Railroad Forums 

• Rail Vision Station Opening and Closing

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1526382  by Ryanontherails

So I was looking at the Rail Vision plans and noticed that under Option 6 the following stations would be closed: Prides Crossing, North Wilmington, Silver Hill, Hastings, Kendal Green, Plimptonville, and Plymouth.

They also add the following stations, not just under Option 6 but some of the other options as well: Wonderland on the Newburyport/Rockport Line; I-93 Reading/Wilmington on the Haverhill Line; I-95 Waltham/Weston on the Fitchburg Line; and both Riverside and West Stations on the Worcester Line.

I should note that two stations aren't so much opened or closed but rather moved or replaced: North Wilmington is replaced by the stop at I-93, while Kendal Green is replaced by the stop at I-95.

Now most of the stations being closed make perfect sense. Prides Crossing is close to Beverly Farms; Silver Hill and Hastings are dinky, make no sense whatsoever, and only exist because Weston wants them to; and Plimptonville is dinky and close to both Walpole and Windsor Gardens. I do disagree on North Wilmington because while it's tiny, it is in a good location. I also remember someone saying that Kingston should've been built at the old location and have Plymouth Station actually in downtown Plymouth where the bike path now is.

There are, however, a number of stations I think should also be closed. Norwood Depot is one- you can see it from Norwood Central! Canton Center is another as you can see Canton Junction from it as well. Hyde Park is close to Fairmount and won't make sense if the Fairmount Line is Indigo'd. With the Indigo Line to Riverside, Auburndale probably becomes redundant. Endicott probably could go as well.

Adding a station at Wonderland to me is an odd one- is the Blue Line to Lynn not going to happen? Should there be a stop there at all? I think the Needham Line should just be replaced by the Orange Line, Green Line, or both and not Indigo'd, however that goes beyond Rail Vision anyway. I think that a new station at Newton Corner would be good for the neighborhood and several bus connections there. That would be an Indigo stop though.

So what do you think? I'm surprised no one else has noticed some of these proposals.
 #1526466  by rethcir

I think indigoing the Newburyport/Rockport to Lynn or beyond would be in lieu of a blue line extension. Doesn’t really make a lot of sense to do both. Maybe shoot the blue line out to Point of Pines, so they aren’t left out, if it’s a pretty dense neighborhood I don’t know.

I don’t know how they’d tie the Wonderland commuter rail and BL stations together though. There’s a significant distance between the two ROWs, and I know there is going to be a major development at the old dog track.

Has anyone heard if any actual movement on the project has occurred since the board vote?