Railroad Forums 

• New Program lets U redraw the MBTA Subway

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1456596  by Bramdeisroberts

JPoland wrote:I tried turning the Minuteman Bike trail into a subway line to Lexington MA and the result was that I only got 9,000 more riders.
It's all about the station spacing, though what the ridership algorithms basically show is that the Arlington stops will pull similar ridership to the quieter Braintree branch stations, while the Lexington stations will show less ridership.

One (hypothetical) way to take care of that would be to build a mirror of the Mattapan high-speed line to the north, running from Alewife to Bedford Center, and short-turn some of the trains with a loop at Arlington Heights. If you could keep the stations to D-branch levels of opulence, it could be done pretty cheaply, while being able to coexist with the bikeway for most of the ROW, though imho, trains will always take precedent over cyclists as they are a far more effective way of getting people out of their cars.
 #1471935  by BostonUrbEx

Whelp... the website is gone (as of March 31st), but the software lives on! Looks like it requires some other software downloads, too, but should all be free as far as I can tell.

https://mailchi.mp/4bc73b7a4337/enmodal ... n-march-31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1471960  by andrewjw

BandA wrote:The README.md file contains installation instructions. For ubuntu linux they are not completely accurate...
If you find them inaccurate, fork and submit a pull request!
 #1472003  by BandA

andrewjw wrote:
BandA wrote:The README.md file contains installation instructions. For ubuntu linux they are not completely accurate...
When I get through them. So far postgresql database needs to be installed before the python requirements, and the ¨virtualenv¨ can´t handle spaces in the directory name.
 #1472070  by andrewjw

BandA wrote:
andrewjw wrote:
When I get through them. So far postgresql database needs to be installed before the python requirements, and the ¨virtualenv¨ can´t handle spaces in the directory name.
just escape the spaces with \ characters or put the directory names in quotes?
 #1472122  by blackcap

I’ll use made-up examples here to show how spaces in file names are dealt with in Windows, Mac, and Linux.

In Windows, use double quotes:
“C:\Program Files\Example\Example File.file”

In Mac and Linux, use apostrophes (single quotes):
‘/usr/bin/Example File.file’
 #1472200  by BandA

no, the directory where I cloned the repository was something like "/media/username/My Passport/downloads/blah". It's a bug somewhere in the scripting. Solution was to move it somewhere else. it's feeling like the directions weren't tested. Geographic extension has to be added to the database before the tables are populated. psycopg is installed twice. etc.
 #1473097  by CRail

MODERATOR NOTE: PLEASE use extreme care clicking offsite links (and just as careful posting them). Should any file or program being shared or discussed here be found to contain any malware or have a negative effect on your machine or device, please let me or an administrator know immediately.
 #1473188  by andrewjw

GitHub is a website for sharing the source code of the program, not the final copy - so anyone running enmodal for themselves should be able to read through how it works to verify for themselves that it's not doing anything unexpected. GitHub itself is used widely in software engineering and has a strong revenue stream from enterprise accounts with private repositories. I don't think there is any need for concern about this particular link. :)
 #1473440  by andrewjw

BandA wrote:Our moderator is just trying to protect us by getting us to Stop and Think. Also, when is the last time you read through *all* the code, lol
Haha, fair. Something could be hidden in the libraries. The app itself is only like 5 kloc of javascript, though.