Railroad Forums 

• CharlieCard / Ticket discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#295060  by sjd0356

Park Street westbound is up and running. I noticed they removed one of the collectors booths on the westbound to add more room for ticket machines.

#295069  by Ron Newman

I was pleased to learn that what used to be an exit-only stairway, from the south end of the southbound Green Line platform, now has two Charlie gates.

#295163  by jamesinclair

I have a question about the D-line FVMs....

Whats the point?

1) Trolleys dont have the new boxes yet, and wont for awhile
2) New boxes accept cash, so no need for a ticket
3) If price hike happens, tickets and cash will both be just as much as a ripoff.

I dont see why we need them in above ground stops.

#295169  by AznSumtinSumtin

1) The FVM's aren't operational yet. They will be once the trolleys get the new fareboxes.

2) Try riding 5xx series express bus someday. It takes FOREVER when people pay with coins.

3) It's not about how much the fare will be, it's about how fast it takes to board. It's faster using a CharlieTicket than to pay with coins.

#295193  by geoff2

jamesinclair wrote:I have a question about the D-line FVMs....

Whats the point?

3) If price hike happens, tickets and cash will both be just as much as a ripoff.

AznSumtinSumtin made good points, but also, it will cost as much to board using a ticket as using cash, but it will cost less using a card. And for folks who don't have consistent internet access at home (or, also likely, who aren't computer proficient), it's a good way to reload their CharlieCard.

#295455  by octr202

jamesinclair wrote:I have a question about the D-line FVMs....

Whats the point?

The Green Line cars will have the new fareboxes sooner than you think. Given the slow process of someone paying a $3 fare in quarters on a new farebox, the tickets will be essential.

I'm of two minds. If someone wants to put coins in the farebox, it'll take a while, but hopefully most people will be persuaded to trade their currency for a ticket while they wait for the train.

Also, keep in mind that this will mostly be a key issue at off peak times -- peak riders will either use a pass or figure out the ticket drill pretty quick.

As for taking a long time -- well, a station-load of weekend riders all trying to cram $3 in bills in the farebox isn't real fast either.

#296021  by geoff2

CharlieCard coming in November, per Mac Daniel, citing MBTA spokesman, who expects "hundreds of thousands" in distribution by the end of the year.

#296033  by mattster

About those gates... today I ate lunch in the Common and was nearest to the new used-to-be-exit-only entrance to Park Street. I went down with my pass in hand and found both gates wide open. I stood there for a bit confused and proceeded to walk through. Imagine my shock when the alarm went off and the gates literally closed on me. It didn't really hurt, but it was alarming in the least.

They tricked me!

#296051  by Ron Newman

Did you put the pass into the gate, or just walk through?

#296054  by danib62

mattster wrote:About those gates... today I ate lunch in the Common and was nearest to the new used-to-be-exit-only entrance to Park Street. I went down with my pass in hand and found both gates wide open. I stood there for a bit confused and proceeded to walk through. Imagine my shock when the alarm went off and the gates literally closed on me. It didn't really hurt, but it was alarming in the least.

They tricked me!
I think they were testing your honesty and you failed! :-D

#296071  by mattster

I didn't put my pass through because they were wide open! I'm so used to seeing them offline shortly after installation with people being waved through.

#296271  by Diverging Route

North Station was a mess at rush hour this morning. As commuters from the CR funneled into the fare area, the "green monster" was up and everyone had to queue to a single person watching over a coin bucket and letting pass-holders through. Since the change booth is gone, she was waving people through who didn't have the exact cash fare.

#296337  by danib62

Today I took the 553 downtown again from Waltham. Got the new farebox which read "pay $0.90". I mention to the driver that I'm going downtown and it should be $2.20. She just tells me to put in my money (I was paying using 2 tokens). I put in the first one and it spits out a change ticket worth $0.35 which she takes and rips in two. I put in the second one and it spits out another which she lets me keep. I guess I owe the T a nickel! Last time I rode the driver would ask ppl where they were going and adjust the box accordingly. I guess she wasn't as up to date on the new farebox. Nothing better then an employee who doesn't know the AFC system at all. She was also handing out the old paper transfers rather then printing them from the new box like I've seen other drivers do.

#296338  by danib62

Today I also bought a zone 2 commuter rail ticket from a new FVM. When I tried to hand it to the conductor he just looked at it and continued on his way. I then point out that it's just one way and he remarks that he hadn't seen those before and thought it was just a pass. He took it from me and thanked me for keeping him up to date on the new system.

#296599  by sabourinj

savebowdoin wrote:Are you sure you bought a one way ticket? I didn't think the machines were selling single tickets, just 12-rides and passes.

Mike
Yup - for the past month or so the FVMs also sell one way tickets. Press Tickets, then the Yellow Commuter Rail button and you get all the CR ticket options.