Railroad Forums 

• Merrimack Valley Gas Emergency; Related Service Issues

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1485835  by Disney Guy

Several street gas mains in Andover, North Andover, and Lawrence became overpressurized probably due to a malfunctioning gas substation pressure regulator. This caused damage to water heaters and other equipment in scattered homes and buildings throughout that area and some of the homes and buildings (reportedly about one hundred altogether) caught fire or exploded due to gas leakage from the damaged equipment.

Possible exterior damage to gas mains or equipment from the overpressure leading to an accumulation of gas in the atmosphere outside that, if near the railroad, could be ignited by a passing train.
 #1485856  by BandA

The Columbia Gas Company posted a news release on their website today about upgrades to the gas system occurring around the state. https://www.columbiagasma.com/en/about- ... sachusetts

Gas explosions & fires began about 4:45PM

If you are from outside the area or living under a rock, 1 18yo dead when house exploded and chimney fell onto a car in the driveway. He was sitting in the car. 10 or 11 in the hospital with injuries from explosions and some smoke inhalation.

5 exit ramps on I-495 closed (entrance ramps open). Power has been shut off. Evacuations have been ordered, especially in south Lawrence.

Andover, North Andover, and Lawrence south of the Merrimack River affected. 38 fires in Andover alone, something like 70 fires overall. Nobody from the gas company had spoken to Andover as-of 9PM. Andover fire struck 10 alarms + summoned two "task forces" from the state.

I ASSUME and SPECULATE that the gas company somehow connected the high-pressure system to the low pressure system, or broke the pressure regulator. I ASSUME that this has nothing to do with National Grid locking out their gas workers, but I assume those workers weren't available for mutual aid. National Grid and Columbia Gas are completely separate companies AFAIK.

Obviously, MBTA & Amtrak could not operate through an uncontrolled gas leak / fire zone. Presumably railroad equipment is out-of-position and needs to be moved.....
 #1485865  by Diverging Route

Haverhill line truncated at Reading today. Buses from Haverhill and Bradford to Anderson/Woburn where there will be free parking. Keolis says "additional capacity" on Lowell Line trains today; unknown yet if this means additional coaches on existing trains or supplemental service.
 #1485886  by GP40MC1118

Extra sets...no sets made it to Bradford yesterday. Everything back to Boston, so there's your increased capacity.
Two Downeaster sets in Boston too (685/687)

D