Railroad Forums 

• GLX Impact on NH Route (Lowell Line)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1467535  by ceo

And I was told in one of the station meetings prior to the redesign that the Lowell Line will be single-tracked through the work area for the duration, or at least until the bridges are rebuilt. I haven't heard if that's still the plan.
 #1467562  by Arlington

ceo wrote:And I was told in one of the station meetings prior to the redesign that the Lowell Line will be single-tracked through the work area for the duration, or at least until the bridges are rebuilt. I haven't heard if that's still the plan.
That's my understanding too.

The question then arises: Are the bridges being rebuilt to create 2 slots on the GLX's side, or "one slot each" that would allow the Lowell line to be moved one slot outward on the North (through places like Ball Square & Gilman) while the GLX takes a Lowell slot plus a new slot on the south of the ROW (much like has been done through Tufts/College Ave/Harvard St in Medford)

UrbEx seems to think the answer is (and I'm inclined to believe him) "Yes: along most of the route, the Lowell Line will have to be moved"
BostonUrbEx wrote:I believe the only place where the New Hampshire Route is properly aligned for GLX is at Tufts interlocking and the Havard St undergrade bridge. Everything from Havard St south to Washington St/Mystic Jct needs to be moved.
 #1467853  by BostonUrbEx

Last night, surfacing and tamping was done on the new crossovers for the future Tufts interlocking. The work had an interesting side effect of forcing LA-2 down the Western Route and they met BODO in Wakefield — I can't imagine the last time something like that occurred.
 #1468039  by ceo

Commuter rail will move east one "slot"; I've seen plans (pre-redesign) that show a new track being built east of the existing northbound track, and the latter then becomes the southbound track. I'd be surprised if there weren't places where they have to kick the existing track over a foot or two as well.
 #1469035  by BostonUrbEx

More signal changes this weekend, this time for the ABS signals between Somerville Jct and Winchester. I believe all current ABS signals will be retired, and the new signals at the Grove St OHB will be cut in. Ultimately, it will be the distant for Winchester going north, and the distant for Tufts going south. That swap from Somerville Jct to Tufts should be next weekend.

Also, not the New Hampshire Route, but... tracks will be thrown at Swift this weekend as part of the new Swift layout for GLX.
 #1469218  by Arlington

BostonUrbEx wrote:More signal changes this weekend, this time for the ABS signals between Somerville Jct and Winchester. I believe all current ABS signals will be retired, and the new signals at the Grove St OHB will be cut in. Ultimately, it will be the distant for Winchester going north, and the distant for Tufts going south. That swap from Somerville Jct to Tufts should be next weekend.

Also, not the New Hampshire Route, but... tracks will be thrown at Swift this weekend as part of the new Swift layout for GLX.
I noticed the Grove St signals for the first time Sunday night looking north from West Medford. How'd it slip my notice that they were there?

Will the signals at Canal St still be "a thing" after singals at Grove St and Tufts Garage are active?
 #1469283  by Arlington

I saw today that the signal heads at Tufts (garage) were lit! (but turned 90deg sideways, so as to face me (on Boston Ave as I drove by) rather than turned to be visible by trains.
 #1470194  by Arlington

When should we expect the Lowell Line to get a "single track schedule" (schedule which can be operated given single-tracking through Somerville)?

Although the Tufts signals are still pointed sideways, I'd have thought they'd be getting ahead of the situation and already have a schedule ready to go...or already out there for a date-certain so that when the single-track is ready, the single track schedule is in force and all the GLX work along the ROW can start.
 #1470315  by Trinnau

There is no plan for continuous single tracking, rush hour service will still have access to two tracks. The rest of the schedule already allows for single-track, but may need to be coordinated a bit with the Downeaster. Schedule changes usually take place in the spring anyway, so we should see one soon.
 #1470508  by BostonUrbEx

Tufts cutover did not occur last weekend as was previously planned. Tufts should go live this weekend instead, and testing and final prep has already been happening overnight. This prep work has led to 3702 and 3701 operating entirely via the Western Route the past few nights and has also impacted LA-2's routine. LA-2 has been turning at Montvale and Wednesday night LA-5 went down the Western Route with Boston traffic for BO-1. The facing point crossover at Somerville Jct will be removed from service later today, Friday April 27th. The trailing point crossover will be removed from service on Saturday, along with the permanent retirement of Somerville Jct this weekend. After this weekend, the only New Hampshire Route work that will remain [as far as I know] will be shifting tracks over and a new switch for the Yard 10 Lead. (EDIT: oh, and removal of the Walnut St Crossover/switch for the Yard 8 Lead, obviously)
 #1470527  by Arlington

For now, are the tracks only being shifted at Yard 10? (I can't decide if the Yard 10 work is going fast or slow...it seems to go at a rate of 1 track panel per week. They are, to their credit digging out the old roadbed fairly deep).

Which parts of the route get shifted when? Does all track shifting wait for all bridges over the tracks to be widened? It even looks like the tracks at the Tufts signal could still be moved another 6' or so further away from the future GLX.
 #1470670  by Arlington

Signals at Tufts are active (lit and facing the rails)
 #1470799  by GP40MC1118

A Test Train using the 2011 was the first train to use Tufts Interlocking around 630PM today.

No.2310 will be the first revenue train to pass through. Amtrak 697 will be the first Downeaster.

D