarn wrote:I am puzzled by the accessibility issues. Apparently, there are two elevators from fare control (at street level) to the Green Line platform. There are also two elevators from somewhere to the Blue Line. Yet, both platforms appear to be island platforms, so are two of the elevators redundant, something New York could use because of the frequency of elevator repairs? Please correct me if I am wrong.
----
However, I don't understand how a wheelchair person can board a Green Line train. Don't the cars have steep steps?
Many thanks.
The low-floor Type 8 cars are accessible from a low platform.
 #1376429  by Arborwayfan

The natural light shows in the pictures. Thanks.

The Brattle Loop is now in ballast next to the platform instead of in the concrete of the platform. I can see that could be safer because now it's clear passengers shouldn't walk across the track the way I used to do to look at the murals and just for fun (but I will miss the old look, because there and at Park St. when the main eastbound track was just filled in with wood level without the low "curb" that's there now it gave a funny kind of outside/street-running feel that was odd underground). So why was the old Brattle Loop track paved that way? Was it left over from a time when passengers needed to walk across it routinely? How old was the concrete of the platform that was demolished for this renovation?
 #1376453  by The EGE

Redundant elevators are mandated in all new and rebuilt stations as part of the 2006 settlement with the Boston Center for Independent Living, with the intention of making it so no station ever has a complete elevator outage. Makes construction and maintenance a tad more expensive, but probably a worthwhile cost.
 #1376535  by Disney Guy

Imagine for a moment that, if on any day the station was not accessible using the elevators, it had to be closed in its entirety.

The Center For Independent Living settlement probably does not mandate that drastic a move but some 30 or so years ago, the opening of an otherwise complete station on the Washington DC subway had to be delayed until the elevators were ready for use.

Back then, federal laws (which governed DC) regarding accessibility were more strict than most states' laws.

I would expect that all three Greem Line tracks will eventually be ballasted more so as to look better.
 #1376582  by Arlington

The new tracks have misting pipes, presumably for all the benefits (quiet, less wheel & rail wear, anti-derail). Why don't the Park Street loops have mist?
 #1376585  by The EGE

Probably because this is the first time they've been used on the T? They've tried various other methods like grease, especially for the Ashmont loop, but this is the first oone that seems to work. Hopefully There is sufficient drainage at Ashmont, Boylston, and Park Street to add them.
 #1376617  by MBTA3247

They've been using misting pipes for years on the loop at Ashmont.

They probably haven't been installed at Park or Boylston because there are no residents living in hearing range of those curves to complain about them. The T has better things to spend money on.
 #1376628  by Arlington

^better things like derailments, wheel wear, and rail wear?
 #1376640  by jamesinclair

Disney Guy wrote:Imagine for a moment that, if on any day the station was not accessible using the elevators, it had to be closed in its entirety.

The Center For Independent Living settlement probably does not mandate that drastic a move but some 30 or so years ago, the opening of an otherwise complete station on the Washington DC subway had to be delayed until the elevators were ready for use.

Back then, federal laws (which governed DC) regarding accessibility were more strict than most states' laws.

I would expect that all three Greem Line tracks will eventually be ballasted more so as to look better.
When an elevator is out in DC< theyre required to provide free shuttle service to the nearest working station.

Having a redundant elevator saves that cost.
 #1376643  by jamesinclair

The EGE wrote:In case anyone hasn't already gotten their fill of pictures, here are mine from today.
Fantastic photos.

The station looks amazing. Except the 1960s platform walls they kept. Seriously?

And not opening the direct Blue Line entrance is a crime and the decision makers should be imprisoned
 #1376649  by Arlington

^As long as Bowoin is still open, a separate BL entrance doesn't uniquely "convenience" all that many users by all that much. When Bowdoin closes as part of opening Red-Blue, then, yeah, they should "finish" the GC BL entrance.
 #1376690  by Disney Guy

jamesinclair wrote:And not opening the direct Blue Line entrance is a crime and the decision makers should be imprisoned
There would be no urge to open the Blue Line to street exit for passengers unless an elevator could be installed there for full accessibility's sake.
 #1377325  by jamesinclair

Disney Guy wrote:
jamesinclair wrote:And not opening the direct Blue Line entrance is a crime and the decision makers should be imprisoned
There would be no urge to open the Blue Line to street exit for passengers unless an elevator could be installed there for full accessibility's sake.
ADA does not require that every entrance have an elevator