Railroad Forums 

• West Medford (and grade crossing) perceived inefficiencies

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1487113  by Arlington

Thanks to the mods for allowing the question about the crossing and its reflectivity to stand.

2) Are there visibility standards for the crossing-inserts?

---
Already answered:
1) No fence on Clearance Route
3) Rules for stations like W.Med in NORAC 121 (p46 & 47)
 #1487126  by BostonUrbEx

Arlington wrote:No fence on Clearance Route
There are fences at Wedgemere, Winchester, and Mishawum. However, measuring the space between tracks to the best of my ability on Google Maps, West Medford has less than 7ft (~6.5?) between the two tracks' inside rails, whereas the other three stations seem to have more than 7ft (~7.5?). Wyoming Hill has a similar track spacing but has a fence, but is not on a clearance route.
 #1517557  by StefanW

BostonUrbEx wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:24 pm I doubt there was a crossing tender at 1:25am, I believe the hours are approximately 6:00am to 10:00pm. I don't know the exact hours off hand, but that's just a ballpark.
I found in some authoritative material (as of 2018) the West Medford High St. crossing tender is on duty 7AM to 2AM daily.

Interestingly, the crossing tender at Greenwood on the Western Route has a different schedule: 6:05AM to 12:30AM Monday to Friday, and 7:45AM to Midnight Saturday and Sunday. (Why it's specifically 6:05AM I bet has a very interesting back-story I'd love to know.)