Railroad Forums 

• Haverhill Line Upgrades (Western Route)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1430888  by octr202

Some of them. On 215 (fka 231) you'd crawl through Wyoming and Cedar Park due to the slow order UrbEx mentioned, but Highlands and Greenwood were passed at track speed. And what a fun ride on jointed rail (before the recent tie replacement jobs) in a rough riding car.
 #1433954  by insider485

And the beat goes on!!!!!
Looks like they will tie in the main line to the new section of track coming from the wildcat branch this weekend.
I noticed a new switch already cut-in located around the bend coming from Reading station on the wildcat side.
Looks to me they will move the main line to the center/middle track (under the middle bridge signal) track.
Bussing this weekend again to continue with track upgrades.
:wink:
 #1436919  by radio man

On Monday July 3 C&S crew testing the new signals at Lowell Junction Road. From what I was told it looks like track 1 might be cut over this coming weekend with all switching to be done at new Lowell Junction switch. Amtrak to run east on track 2 and commuter rail to run track 1 to Lowell Junction. The following weekend they may cut in the switch at Wilmington Junction. De-stressing has been on-going for the last week on track 1.
 #1438816  by charlesriverbranch

Passing southbound on a Downeaster yesterday, I got a good look at the current state of double-tracking. The second track ends just north of the Ballardvale station, then resumes just south of Ballardvale and runs all the way to the junction with the Wildcat branch, where it ends. There is a metal shed/building in the way of the new track at Ballardvale, and it looks like the highway crossing signals just south of the station need to be relocated as well before the new track can be laid through the station.

South of Ballardvale I saw sets of signals with their heads cut off, and a brand new signal bridge at the Wildcat junction with all its heads facing west, i.e. 90 degrees from any direction an engineer might be looking.

The Wildcat branch will apparently connect at a new location several hundred feet south of the current one; a switch has been installed and some new track laid from the current Wildcat track toward the existing Haverhill track.

The Downeaster was delayed by several minutes passing through the work zone.
 #1438935  by insider485

That's for the update.................but it's old news. Disappointing that the cut-in, track relocation at the wildcat work area did not take place last weekend. We are still running on the old existing rails on the main line. Must be that the signal issues still lagging.
I did notice that the new double signal bridge at the LJ Shawsheen river bridge was lit-up like a Christmas tree yesterday. Looks like its now active in controlling traffic though LJ area. Maybe the next bussing weekend will be the one that re-directs the main/wildcat tracks !!!! :P
 #1439088  by BostonUrbEx

The MBTA was putting together some sort of RFP for completing the double track through Ballardvale and building a new Ballardvale station. I don't know if it will actually be put out or what its current status is. It was on their radar, at least.
 #1439122  by insider485

Still would need a complete package to include a new Andover station stop on now track 1. Until that gets resolved nothing will come out at Ballardville upgrade.
The Town is still dragging there feet on where to re-locate the DPW yard and a new deal with the MBTA land swap still needs to be done. So the bottleneck will continue for the foreseeable future!!!!
:(