Railroad Forums 

• Electronic Display Signs on CR Coaches

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1480670  by sonicdoommario

Don't know if it has been mentioned here, but I've noticed that the train's destination on the LED signs seem to correlate with whether or not the train has a functioning GPS. Watched trains at Attleboro today from 3-6:30PM, and the trains whose GPS was not reporting the location/control car just had T logos on the LED signs (control cars 1801 and 1820 from today spring to mind), while the trains that you could track their GPS had functioning LED signs.
 #1480681  by CRail

The signs are controlled by the PTIS which operates in conjunction with the GPS. If the PTIS isn’t working you won’t get signs or tracking.
 #1524645  by RenegadeMonster

Just saw an interesting scenario tonight.

It looks like if there are more than one control cabs in the set that have a PTIS the PTIS in the control cab not acting as the control cab can take charge.

As we all know only the Rotems and Rebuilt K car control cabs output data. The 15XX and 16XX do not display anything on the electronic signs other than the T logo.

Currently on the North Side 1706 is part of the set in the quiet car position, the first car behind the locomotive. 1647 is the control cap.

Both 1706 and the Rotem that was the second car behind the engine were out putting full stop information and destination.

Can someone explain more whats going on here and how that's working?
 #1524651  by sonicdoommario

I've also seen that on one of the 8 car sets, the newly rebuilt and recently put back into service 1716 is the lead car, while 1718 is trailing right behind it. I have not seen any GPS reporting from the 1716, but sometimes the 1718 will pick up the slack and report the position of the train. Kind of disappointing that the 1716 is fresh out of Alstom and does not appear to have a functioning GPS.