Railroad Forums 

• towns with more than one commuter rail line

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1525892  by NRGeep

Weston with Fitchburg line stops and sliver of B&A (no stops) and Medford with Lowell line stop and Haverhill line (no stops) through Wellington come to mind.
 #1525910  by edbear

Wilmington - Lowell Line, North Wilmington - Haverhill Line, Weymouth stops on the Plymouth/Kingston and Greenbush Lines
Stops within city limits of Boston on the Old Colony (JFK-UMass), Fairmount, Providence and Needham Lines
Islington Sta, Westwood - Franklin Line, University Ave-Rte 128, Westwood - Providence Line
 #1525925  by twropr

I can't off the top of my head think of any today that have more than two railroads serving them, but can say that pre-1976 Newark Penn Station had commuter trains from both CNJ and PC. Today Penn Station has NJ Transit's Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast and Raritan Valley lines. Newark Broad St. has NJT's Morristown and Montclair-Boonton lines and Summit has the Morristown Line and Gladstone Branch. On SEPTA Jenkintown is served by both the Main Line/Warminster Line and the West Trenton Branch. On VRE, Alexandria is served by both the Fredericksburg and Manassas lines. Are there some station CA (maybe San Jose) that are served both by Caltrain and Altamont Express?
Andy
 #1525926  by RenegadeMonster

Does Boston count as a town?

This question makes me wonder though. Before the rail line (I forget what it was called), was lost in the late 70's and turned into the Red Line though Alewife what towns/cities would have seen a stop from this line that also currently have a stop by todays existing lines.
 #1525934  by TomNelligan

The Red Line between Davis Square and Alewife burrows under the right-of-way of the B&M's Hill Crossing Freight Cutoff, which crossed Somerville and Cambridge. At Alewife, station construction led to the abandonment of the B&M's Bedford Branch, which at the time ran from West Cambridge to Bedford via Arlington and Lexington. Those towns had no other rail service then or now.
 #1525935  by CRail

Passenger service did exist on the cutoff but it was discontinued very early on.
 #1525939  by The EGE

All four northside lines cross through Somerville, though none have stopped for decades. (1938 on the Fitchburg Line and 1958 on the other three). The Western Route passes through Medford, though it hasn't had a stop there since 1957.
 #1526221  by jonnhrr

Beverly has stops on both the Rockport and Newburyport lines.
 #1526473  by diburning

The EGE wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:49 pm All four northside lines cross through Somerville, though none have stopped for decades. (1938 on the Fitchburg Line and 1958 on the other three). The Western Route passes through Medford, though it hasn't had a stop there since 1957.
Well, part of Porter's platform is in Somerville, if that counts!
 #1526579  by charlesriverbranch

The EGE wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:49 pm All four northside lines cross through Somerville, though none have stopped for decades. (1938 on the Fitchburg Line and 1958 on the other three). The Western Route passes through Medford, though it hasn't had a stop there since 1957.
Is West Medford not actually in Medford?
 #1526596  by The EGE

The Western Route is the former B&M main line, on which the Haverhill Line now runs. There were once stations at Charlestown (at Gilmore Bridge), East Somerville (at Cambridge Street), Wellington (at 5th Street), Edgeworth (at Medford Street), Malden, Oak Grove, and Fells (at Stone Place) south of Wyoming. Charlestown was short-lived and almost no information about it exists. Wellington closed with the rest of the Medford Branch on October 1, 1957. East Somerville, Edgeworth, Oak Grove, and Fells closed on May 18, 1958 when the B&M shed most inner-core stations, leaving only skeleton service at Malden.

For reference, the New Hampshire Route (Lowell Line) had stations at East Cambridge (3rd Street), Prospect Hill (Washington Street; replaced Milk Row around 1887), Gilman Square, Somerville Junction, North Somerville (Broadway), Tufts College, Medford Hillside (North Street), and West Medford. East Cambridge and Prospect Hill closed on April 25, 1927, during expansion of the North Station yards. (Somerville Highlands, West Cambridge, and North Cambridge Junction on the Fitchburg Cutoff also closed then.) Gilman Square closed in the early 1930s, Somerville Junction probably in the early 1950s, and Tufts, North Somerville, and Medford Hillside on May 18, 1958.

The Fitchburg Route had stations at Charlestown (originally near Fitchburg Street, later Water Street), Somerville (Webster Avenue), Somerville (Park Street, originally at Kent Street), Porter, West Cambridge (split with Watertown Branch), Hill Crossing (Brighton Street), Belmont, and Waverley. Charlestown closed early in the streetcar era. Union Square and Somerville closed with the Watertown Branch in 1938. West Cambridge lasted until the 1950s; Hill Crossing probably until the 1930s. Belmont and Waverly closed on May 18, 1958, but reopened on March 4, 1974.

The Lexington Branch had four stations in Arlington: Lake Street, Arlington Centre, Brattles, and Arlington Heights. All closed in the 1958 cuts; Arlington Centre reopened in 1965, followed by Lake Street in 1968.

The Eastern Route had stations at East Somerville, Everett (Broadway), East Everett (2nd Street), Chelsea, Forbes, Revere, Oak Island, and West Lynn. I believe only East Somerville, Everett, Chelsea, and Forbes lasted until 1958. East Everett lasted until around 1950; Revere, Oak Island, and West Lynn probably closed earlier due to the BRB&L. The Saugus Branch had eight stations in Everett, Malden, and Revere; I'm not sure which lasted until 1958 and which didn't.

Closure dates of a lot of the southside stations aren't as well documented (possibly because there was no similar mass closure of inner-belt stations).
 #1529028  by BostonUrbEx

EGE—or anyone—do you have any idea where Caryville station in Chelsea was? It appear as a footnote in the schedules of an 1800s employee timetable for the Eastern Railroad. I figure it might have some physical relation to Cary Ave, but perhaps not, especially since that would be really close to the main Chelsea station.
 #1529087  by The EGE

I can't say for sure. Caryville (neighborhood, not station) is listed as the northeast terminus of Cherry and Chestnut in an 1861 city directory. I'm unfortunately on the opposite coast from most of my books for a few days. I don't see any maps showing stations between Chelsea and Forbes. It may well have been an extremely-short-lived kinda-private stop, a freight siding, or so on.
 #1529782  by ceo

[quote=diburning post_id=1526473 time=1575011707 user_id=13222]
Well, part of Porter's platform is in Somerville, if that counts!
[/quote]
I'm... pretty sure that's not true? If Google Maps and the Transit app are correct, the Red Line doesn't hit the Somerville border until it crosses under the intersection of Elm St, Beech St and Willow Ave, which is a quarter mile from the Porter headhouse.
 #1529788  by caduceus

ceo wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:52 pm
diburning wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:15 am Well, part of Porter's platform is in Somerville, if that counts!
I'm... pretty sure that's not true? If Google Maps and the Transit app are correct, the Red Line doesn't hit the Somerville border until it crosses under the intersection of Elm St, Beech St and Willow Ave, which is a quarter mile from the Porter headhouse.
The inbound end of the commuter rail platform crosses the Somerville line.