Railroad Forums 

• Derailment Near Southampton Yard

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1506378  by trains18

[Post Deleted by Moderator]
Last edited by CRail on Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total. Reason: Fallacious statements and conduct unbecoming.
 #1506383  by 8th Notch

Well I’m going to assume you have no clue as to what happened here nor the territory involved. For starters the engineer was not on the leading end operating the train so he is not fully responsible for the train passing the stop signal. Secondly cab signal rules are not in effect on the Dorchester branch so there wouldn’t be any signal info displayed in the cab. So maybe you shouldn’t be so quick to jump to conclusions without knowing all of the facts and while the investigation is ongoing. You don’t know whether someone had a medical emergency, something failed mechanically on the equipment or within the signal system, or all of the above so maybe get your facts straight before posting ignorant remarks about the crew being idiots.
Last edited by CRail on Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary nesting quotes removed.
 #1506390  by MBTA3247

When shuffling trains around the yard, the engineer will stay in the cab of the locomotive, with a conductor or brakeman on the rear of the train during backup moves to relay signal indications, switch positions, remaining distance, etc by radio. Otherwise you'd be wasting a lot of time while the engineer repeatedly walks from one end of the train to the other and performs a brake test.
 #1506411  by 8th Notch

MBTA3247 wrote:When shuffling trains around the yard, the engineer will stay in the cab of the locomotive, with a conductor or brakeman on the rear of the train during backup moves to relay signal indications, switch positions, remaining distance, etc by radio. Otherwise you'd be wasting a lot of time while the engineer repeatedly walks from one end of the train to the other and performs a brake test.
Although that has now changed after the incident, the engineer must now always lead when possible on the DB and MM.
 #1506415  by neman2

I assume DB is Dorchester Branch? What is MM? I work in this area periodically and noticed that there were more trains sitting for long periods and moving a lot more slowly this week. Won"t this impact schedules?
Last edited by CRail on Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary nesting quotes removed. Do not use the "quote" button as a reply button.
 #1506441  by 8th Notch

MM is Middleborough Mainline, none of the new rules in place will have an impact on schedules since the special instructions only really have an effect on yard moves being done.
Last edited by CRail on Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary nesting quotes removed. Do not use the "quote" button as a reply button.
 #1506546  by RenegadeMonster

At least two, likely 3.

374, 1533 are out of service for sure, both seen in the video of the collision / derailment and listed as OOS awaiting car body repairs.

I think 211 can be added to this list. As both those cars listed above were on the same train. I can't see the car number of the car on the other train in the video. 211 is also OOS awaiting car body repairs.
 #1506627  by sonicdoommario

The 211 appears to be in service according to NETransit, leaving just two cars out from the derailment.

Is it really worth it for them at this point to get the 1533 repaired? Got to imagine they'd use this as an opportunity to get rid of another MBB car.
 #1506658  by trains18

8th Notch wrote:Well I’m going to assume you have no clue as to what happened here nor the territory involved. For starters the engineer was not on the leading end operating the train so he is not fully responsible for the train passing the stop signal. Secondly cab signal rules are not in effect on the Dorchester branch so there wouldn’t be any signal info displayed in the cab. So maybe you shouldn’t be so quick to jump to conclusions without knowing all of the facts and while the investigation is ongoing. You don’t know whether someone had a medical emergency, something failed mechanically on the equipment or within the signal system, or all of the above so maybe get your facts straight before posting ignorant remarks about the crew being idiots.
Excuse my ignorance but they announced on the news from the investigation that it is the crews' fault for running the red signal. That's why they said it was human error, not a mechanical failure like the other recent ones were. And yes I do wait for the news to bring the facts from the investigation out before opening my mouth. Thank you very much! Well it doesn't matter now, they said that crew is out of service while the investigation continues.