Railroad Forums 

• CharlieCard / Ticket discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#285440  by octr202

helium wrote:Clearly there are always going to be a-holes who choose to litter.
But couldn't the T have a trash bin with a small slot in it for used tickets, right near the gates?
That way only the tickets could go in it and easily be recycled.
I'd hazard a guess that the people that won't just carry their spent ticket, or deposit it in a trash can that's already in the station are pretty unlikely use a special "ticket collection can" either.

I've been noticing that at the south entrances to Kendall, passign trains can actually blow scattered tickets up the stairs on occasion so they can float around on the street too.

#285473  by helium

I'd hazard a guess that the people that won't just carry their spent ticket, or deposit it in a trash can that's already in the station are pretty unlikely use a special "ticket collection can" either.
That's true. But hopefully if the collection thing is RIGHT THERE, vs. a walk down to the platform where the trash barrels reside, they'd do it.

#285486  by aline1969

double posted...sorry
Last edited by aline1969 on Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#285489  by aline1969

Forest hills is a mess of these used cards... poeple should put more than 1.25 to get through, then less cards would be needed and trashed if people did not one time them.

#285508  by jck

I believe the trash situation will improve somewhat when the card system is available everywhere. Right now there is little incentive to store much value on a card that can be used at about 1/2 the T stations, and a very small number of buses.

It's trivial to covert money or tokens into a card as needed, but impossible to do the reverse.
 #285920  by aline1969

As one knows the 57 was the A green line and this is mostly Brighton's route (boston) I disagree with making the 501/503 a higher fare that would no longer accept the combo pass. This brighton corridor since former A, any bus should be covered with combo passes...my feelings :)
 #286946  by aline1969

I like the looks of the new fare boxes... got one on an RTS today 501 turnpike. Is this what will be installed on the green line cars also?
 #287021  by sabourinj

aline1969 wrote:I like the looks of the new fare boxes... got one on an RTS today 501 turnpike. Is this what will be installed on the green line cars also?
Yes, the green line fareboxes are the same.
Last edited by sabourinj on Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#287022  by AznSumtinSumtin

Yes, this is what will be installed on the Green Line vehicles.

#287024  by aline1969

Great, thank you :P

#287595  by MBTA3247

In Japan, the turnstiles simply eat any ticket that is no longer usable, eliminating the litter problem. (You need your ticket to both enter and exit the system, so it'll usually be eaten when you leave, unless it's a multiple-trip pass.)

What do the new bus/trolley fareboxes look like? Are they an improvement over the old "exact change or monthly pass only" ones or just an updated version of those with a new card reader?

It looks like the Sullivan Square AFC conversion is almost finished.

#287600  by sabourinj

MBTA3247 wrote:In Japan, the turnstiles simply eat any ticket that is no longer usable, eliminating the litter problem. (You need your ticket to both enter and exit the system, so it'll usually be eaten when you leave, unless it's a multiple-trip pass.)

What do the new bus/trolley fareboxes look like? Are they an improvement over the old "exact change or monthly pass only" ones or just an updated version of those with a new card reader?

It looks like the Sullivan Square AFC conversion is almost finished.
Take a look at the following links for information. The first is a picture, the second two are informational flyers. The new fareboxes accept CharlieTickets, CharlieCards, cash, coins, and tokens. Change over 11 cents is printed on a CharlieTicket so you can use $1, $5, $10, $20 bills.

http://www.mbta.com/projects_underway/i ... ebox_e.jpg
http://www.mbta.com/projects_underway/a ... 0Flyer.pdf
http://www.mbta.com/projects_underway/a ... x_0706.pdf

#287775  by bbfen

I don't think I've seen it mentioned on this board, but Hynes install is complete. I didn't have work today, so can't confirm until I ride downtown later tonight, though last night an employee said they were starting this morning.

Also, they installed faregates at the long-closed Boylston Street/southeast entrance to Hynes/ICA, and that will be open. (!!)

Interesting that during the install, all the equipment was marked "Auditorium" and not "Hynes/ICA." The old never dies in the MBTA.

#287781  by Ron Newman

They need to drop "/ICA" from the station name anyway, so maybe it makes sense to revert to "Auditorium".

#288934  by sjd0356

Sullivan station is in full Charlie operation as of Friday September 1st